SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  patch     
40020.61 In reply to 40020.60 

But that only takes you to a mess of a screen with no organization at all.  No grouping of programs just rows and rows of icons sorted in a haphazard jumble.

And if they put that down there what is the purpose of changing the way it works?

stickman2.png By reading my posts you agree to my terms of service.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.62 In reply to 40020.61 
No, it takes you to a very large Start menu. Except in this version it's up to you to organise it, so that it fits you best. They started doing it with the ability to pin applications to the old Start Menu.

You can tell it's just the same thing from the way that installing VLC gives you a load of icons that you'll never click on, same as it put a load of entries in the Windows 7 Start menu but you just didn't see them because you didn't go that far down the All Programs tree.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.63 In reply to 40020.62 

So I can create folders?

The way it chooses what is shown on the very big start menu is very random, and then you have to right click and say show all apps and find the one you want in that sea of icons.  I don't care, you won't change my mind and convince me this way is better, because it's not.

(and I'm only arguing on the desktop/laptop side of things) the new start menu and tiles is perfectly acceptable for tablets and phones.  But to force this fucking nightmare on everyone is unforgivable. 

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.64 In reply to 40020.63 

You can change what it chooses to show though, and how it's all grouped. So you can have it just like you might want it to be.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
40020.65 In reply to 40020.64 

And how am I supposed to know that?  They change shit but don't tell you anything about it!  I don't have time to search for a fix to something that should just work!

Dear God, I sound like Peter.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.66 In reply to 40020.63 
Did you create folders on the old Menu?

Like I said, you have to organise what shows up on the Screen and in what order yourself. The only reason you didn't have to on the old Menu was because you couldn't see them unless you went looking.

I don't know about "unforgivable". I've got no real problems with it, and I've only been using it since yesterday. Maybe you're just getting old and stuck in your ways. Time to get a rocking chair out on the porch, I reckon.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.67 In reply to 40020.66 

No, the old way was automatic.  Every program you installed created a folder group on the start menu.  Everyone who ever touched a computer knew to click start/windows button and all your programs would be there!  Now it's a crap shoot to figure out where they are!

And yes, I suspect I am getting too old because change like this used to excite me.  But now I don't have time to fix something that shouldn't be broke.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.68 In reply to 40020.67 
Shush, Gramps.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.69 In reply to 40020.65 

I dunno, I picked it up by reading a couple of really short articles about getting used to the new Windows 8 thing. Or it might have been the tutorial that starts up on first run. Or the email they send you once you're up and running. Something as effortless anyway. Stop being Peter! We need the real Peter back! Find him!

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.70 In reply to 40020.68 

haha.  Sorry.  But you'll see.  Once you use it for a few days and want to actually get work done.  At least 2012 has a drop down on the server manager that lets you get to everything you need.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.71 In reply to 40020.69 

I didn't receive any emails from them after installing it.

And I'm starting to worry about PB.  As long as I've been here he's never disappeared like this.  Someone should buy me a plane ticket so I can come look for him!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.72 In reply to 40020.71 

I'm pretty sure it's the lack of PB that's making you so grumpy today, not Windows 8.

Did you not set up a user account with an email address? I did so it could do all that roaming profile business. Maybe that's the thing.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/11/windows-8-basics-tips-tricks-and-cures/

http://lifehacker.com/5955755/how-to-fix-windows-8s-biggest-annoyances-and-make-it-more-like-windows-7
http://lifehacker.com/5955162/how-to-not-get-lost-in-windows-8-the-best-shortcuts-and-tricks
http://lifehacker.com/5955209/the-best-new-apps-in-the-windows-8-store

milko

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.73 In reply to 40020.72 

I didn't set one up, I used an existing account.  And maybe if I'd check it I would find an email in there telling me all the wonderful things Windows 8 has to offer.  But then I'd read it and call them liars and just be more angry.  So I better not.

And yeah, Peter better hurry the fuck up and return or I think I'll have a heart attack!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
40020.74 In reply to 40020.73 

Where the fuck are you?  I can't continue to be this angry!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.75 In reply to 40020.74 
* about things that aren't all that important.
caerphoto_sig.png
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  af (CAER)     
40020.76 In reply to 40020.75 
They are important because its one if the tools I use to make a living. Its like someone changing the way a hammer works just so they can sell more. No other real reason.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.77 In reply to 40020.76 
Oohh, a touch screen hammer. I'll buy one of them.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.78 In reply to 40020.76 
I think you just described how every single company in the world works.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
40020.79 In reply to 40020.77 
A touchscreen hammer when all you need is a regular hammer. Oh and the nails have changed as well.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.80 In reply to 40020.78 
So when you go buy a hammer, saw, screwdriver, can opener, refrigerator, stove, bathtub, toilet and about a million other things you need to look up online how to use them? When is the last time the function and location of the flush thing on your commode has changed?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  61–80  81–100  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats