SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Does anyone know how to take a screenshot using the onscreen keyboard? It doesn't have a Windows key or a print screen key.

I did learn if you press the Windows key and print screen it saves them. You don't need to use paint anymore, so that's nice. But I don't see a way to do any print screens without using the real keyboard. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.353 In reply to 40020.352 
what OS? - cos my onscreen kb has both those keys

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
40020.354 In reply to 40020.353 
Windows 8, wonder if there is a setting to add more keys to the onscreen kb?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
40020.355 In reply to 40020.351 
Well, that wasn't too painful. It seems that the iso MS provides is generic. It worked fine installing on top of an existing Windows 8 with the option to keep 'nothing'.

In fact, it does keep something: it keeps all your user data, desktop etc. in a folder called Windows.old. This is quite good news for me as fate had yet another crack at making my Windows 8 experience as miserable as possible by deciding that the USB drive I used for my Easy Transfer File would fail after the file had been created when I tried a restore. So in this case, well done MS.

And, yes - updates now work, and no - updates don't screw up the keyboard.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.356 In reply to 40020.352 
I didn't notice this was the Win8 thread

I went looking and found ~

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

and

http://download.cnet.com/Snippy/3000-13455_4-11014443.html

that might help

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
40020.357 In reply to 40020.356 
Thanks.  There is the snipping tool built in, but when using the onscreen keyboard when in tablet mode there isn't a prnt screen button.  So I guess if I want to do screen shots I have to flip over to laptop mode. /first world problems/
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.358 In reply to 40020.357 
Bit of digging for you Ken (actually a lot of digging) and I'm sure you won't be happy with the answer as there should be just a way to do like with a print screen button which I 100% agree with.

quote:

A substitute for the missing Print Screen key
Another key that gets a lot of work on my keyboards is Print Screen, but the abbreviated Touch Cover keyboard that attaches to the Surface lacks that key. You can duplicate the Function keys -- such as F1 for help and F3 for search -- by pressing the Fn key plus the buttons along the top row starting with the four media keys and stretching to the PgUp and PgDn keys (not Esc on the far left or Del on the far right).

The workaround for the dropped Print Screen key is to press the volume-down key on the left side of the Surface while simultaneously pressing the device's home button, which sports the streamlined Windows icon. It required a few attempts to get the timing right to capture a screen rather than return to the Start screen and lower the volume. The screen dims for a split second to indicate that the image was captured.

By default, the image is stored as a PNG file in your Pictures folder and named "Screenshot (1)." Your second capture is named "Screenshot (2)" and creates a Screenshots folder inside Pictures for your captured images.

Obviously this is for the Surface but I'm hoping you can get a similar result. So Start+Volume down then. Sounds like some kind of voodoo to me :)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  arq (ARQUETURUS)     
40020.359 In reply to 40020.358 
Well I appreciate the digging but my virtual keyboard doesn't have a volume down button.  I guess I will just have to mess with key combinations. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.360 In reply to 40020.359 
It was referring to the physical button on surface I think.

Do me a favour and sling me a screen shot of the Virtual keyboard?

Oh, the irony!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.361 In reply to 40020.360 
This is the full keyboard, there is also a stripped down version but it has even less options.

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.362 In reply to 40020.361 
Bah, well FN+Insert is also apparently a shortcut for print screen but there's not an Insert key either so that's a bit of a stumper :/

What does the keyboard button do at the bottom right corner?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.363 In reply to 40020.362 
That's how you select different keyboard layouts. I can also do handwriting down there in the depths of the keyboard selection area.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.364 In reply to 40020.360 
Well I've found a full blown keyboard hidden in there, but I have no way of knowing how to make it the default.  You have to go to the metro interface and search for keyboard, then this bugger pops up.  As you can see, it does indeed have a prt scrn button on it!  So I can go through 50 steps, or I can just pin the snipping tool to my taskbar like I have and be done with it.

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.365 In reply to 40020.364 
I actually knew that one - you can reach by going to Start then typing OSK but there doesn't seem to be a way to make it default to that.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Stumbled across this guide to Windows 8, there's some neat stuff in there like grouping and naming the start menu, showing admin tools in there and stuffs. Well worth a read.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.367 In reply to 40020.366 
I figured out those yesterday. Have nice neat groups now (or as close as they can get I guess).  They need to make it easier to do certain things with touch.  Like closing an open app.  You are supposed to be able to swipe left to right on the left side to open the apps drawer (that works) and then drag an open app down to the bottom of the screen to close it.  That works about 30% of the time, the other 70% results in the app full screen.  I either need more practice or they need to make it work better.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.368 In reply to 40020.355 
So, anyway. A couple of days down the line. Anybody tempted to experiment with, or simply move to Windows 8, follow Matt's sage advice and do a clean install. Upgrading over an existing Windows, even 7 with all the patches, leads to a fistful of problems.

Don't know whether the in-the-shops DVD full or upgrade allows the same flexibility, but mine stuffed all my old data into a folder on the new installation where I can easily get at it. Otherwise there's always Easy Transfer Manager. But don't use a shagged out USB drive for that like I did.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.369 In reply to 40020.368 
After all the bitching in this thread there better be! I am using it full time on my xps and at work. The Dell makes it useful, it's still a pain on a machine without touch unless you ignore Metro all together.

On a side note, they don't call it Metro anymore but I'm too lazy to look for what they are calling it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.370 In reply to 40020.367 
Well would you look at that! I installed an app that gives you hints and shortcuts and this gem was there!

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.371 In reply to 40020.370 
That was supposed to be to you, but apparently beehive is too hard for me to use!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  301–320  321–340  341–360  361–380  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats