SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  arq (ARQUETURUS)     
40020.301 In reply to 40020.298 
the mass market never used the old start menu, they used desktop short cuts. We are in the minority, this is why Apple devices sell by the metric fucktonne, they just work and with no nonsense.

Yet Mac OS X has the Dock, which is not dissimilar to the Start Menu or Quickstart Bar (or whatever it's called). And now allows folders to be added, much like the Start Menu.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40020.302 In reply to 40020.301 
I should have been clearer, I meant iOS which is what the majority of Apple users are going to be familiar with.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.303 In reply to 40020.302 
Then it's hardly a fair comparison with Control Panel ect because mobile devices are totally different beasts (until PCs get totally dumbed down, that is).

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.304 In reply to 40020.303 
I appreciate that the comment might come across as schizophrenic (fail)  sorry about that. I'm comparing how the average user sees and uses the system.

I'd *really* love to see some use stats on things like the control panel.

I really think that a comparison of iOS and Windows 8 is valid as that's the biggest influence in it's design.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.305 In reply to 40020.304 
Whereas I don't really. I know MS are going after the iOS crowd, but the difference is that iOS is 100% designed for phones and tablets. Apple don't use it on their desktop PCs and have (sensibly) stuck with Mac OS for those. Sure some design elements of iOS have found their way onto the Mac, but that's it.

Microsoft however are going down a totally different route by trying to design one OS that works on tablets, PCs, servers and (almost) phones. That (IMO) is a mistake. They're trying to use their popularity on the PC to force themselves into other markets by deliberately making an interface which is tablet-oriented and ill-suited to proper PCs and by trying to force it onto people to make them get used to it.

Microsoft's goal of course is that everyone will be forced to use TIFKAM on PCs, then they'll get used to it, then they'll accept it on tablets and phones for which it was actually designed for. Then MS will have a big boot in the door of the iOS and Android devices. They're willing to sacrifice popularity on PCs for this - they KNOW that Windows 8 will flop in businesses for example, but are happy to accept that if it means a slice of the tablet pie.

On the down-side, the public could end up largely sticking to iOS and Android devices, shunning Windows tablets/phones, and Microsoft will have also alienated a lot of their traditional PC customers at the same time by deliberately delivering a poorly-suited interface for them just to try and crack open other markets.

Time will tell!
---

DR_claim_1_100px.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
40020.306 In reply to 40020.305 
I think you're broadly right except I don't think they care about the home PC and you're overlooking the next xbox (which will run Win8 and have access to a whole marketplace of apps, games and films etc.). If people can access all the content they have on their xbox from their tablet and phone then that'll be a huge incentive to switch for some people.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.307 In reply to 40020.305 
Where have you been? Why haven't you been sticking up for me while these vultures have been ripping me apart and laughing at me? You're /about/ the only one who gets what I'm saying!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.308 In reply to 40020.307 
I get what you're saying. I just think you'd be better off with a Mac.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.309 In reply to 40020.308 
haha, no.  I would consider Linux though.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I'm going to stick with my original line, you're all grossly overestimating the intelligence of the average users out there.

I like some things about Windows 8, I dislike some other things. As I don't directly use the start menu that much (although I think I now use it more than I used it oddly enough) it doesn't really interfere with my PC environment too much. I almost certainly wouldn't have taken the jump to it if I hadn't been build a new PC and been able to get it for 15 quids.

However I think it's a excellent touchscreen interface and, as touchscreen laptops become the norm like the Asus Vivobook thingy I was playing with last night (nice but still ever so slightly expensive),  Windows 8 will start to seep into the general consciousness of the average buyers/users who will never delve beyond Metro.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.311 In reply to 40020.307 
Sorry, I was lurking :-(

I've used Windows 8 and to me, TIFKAM is just too much of a deal breaker. No matter what the positives are, the fact that they're forcing a poorly conceived interface onto me leaves a bad taste. And Windows 7 will do me fine until Windows 9 comes along and TIFKAM matures into something more usable.
---

DR_claim_1_100px.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.312 In reply to 40020.310 
Whereas I think that you're underestimating them. Vista for example flopped because it had a few faults and foibles (some of which were fixed, some of which weren't) and it's surprising how many none-technical people became aware of this. I think you're underestimating how many people Microsoft could potentially alienate with TIFKAM and its flawed implementation. People who have grown up over the last 17 years with a Start Menu and who have grown used to how Windows works - only to have that completely destroyed. And a lot of the gestures and other such features of Windows 8 are far less intuitive. They're also VERY difficult to figure out on traditional keyboard/mouse displays.

Also, I still cannot get over the fact that touch-screen laptops/PCs are just a gimmick. I've used them before and having to keep reaching out and pointing at something on a vertical screen quickly becomes far more annoying than just using a traditional mouse on your desk. Sure on a handheld tablet, it's a good interface. But on traditional laptops, I remain incredibly sceptical.

And as for delving beyond Metro - 90% of apps still open to the desktop, various Control Panel widgets do as well. Plus the inability to snap multiple Metro apps onto the screen at once is a real drawback on larger screened laptops and desktops. The average user will still use the desktop a lot and the regular switching back and forth will quickly annoy and alienate them. TIFKAM has some potential, but it's too immature and its implementation is too flawed at the moment to drive widespread adoption.
---

DR_claim_1_100px.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.313 In reply to 40020.312 
I certainly hope so as there's massive room for improvement.

However I've now got 12 years experience supporting average business users of software, the last 6 are in relation to Accounts and Payroll software and once they're outside the comfort zone of the applications they use on daily basis, some of which can be incredibly complex, they're fucked. Which can be scary at times as these are intelligent people in most cases, some of which run their own businesses successfully. I see Metro as a protected comfort zone that these users will love and adapt to quickly. Vista by comparison was a buggy, rubbish and complicated.

Fisher Price Windows! That's what I'm thinking of :D

Touchscreens work well on laptops but not so much on desktops and now that Win 8 is Touch biased, there may be a shift that makes the majority of laptops touch capable for a hike in the baseline which I'm not sure how expensive it will be but is sure to come down over time.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

I'm going to raise this thread from the nearly deceased to post up a conversation I had with a friend (a developer who's opinion I respect) about Windows 8.

quote:
11:14 - arqueturus: btw what's your feeling on Windows 8?
11:14 - P: I wouldn't listen to me
11:14 - P: I think everyone's talking bollocks
11:14 - arqueturus: haha
11:14 - P: my experience on Win8 is twofold
11:15 - arqueturus: I'm asking you because I expect a balanced opinion rather than the knee jerk reactions that are rampant
11:15 - arqueturus: so, pony up
11:15 - P: a) for an avergae non-power user it's amazing.  Everything is on screen when you sign in, you get your email/calendar/updates right on the metro desktop.  It's a slightl tie-in to Microsoft services, but there's nothing stopping google & co from changing that, and the average joe just doesn't care.  It's an OS I could give to my grandad and he'd get it
11:16 - P: if you already use/are familiar with Windows Phone 7+, the metro bit is just like that but on your PC
11:16 - arqueturus: I have windows 8 btw
11:16 - arqueturus: I also think everyone is talking bollocks
11:16 - P: for power users: the desktop is still there and works exactly like it used to, so there's nothing you're losing.  It's a lot faster and more resource efficient than Win7 and you can do anything you used to do in it
11:17 - P: the ONE change you get is that your start menu isn't a menu, it's a screen
11:17 - P: but if you're a power Win7 user then you use the keyboard, and you pres Start and type the name of a program
11:17 - P: and that still works in Win8
11:17 - P: the Win8 store is locked down and that is a Good Thing for the same reason that it's a Good Thing that Apple vet apps for the iPad: it stops my grandad installing shit
11:17 - P: but I can still put anything I like on my desktop
11:18 - P: and yes, it's possibly a little over-restrictive right now, but I'd rather they started like that and loosened up than let all the crap in straight away
11:18 - P: Personally from what I've seen (I used the CTPs and the RTM demo) I think it's great
11:18 - P: Intend to upgrade ASAP
11:18 - arqueturus: i have it
11:19 - P: how're you finding it?
11:19 - arqueturus: fine
11:19 - arqueturus: but then, I barely use the start menu
11:19 - arqueturus: in general
11:19 - P: even if you do, it's not that different IMO
11:19 - arqueturus: nah
11:19 - P: just people getting their knickers in a twist
11:19 - P: and personally I think MS have done a great job of making something that works on all form factors
11:20 - P: I've been fine on it w/Mouse & keys
11:20 - P: and on a touchscreen it's ace
11:20 - P: so i just don't get the complaints
11:20 - arqueturus: there are some things they should have altered, for instance hotspots are a bit feckless on none touch screen
11:20 - arqueturus: i upgraded my pc a month or so back
11:20 - P: you've got the instant-response of a mobile OS (the resume-from-standby time is amazing!) and the power of everything else
11:20 - P: by the end of 2013, they'll have the same OS on mobiles as you have on your PC
11:20 - P: that can't be a bad thing

I like that the points he makes against power-users against none (he does accuse me of being a power-user later on too) which mirror my own feelings.

By the way my job is in a UAT lab which is where I first came across Windows 8, part of my job is to look at things from the perspective of an average user which might be why my opinion differs from most on here, you're all power users :D

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.315 In reply to 40020.314 
quote:
you're all power users

While that's probably true, I think you're missing the point if you think that's the sole or (in my case) primary reason for criticism.

I don't mind Metro as a UI. I think it's poorly implemented and wish they'd had the balls to do it properly rather than kinda backporting the old UI in as well in a fucking VM or whatever it is. That's messy.  but it's perfectly usable. I like both Gnome Shell and Unity which come in for the exact same criticisms from 'power users' as Metro does.

My problems with Win8 are absolutely nothing to do with the UI and entirely to do with what it is an attempt to do to the platform and what it signals for the future. From the anti-competitive version of UEFI secure boot they forced on manufacturers to the idea of signed apps (and the signed filesystem they've been not-quite putting in their new OSes for years), MS clearly want to make the PC a more closed system and to my mind that is bad for the platform and bad for the world in general.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40020.316 In reply to 40020.315 
Old UI in a VM!? Where'd you hear/read that?

(Sounds like bollocks to me)

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
40020.317 In reply to 40020.316 
(Yeah that was something I read way before it came out. But still, the salient bit is that the old UI is there as an entirely discrete and separate option)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
40020.318 In reply to 40020.317 
(Yeah that was something I read way before it came out. But still, the salient bit is that the old UI is there as an entirely discrete and separate option)

I see where you're coming from there but it doesn't feel like that in practice. The start menu runs fullscreen, that's about the biggest difference.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.319 In reply to 40020.318 
No. My point is that they made a new UI (<-- good!) and then included the old UI anyway (<-- bad). It doesn't matter how it's implemented. It's a crutch. Giving themselves that option meant that they didn't have to make sure Metro was absolutely fucking watertight.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Metro is tragic!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  261–280  281–300  301–320  321–340  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats