Idle Chit ChatThe rise of Skynet

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40101.61 In reply to 40101.60 
quote:
 I couldn't imagine killing anyone

Yet you happily tote a gun around for self-defence? What're you gonna do if you get into a situation? Pistol whip 'em 'til they run away?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
40101.62 In reply to 40101.61 
Oh no, if I had to use it I would.  I just hope I never have to.  Maybe I would cry like a girl and hand the gun to my wife.  That sounds like a good plan actually!

stickman2.png How long must I put up with the unholy sound of your gun?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.63 In reply to 40101.62 
Good idea, let her take the rap for it.

I do karate and I'm ok at it, I could probably hurt someone quite a bit if I kicked them inna face, or to the side of the knee, and like you, if I had to use it, I would, but it seems so out of my nature to want to inflict harm like that to another person. I guess you can't tell how you'd react until you're ever in that situation, and I hope it never happens too.

</commas>
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.64 In reply to 40101.63 
I think you could probably make some of those Bruce Lee noises and scare people without even having to use any moves.  Do you have a belt color?  eh, um colour?

stickman2.png How long must I put up with the unholy sound of your gun?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.65 In reply to 40101.64 
Well done ken - proud of you, mate.

Add THE VETOES to your myspace friends!!! Pretty please :D

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.66 In reply to 40101.63 
I could kick someone inna face fairly hard, too, and I haven't had to do a single karate lesson.

Well, kicking them inna face would involve them lying down first, but I reckon I could definitely reach as high as almost everyone's knee.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
40101.67 In reply to 40101.66 
My instructor's 6'4 and I've kicked him in the face before. I'm a comparative short arse at 6'1.

TBH it's all worthless flashiness. In a real life fight, you'd kick low, take out a knee and leggit.

Ken - I'm a first dan, got my black belt nearly 2 years ago and currently cribbing up to take my second at some point next year.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.68 In reply to 40101.67 
During the fighting bit of my Police training, the first thing we were taught to do was the schoolyard trick of going for a dead leg. But I think that was only because we were supposed to treat easily-damaged areas like joints, groin and skull as last resort targets.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
40101.69 In reply to 40101.68 
Fair enough, but wouldn't say the skull was easy to damage (at least with bare fists, a police baton might be a different story), it's a huge piece of bone that's not very easy on the knuckle - obviously there's soft spots, but some people have very large foreheads:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.70 In reply to 40101.69 
Bare fists? We left that for the customers, if they wanted to break their knuckles. We used truncheons and batons. Much more sensible.

Cracker of a picture, by the way.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.71 In reply to 40101.69 
Hotlinking has been disabled at nerdnirvana.org, apparently.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)      
40101.72 In reply to 40101.71 
(fail) gah. It could've been worse - I've had bad experiences with horse genitalia in the past. (NJ).
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.73 In reply to 40101.72 
You and X3n both

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)      
40101.74 In reply to 40101.73 
I've had nothing but fun with horse genitals.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40101.75 In reply to 40101.74 
Is that a side effect of living in a village?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40101.76 In reply to 40101.75 
More of a reason.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40101.77 In reply to 40101.76 
Dirty.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
40101.78 In reply to 40101.2 
"The next few years" is probably optimistic (or pessimistic if you think they're going to kill us all). The computational and storage potential of the human brain is still something scientists don't fully understand, but it certainly doesn't seem to be something that can be accurately expressed in terms of petaflops and exabytes. In particular, the capacity for abstract thought in the absence of external stimulus is a mystery, and that's the sort of thing an artificial intelligence would need to do in order to be considered remotely "alive".

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
40101.79 In reply to 40101.78 
The implications for Mitt Romney are quite sobering.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
40101.80 In reply to 40101.78 
Funny, I just watched a documentary on Wilson the other day. Hearing them explain how hard it is for a computer to understand the little nuances of speech was interesting. They said at one point humans who were on Jeopardy usually answered the questions correctly 90–95% of the time. Wilson was getting 10–15% correct. I guess it's something I would have figured a computer would kill a person at. But obviously there is much more involved.

I would love to work on projects like that. I think working on something cutting edge or something really hard would be very rewarding. You wouldn't have any constraints as long as you could find a way to get the computer to cooperate.

And something that I think about a lot is binary. How a computer only speaks in on or off and is able to do what it does is flat out unbelievable.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80  81–85

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats