SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.81 In reply to 40020.80 
Why would a computer OS, ie something that has been going for 30 odd years and seeing massive development throughout that time, be comparable with things like that which are all varying degrees of pretty much final form through decades or centuries of development. Though with that said, a new refrigerator will have all kinds of fancy things to learn and just go try using a toilet in Tokyo without getting a bit puzzled by all the buttons!

But yeah, we haven't even worked out what the best way to input things is (mouse keys voice touch kinect etc etc), never mind the interface that pulls it all together. You sound like people who whinged when Win 95 meant the DOS prompt was no longer needed for most things.

If you are looking for a setting of admin thing just type it's name and there it is!

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.82 In reply to 40020.80 
The point is, Ken, that you have a problem with W8 because it affects the way you work. It doesn't affect /them/ and /they/ cannot empathise with your plight.

But I empathise, Ken, I really do. Now come with me and tell of your troubles...[bums ken]

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.83 In reply to 40020.80 
Also now I feel like PB, all getting involved in arguments I have little interest in. Hopefully Xen joins in soon and tells me off for being wrong.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
40020.84 In reply to 40020.81 
Also toilets have gone from chains to levers to push buttons to dual mode push buttons.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.85 In reply to 40020.83 
Haha I am waiting for Drew myself. But he will probably tell me I'm wrong. Please don't think I'm livid over this or anything. I just think they took a step backwards this time. Change just for changes sake. If you want an interface for touch fine. But don't force it on enterprise!

stickman2.png By reading my posts you agree to my terms of service.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.86 In reply to 40020.79 
Sounds good to me.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.87 In reply to 40020.85 
I'll be honest, from what I've seen of W8 it really does seem a bit of a weird mix of new age touchy stuff and crusty old desktoppy gubbins, particularly on RT. And, I haven't even used it myself, so hey it could really be as awful as you're making it sound, but I'm leaning more towards the idea that it's just the newness of it all that's the biggest issue.

And like milko said, you can't really compare something as complex as Windows with e.g. a hammer. Plus like patch said, pretty much every company in the world changes its products. Sometimes it might seem like they do it arbitrarily just because they want to be seen 'innovating' or whatever, but I'm more inclined to think that the people making these changes really do believe they're making their product better. Whether they're successful with that or not is a different matter and I'm sure if enough people complain about the Start Screen the MS will do something to make it better. Remember though that they have a lot more data than your average Internet chap on how people are actually using it, what problems they have &c.

I can't believe I typed all that on my phone. I bet it's not even all that much actually but ye gods it feels like it.
caerphoto_sig.png
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  af (CAER)     
40020.88 In reply to 40020.87 
Yeah I'm on my phone and I know exactly how you feel. So I will wait until I get done working on the house to properly respond.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.89 In reply to 40020.71 
If we bought you a ticket it'd only encourage you to quit your job and sponge off the state.

▪                    
             ┌────┐    ┌────┐                      
          │    │    │    │ ▪                    
          │    └────┘    │                      
          │   ──┐  ┌──   │ ▪                    
   ┌──────┤    ▪    ▪    │                      
  ┌┘      │              │ ▪                    
┌─┤       └──┐  │  │  ┌──┘                      
│ │          │ ││  ││ │   ┌─┐                   
│ │          └─┼┤  └┴─┴───┘ │                   
│ │           ─┘│           │                   
│ │   ┌──────┐  └┬──────────┘                   
  │   │      │   │                              
  │   │      │   │                              
  └───┘      └───┘                              
If Feds call you and say something bad on me, it may prove what I said are truth, they are afraid of it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
40020.90 In reply to 40020.89 
Haha you don't know me very well. But you could pay me to be your pool boy!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.91 In reply to 40020.83 
You're entirely wrong and also a wankhole.

I don't care about Win8. I used it a bit and thought it was ... Microsoft's attempt to turn the PC into an application platform in the same way that iOS is. I do like metro though. I don't like (which is something I read and may be wrong) that any non-win8 specific code (including the faux win7 style desktop) is virtualised? That's not going to be good for... every single game I own.

I suspect MS don't care about the desktop in terms of Win8. I (as I'm sure I've said before) think they're trying to unify tablets and their console (I reckon the next xbox will run win8) and they'll do a release actually targetted at desktops later.

But yes, I largely don't care. I suspect win8 will flop on the desktop but I don't think MS will care, they're looking elsewhere.

And I don't care because Steam is coming to Linux so hopefully I'll be able to stop using windows at all in a year or two.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40020.92 In reply to 40020.91 
The thing with Steam and Linux I don't get yet is that isn't the thing it's going to need stuff like DirectX? But I don't really know at all.

I dunno about virtualisation but games seem to be running as well in 8 as they did in 7 for me.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.93 In reply to 40020.91 
I suspect win8 will flop on the desktop but I don't think MS will care, they're looking elsewhere.
The enterprise has gotta be a pretty signficant market, which is pretty much owned by Microsoft. OTOH, it's conservative and slow to adopt. Shit, we were on XP until W7 had been thoroughly evaluated, so well behind the curve compared to the early adopters.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40020.94 In reply to 40020.93 
Sure, but the enterprise doesn't need to be cutting edge and doesn't have anywhere else to go (as you've kinda illustrated). I think enterprise is a cash cow rather than a growth thing and I doubt it's really worth competing over since it's all bulk licenses and stuff anyway.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.95 In reply to 40020.94 
Agreed. But I know that a lot of govt agencies moved to Linux a few years back. I wonder how that's working for them.

MegaCorpUSA is a shill to Microsoft, but I wonder if others might move. 'Twould be fair righteous.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.96 In reply to 40020.92 
No, Linux won't have DirectX, it'll (and does) use OpenGL like OSX, iOS, Android, Playstation (kinda) etc.. Anything that's been ported to Mac should be /relatively/ easy to port to Linux. A few companies might follow Valve's example and port their DirectX games to OpenGL but that's pretty unlikely I think (at least until Linux has a decent share of the games market).

So yeah, if the Steam Linux experiment is a success I imagine pretty much all indie games will get ported/made for Linux (most are already anyway). Some mid-tier, smaller-studio stuff will be, the AAA stuff that has a Mac port will likely get a Linux port as/when it's worth it and the hardcore DirectX AAA stuff probably never will. Although some prominent engines are getting OpenGL support anyway so... yeah.

There's been a bit of a push back to OpenGL since the Mac become a bit of a gaming platform and I'm sure if Linux gets any sort of traction as a gaming platform then that'll accelerate. The only platform that runs DirectX and /can't/ run OpenGL is xbox.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40020.97 In reply to 40020.93 
It hasn't totally surprised me but the Uni I work at has only just started rolling out Windows 7 systems in the computer clusters.

It has taken them until now to actually decide to support 7 at all. They have provided it for staff to install if they wanted to but there's plenty of warnings that came with it that made sure you knew it wasn't supported by IT Services.

It is odd though since I'm fairly sure that students are the first people that properly use a new version of Windows fully so the Uni should've rolled it out a lot earlier, they renew the library/cluster PCs enough that it should be easily possible (though I'm sure the people here who work in large scale IT would probably say otherwise). By students I mean freshers/1st years. Most of them will probably buy a laptop at the start of their first year and most new versions of Windows are sold via OEM/new hardware purchases.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.98 In reply to 40020.96 

ah interesting, I hadn't really paid attention like I say. I remember OpenGL!

Yeah, it's all down to getting the snowball rolling innit. I wonder if a Valve Steam Box would also be a big step on the way. How are nvidia and AMD doing with keeping their linux graphics drivers up to date? I suppose that's the other big one that has a bit of chicken or egg about it being a viable alternative.

milko

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.99 In reply to 40020.98 
Yeah, I'd be very surprised if Valve don't do a Steam OS (kinda like Android, but just Linux + Steam in a kinda 'guaranteed to work' setup) and let other people do hardware.

And yeah, very much a chicken and egg thing. The proprietary graphics drivers on Linux aren't great (but still better then the open source ones). Though Valve report that L4D2 runs faster on OpenGL than DirectX, and faster still on Linux. But yeah, demand from users will get AMD and Nvidia off their arses.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.100 In reply to 40020.99 
Nvidia do seem to update their drivers fairly often for Linux.

No idea what their development cycle is like in comparison to Windows though.

Obviously them updating the drivers doesn't mean they're good but they do exactly what I want them to - XBMC/HTPC so making VDPAU work perfectly.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  41–60  61–80  81–100  101–120  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats