SoftwareIs office 2013 annoying?

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)      
40262.21 In reply to 40262.1 
To be honest, I don't mind the ribbon in Office 2010 and Office 2007, I got used to it without any real problems.

I hate Office 2013 not because of the ribbon, but because they've purged all colour and shading from it in order to turn it into a sea of definition-less black and white. After using at work for a few hours on my test rig, I felt like my brain was boiling as it just required so much more effort to be able to use.

So there we are.
---

DR_claim_1_100px.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  All     
40262.22 In reply to 40262.1 
OK, thanks to Matt I now have attachments powerz! And, as thrilling as the discussion on open file formats and office suite interaction was, we didn't really anywhere approach the real issue.

So let's give it another go, shall we kids?

In preparation for possible consulting work, I need to get MS Office. iWork/OpenOffice/LibreOffice/NeoOffice/WhateverthefuckOffice won't cut it because, like it or not, pretty much the whole industry uses MS Office.

For those of you who've been using O2013, and specifically XL2013, I'd appreciate your feedback on one of my most hated bugbears in XL2010. I only realised that things might have changed when I downloaded an evaluation copy of O2011 (Mac) and found XL2011 gets this bit right (although it's had its data analysis innards ripped out.)

The bugbear involves adding error bars to data points on a graph. Attached is a small XL file to play with, and screenshots of how XL2010 and XL2011 handle things.

In XL2010 you style the data series. Then you add the error bars. But in order to do that you have to click on a different tab in the ribbon ('Layout'), then click 'Error Bars', 'More Error Bars Options'. From the dialogue box, 'Verical Error Bars', 'Custom' and specify the error from columns D and E (depending on the data selected, natch).

And even then XL adds feckin' horizontal bars as well :@

In XL2011, things are a whole lot easier. Error bars are just selected from the same dialogue that you use to format the data series (and series order can also be changed here!)

So, gentle forumites, has XL2013 learned the ways of grace and good UI design from XL2011, or is it still as retarded as its buck-toothed, slack-jawed predecessor?

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

Attachments:
XL201x.xlsx

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40262.23 In reply to 40262.22 
I very rarely use office applications but I quite like Libre Office. It works well when people send me stupid office documents that I don't care about. If I actually want to write something in formatted text or make a spreadsheet (even rarer) then I just use Abiword and Gnumeric respectively.

I suppose you could try Google Docs though. Lots of people seem to like that and it supports open formats which I know are important to you.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40262.24 In reply to 40262.23 
It's true that open formats give me a boner. But this is precisely why MSO so enhances my productivity, as I'm far less likely to be playing with myself when I should be working.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40262.25 In reply to 40262.24 
Please make a graph of this for me.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40262.26 In reply to 40262.22 
Excel 2013 on Windows does the attached. Definitely easier than 2011 but also so radically different it took me about 2 minutes to find the error bar options.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40262.27 In reply to 40262.22 
You seem to be saying you hate MSOffice 2010 and, by extension 2013 unless it happens to fix some silly something or other, which you pessimistically believe it hasn't. I can only agree that MSOffice in its current state is a horrible, bloated, and nearly unusable mess. By all means buy it. You won't be disappointed.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
40262.28 In reply to 40262.26 
Thanks Matt, that's helpful. Seems like I wouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to get where I want.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  CHYRON (DSMITHHFX)     
40262.29 In reply to 40262.27 
I don't hate MSO 2010 so much as some aspects of it. And if those apsects have been fixed in 2013 (as suggested by changes in 2011 compared to 2010), then I could live with it.

Other than that, you're almost completely not very far from the mark. Or at least the postal district in which the mark is located.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40262.30 In reply to 40262.29 
I have to admit excel has some cleverness, unlike word and ppt.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–20  21–30

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats