TechnicalUSB Memory Stick Recovery

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
SpinRite is going really slowly. Been running a couple of hours now and only read about 16MB of 240GB. Gonna take a while. I wonder if it will help though.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Fucking /WONDERFUL/!!! :@ I spilled wine over my laptop's keyboard and screen! Luckily only a little bit got between the display and case. Washed the keyboard, gonna give it a bit of time to dry out before using it.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
41441.54 In reply to 41441.53 
Have you removed the battery to be safe?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.55 In reply to 41441.53 
Came home to my biannual can' t boot grubs hosed and maybe so's the partition table. After the usual ministrations all came up good. Then I nearly drenched the keyboard attempting to pour an ice-choked can of IPA into an ill-judged glass. This ain't even Fri 13th. On the good side I subsequently beat the gangsters in the Dead Island supermarket & picked up an M16-alike for my troubles.

----
"Apple Pay accepted at up to 100,000 Coca-Cola machines"
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.56 In reply to 41441.52 
It does take a long time, that's the dynastat process trying to extract some sensible data from each sector, I had one drive take 14 hours, but I did get the data back though,
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
41441.57 In reply to 41441.54 
I tried but it kept slapping my hands away telling me it didn't want to be turned off.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mizzy     
41441.58 In reply to 41441.56 
At this rate its going to take a few of years. It's still only at 0.1%. Hopefully it'll get past a bad bit and speed up, we will see. I'll be amazed if it can recover something.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.59 In reply to 41441.54 
Yes I did take the battery out but no wine on anything critical. Left the keyboard to dry til now and when I plug it in the laptop powers on and off. Either it's still wet or it's broken.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

SpinRite is taking AAAAAGES. I'm gonna try and image the drive instead. If I do do I need anothrr drive as big as this one or only as big as the used space on it?

Yes, looks like I do to try Dd_rescue.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.61 In reply to 41441.59 
The removing the battery is to ensure there's no power so nothing can short - should really do it ASAP. (i.e. quickly save any files then forcibly shut it down.

How are you drying it out? I'm sure it was here that I got the bowl of rice tip from - helps to absorb moisture. Though that's more for phones possibly... a laptop would need a large enough bowl/tray and enough rice.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.62 In reply to 41441.61 
It was only the keyboard I washed. Luckily it contained the wine and stopped it getting to anything underneath. I took it out and washed it under the tap.

Dried it on a paper towel over night and I've since put it on the radiator for a bit. Might try rice if it doesn't start working.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.63 In reply to 41441.62 
What sort of keyboard does it have that you can take it out without a liquid getting anywhere else? Is it one of those detachable transformer ones, or something else?

Also, can you try the machine without the keyboard attached, or does it fail with a press F1 error? :)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.64 In reply to 41441.63 
This one.

I have no way of booting without the keyboard attached because the power button is on the keyboard. I did, however, boot the laptop with another keyboard attached, remove the laptop keyboard and it worked.

And it was only q small amount of wine luckily.

Me

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.65 In reply to 41441.64 
Heh, well hopefully it's just still drying out.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.66 In reply to 41441.65 
Just tried it and managed to get Windows to boot. None of the keys worked.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Dd_rescue has so far imaged ~25% of the drive. 13MB from the start, 40GB after skipping the first 4GB and 20GB from the end.

It was taken ages trying to retrieve the bad bits but I can skip sections of the drive to find good bits. Fingers crossed I'll get some bits back at least.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.68 In reply to 41441.67 
55GB now. Not sure what to do with the image to recover boys yet.

First time I ran it it was copying the drive really quickly. It wasn't until the drive I was creating the image on ran out of space that I realised I was copying my SSD to my other HDD. Got mixed up with SDA and SDB.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.69 In reply to 41441.68 
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :'D

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
41441.70 In reply to 41441.69 
I'm not used to Linux :(

I think it's actually working :O Created an image skipping some bad areas. Might be some other good bits in between but surprisingly little was unrecoverable.

I booted into Windows, mounted the drive with... something, and currently using GetDataBack on it.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

41441.71 In reply to 41441.70 
Quote: 
I'm not used to accustomed to Linux.

There ya go. Maybe in the future there be a distro for you. Linux isn't just for diagnostics/data recovery any more. Imagine: If Linux can do what Windoze can't in terms of recovery, think of how great it will be at doing other things. You won't miss reboots on updates, for one.  ;-)

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–77

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats