HardwareSlide scanning / digitizing

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Anyone here have knowledge/experience of scanning old slides to digital files?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
43051.2 In reply to 43051.1 
Have you tried asking PB?

I'm surprised you don't already have photography based solutions to this, were you leaning towards a scanner?  I have no experience, before you get your hopes up, just curious.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER)     
43051.3 In reply to 43051.2 
I'm leaning towards any solution that can cope with thousands of slides, is Debian compatible, and doesn't involve sending them away.

I can conceive a bunch of potential methods for shining a light through a slide and taking a sufficiently high-resolution in-focus image, but there may be unforseen pitfalls, so a known "this will work" solution would be great.

The information is very likely out there somewhere, but trying to search today's web is far too frustrating.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

43051.4 In reply to 43051.3 
> but trying to search today's web is far too frustrating.

It *really* is. I've all but given up on the web as a searchable world of information and insights. It's just a handful of web-apps that I reluctantly use.

As for the slides, there are carousel-fed slide scanners, they're quite expensive. But I'm sure you knew that. And on the software side you'd be dealing with SANE but I assume you knew that too.

You *can* scan slides just by arranging them on a flatbed scanner but the results are obviously pretty low-quality. Easy to chop up with Imagemagick though.

Either way, definitely going to be an un-fun experience and I wish you luck (hug)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

43051.5 In reply to 43051.1 
I have an Epson 1660 flatbed with film/slide scanning. It does a fairly good job for a low-end device. The hardest part is getting dust off the platen and both sides of the originals, and in some cases film curl.
“A man with nicotine, protein, caffeine, and creatine coursing through his veins is an unstoppable force.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

43051.6 In reply to 43051.3 
I think you mean an auto-loading, jam-proof, set it and forget it device. No such animal.

My advice would be to obtain a light table, a real one, cull it down to 100-150 must scan images, and take it from there.
“A man with nicotine, protein, caffeine, and creatine coursing through his veins is an unstoppable force.”
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
43051.7 In reply to 43051.6 
I think any culling has already happened, at least for the bulk, but that could still be a useful idea for grouping.

If I can get something that's a constant white, maybe the least painful option would be tripod with a macro lens, and clamping a ruler so there's only one dimension of alignment to deal with.

I guess the question would then become how much does one need to pay to ensure the light is sufficiently diffused - are the cheap illustrator-targetted options good enough or would they have a subtle pattern when photographed.

According to Andrew Clifforth, it's the latter, but a good diffuser can overcome that, however they want £65+ and 17 working days to send out some plastic. :/

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

43051.8 In reply to 43051.7 
There's a bunch of adaptors for DSLR and cellphone scanning out there, I haven't tried any myself but they look like they could save a ton of alignment and lighting hassles.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
43051.9 In reply to 43051.8 
Hrm, I think I thought I'd looked for that and not found anything, but I guess I hadn't actually looked.

Nikon do one, though obviously it has an uncommon thread size... I think it'll fit my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX, and of course it's £150/160 new, or £115 from the nearest used/refurbished shop, where I could physically confirm it fits, and test whether my extension tubes allow close enough focusing. That's still a fair amount of money for a few bits of plastic.

For a similar price there's a Kenro 302 scanner which can be used standalone and outputs to SD card - though is only 8MP JPGs instead of the cropped 16MP NEF raw files my camera would give, but would probably still be good enough.

But then, I do have a diffuser already, so if that can sufficiently blur the pixels of a bright white screen (I need to go get it and test), then the rest might be tedious but ultimately solvable.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
43051.10 In reply to 43051.4 
p.s. Thanks for your response too - I'm not deliberately ignoring you, just couldn't think of a reply.
+1/1
 Reply   Quote More 

43051.11 In reply to 43051.10 
I said nothing useful, no worries!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

43051.12 In reply to 43051.1 
Various light box/light sources + DSLR set ups that give good results, but it you want a faster solution then would recommend the Plustek Optiscan range. I tried the Epson mentioned above and found it to be awful (had several dead lines on the light source)

I bought one to digitise a load of old film and slides. Didn't bother with the bundled software just used it straight from VueScan. My approach was to get a nice flat well exposed scan and then used a Lightroom plugin to develop them based on profile of the film chemistry they came from (forget the name of it, cost about 20 quid I think)

Once I was done I sold the scanner back on eBay for about 30 quid less than I paid for it 8 months earlier.

https://plustek.com/gbr/products/film-photo-scanners/opticfilm-8200i-se/

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–12

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats