SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
40020.341 In reply to 40020.332 
Actually, this Windows 8 update issue is becoming an absolute pig. I haven't been hit by a software problem as irritating and intractable in years. I'm finding it infuriating with none of the fixes working. I'm almost inclined to turn off all updates and see if a service pack comes out in a few months.

Microsoft very quiet on the subject - or if they are commenting it's very low key.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.342 In reply to 40020.341 
Have you tried removing any 3rd party drivers and anti-virus software (especially if the anti-virus software isn't designed for Windows 8) while you install the update?

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
40020.343 In reply to 40020.342 
Yes and I only have the antivirus that comes with Windows 8.

Incidentally, when you say update, part of the problem is that there are a great many updates and Windows 8 does seem to be very flaky in the way that its update processes function. For instance, at various times it has reported that I have never updated Windows and have no history, that I have 5 important updates downloaded and waiting to install, that I have 13 important updates waiting, that 5 and sometimes 8 are installed successfully. I have disabled all updates in order to try installing a few key ones manually (or what the internet tells me are key ones) only to find that on restart Windows has taken the decision to queue a mass of other updates I never selected - which then fail to configure and prompt the same depressing unstoppable 35 minute roll back.

It's annoyingly familiar that the only proactive support is coming from the user community - as far as I know there's not even a web-page from MS.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.344 In reply to 40020.343 
I've also discovered some things I like less about 8 during the attempted troubleshooting. For instance, while I was trying to uninstall the Realtek drivers, the uninstall hung (of course). So I fired up task manager to see if I could kill it, only to discover that task manager no longer lists tasks. The most basic view is processes - which is fine if you know what processes are being used. Oddly perverse decision. I really can't see anybody with limited PC knowledge standing a chance.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.345 In reply to 40020.343 
Is this in the usual (Windows 7-esq) Windows Update in Control Panel? No issues there for me. I have lots of updates installed, 1 pending which is Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 and 1 optional which is the stupid Bing Desktop Search.

As for the new Task manager, I prefer it. The "Fewer Details" view is light on information, but it's now completely trivial to use compared to the old Task Manager. But, you're obviously above the pay grade of needing basic functionality, so should you need it, the "More Details" section still gives you CPU, Memory, Disk and Network usage, Tasks and Services just like the old Task Manager did. That really hasn't changed since Windows NT 4.0.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.346 In reply to 40020.344 
Now that you mention it I'm not sure on this.

I thought that 'Fewer Details' basically listed what was 'Tasks' back in the older version and 'More details' lists Apps (Tasks) with the resource usage and Background processes (Processes) with the resource usage like some kind of amalgamated version.

In truth I've not had to use it in anger as yet so i'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it

This is the link to the reasons and thinking to the redesign if you can be arsed to read it and it's always been one of the more widely lauded changes in Windows 8.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.347 In reply to 40020.345 
Yes - usual update.

The update history shows 12 installed updates and 13 failed. I'm in two minds whether to leave things as they are and forget about updates - or do a backup, wipe the drive and do a fresh install.

As for task manager, I had another look and I've realised that I didn't see either the apps or background processes headers before. Whether that was just me being dumb or task manager itself was playing up along with the hung uninstall I don't know - probably me. I'll give it a bit longer, but to my eyes it just looks a bit prettier. On the rare occasions I'm actually allowed to do real work at work it isn't often in Windows, and when it is, it's usually well after the disaster has happened when I'm more interested in whatever logs are available than task manager.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  arq (ARQUETURUS)     
40020.348 In reply to 40020.346 
I think you're more or less right - as in what I said to Matt.

I haven't really given it much of a chance and I can see there are some improvements. It's fairly reassuring that they haven't gone totally overboard with bells and whistles. Not convinced by the move of the start-up tab from MSConfig to Task Manager though. I expect there's a very clever reason.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
So after using 8 for a couple of days on my new touch screen thingy I still say it's not ready. They should have released two versions, one for touch devices and one for desktops/laptops without touch.  As it is right now they have a fucked up mess.  You still have to go to the control panel for things like configuring printers, when you try it using the devices menu you end up dead ended.

I've been confused a couple of times as to what "mode" to do things in, often just reverting back to the desktop because it's easier.  I think with a big service pack it could be fixed, but I'm not sure they are going to do it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.350 In reply to 40020.347 
As time consuming as it is, I would personally do the later as the idea of not having any updates strikes me as a stupid one to make. I see Windows updates as important as anti-virus updates and I wouldn't switch those off either.

If you want to speed up the reinstall of Windows 8, assuming you have a physical copy on DVD, follow this guide and copy the contents of it to a USB thumbstick: http://hexus.net/tech/tech-explained/software/31765-how-install-windows-8-usb-drive/

The installation will absolutely fly compared to copying from DVD. It's very likely you'll have the Windows install done in 10~15 minutes.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.351 In reply to 40020.350 
I completely agree that keeping up to date is far preferable to not keeping up to date. My choice, however, was not simply between those two, it was between attempting to keep up to date and having a functional laptop, bearing in mind that windows update at present repeatedly disables the laptop for up to 40 minutes, which will increase as failed installs pile up.

After the written assurances from Microsoft (well, in a press release and on a website) that this time an upgrade install would be a safe option, I am irritated to find myself here - having followed all the advice in the upgrade advisor and having a reasonably new and adequately specified laptop.

It now strikes me that my plan to do a clean install may have been hit by another gotcha from MS. During the upgrade advisor/purchase/download process, the would-be upgrader is asked whether they intend to keep settings, apps and settings, or nothing. This happens before the download is available and presumably influences the composition of the files delivered. I've just downloaded an iso from the link I was given and I'll give it a whirl to see if it gives me the option to wipe the drive.

...which it does. I wonder whether the new install will suffer from the windows-update-disables-laptop-keyboard bug, which I have also discovered, along with several others.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Does anyone know how to take a screenshot using the onscreen keyboard? It doesn't have a Windows key or a print screen key.

I did learn if you press the Windows key and print screen it saves them. You don't need to use paint anymore, so that's nice. But I don't see a way to do any print screens without using the real keyboard. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.353 In reply to 40020.352 
what OS? - cos my onscreen kb has both those keys

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
40020.354 In reply to 40020.353 
Windows 8, wonder if there is a setting to add more keys to the onscreen kb?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.355 In reply to 40020.351 
Well, that wasn't too painful. It seems that the iso MS provides is generic. It worked fine installing on top of an existing Windows 8 with the option to keep 'nothing'.

In fact, it does keep something: it keeps all your user data, desktop etc. in a folder called Windows.old. This is quite good news for me as fate had yet another crack at making my Windows 8 experience as miserable as possible by deciding that the USB drive I used for my Easy Transfer File would fail after the file had been created when I tried a restore. So in this case, well done MS.

And, yes - updates now work, and no - updates don't screw up the keyboard.
good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.356 In reply to 40020.352 
I didn't notice this was the Win8 thread

I went looking and found ~

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

and

http://download.cnet.com/Snippy/3000-13455_4-11014443.html

that might help

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
40020.357 In reply to 40020.356 
Thanks.  There is the snipping tool built in, but when using the onscreen keyboard when in tablet mode there isn't a prnt screen button.  So I guess if I want to do screen shots I have to flip over to laptop mode. /first world problems/
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.358 In reply to 40020.357 
Bit of digging for you Ken (actually a lot of digging) and I'm sure you won't be happy with the answer as there should be just a way to do like with a print screen button which I 100% agree with.

quote:

A substitute for the missing Print Screen key
Another key that gets a lot of work on my keyboards is Print Screen, but the abbreviated Touch Cover keyboard that attaches to the Surface lacks that key. You can duplicate the Function keys -- such as F1 for help and F3 for search -- by pressing the Fn key plus the buttons along the top row starting with the four media keys and stretching to the PgUp and PgDn keys (not Esc on the far left or Del on the far right).

The workaround for the dropped Print Screen key is to press the volume-down key on the left side of the Surface while simultaneously pressing the device's home button, which sports the streamlined Windows icon. It required a few attempts to get the timing right to capture a screen rather than return to the Start screen and lower the volume. The screen dims for a split second to indicate that the image was captured.

By default, the image is stored as a PNG file in your Pictures folder and named "Screenshot (1)." Your second capture is named "Screenshot (2)" and creates a Screenshots folder inside Pictures for your captured images.

Obviously this is for the Surface but I'm hoping you can get a similar result. So Start+Volume down then. Sounds like some kind of voodoo to me :)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  arq (ARQUETURUS)     
40020.359 In reply to 40020.358 
Well I appreciate the digging but my virtual keyboard doesn't have a volume down button.  I guess I will just have to mess with key combinations. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.360 In reply to 40020.359 
It was referring to the physical button on surface I think.

Do me a favour and sling me a screen shot of the Virtual keyboard?

Oh, the irony!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  301–320  321–340  341–360  361–380  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats