SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.290 In reply to 40020.289 
Try the windows key and x if you'd rather.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  arq (ARQUETURUS)     
40020.291 In reply to 40020.290 
Well that's helpful! I need to print a list of those out. 

Come to think about it, I think I've seen something similar in the past. Just wish I could remember when and where, and what it was called. I think it's something like smart menu or stat menu oh oh it's start menu! That's it!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.292 In reply to 40020.291 
Speak for yourself, my start menu was never that simple :)

What they should have done was offer a way to reverse those too commands - Win+X to bring up the new Start menu and Start to bring up that whatever you call it menu.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.293 In reply to 40020.289 
Those are my favourite bits.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.294 In reply to 40020.291 
Also, can I interest you in this?

:{)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.295 In reply to 40020.294 
No, I've refused to read that book for years now.  And insinuating that it's because I am resistant to change isn't fair at all.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.296 In reply to 40020.295 
'Twas a joke. Although it appears I'm not the first person to suggest it :-O
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.297 In reply to 40020.296 
No you're not :-)​ , even after I repeatedly say that change has nothing to do it. I enjoy change (I'm in the IT field) so I better. But there should be a reason for the change, other than just trying to generate more income from people who have a great OS in W7. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.298 In reply to 40020.297 
In all seriousness, it's not aimed at you (or me really). Microsoft don't care about how you want to use a PC, they interested in all those users that are intimidated by PC's - the ones that don't know how to copy and paste files, the ones that don't understand what a desktop is. They want that sweet juicy consumptive market.

If you consider that, Windows 8 makes perfect sense but it even goes beyond that, my wife who uses a PC at work, Word, Outlook etc. who can copy/paste files has never accessed the Control Panel, wouldn't have the faintest what the various management areas are for, never mind how to get to them was super impressed with the Win 8 installation routine, you know the one with the pretty colours and stuff? That's the mass market, the mass market never used the old start menu, they used desktop short cuts. We are in the minority, this is why Apple devices sell by the metric fucktonne, they just work and with no nonsense.

What they should have done and might still do is make a switch able thing so that we get the good things about Windows 8 but with the stuff we like from 7. It may still happen... but it probably won't.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.299 In reply to 40020.298 
Yup, I'd agree with that, except... they did the same dumb ass things to Server 2012!

And, 8 is half baked. You should never see the old Windows desktop if your aim is the average (afraid of computers) users. All that's going to do is confuse them!  And I can't wait until Surface starts shipping with 8 Pro on it. The bitching and moaning we are going to hear because some average (afraid of computers) user purchased an RT version and can't get anything to run is going to be the stuff of legend! 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.300 In reply to 40020.299 
Yup, I'd agree with that, except... they did the same dumb ass things to Server 2012!

And, 8 is half baked. You should never see the old Windows desktop if your aim is the average (afraid of computers) users. All that's going to do is confuse them!  And I can't wait until Surface starts shipping with 8 Pro on it. The bitching and moaning we are going to hear because some average (afraid of computers) user purchased an RT version and can't get anything to run is going to be the stuff of legend! 

I'll bet the average (afraid of computers) users will barely drop out of Metro and that's why I doubt there'll be an issue with RT, people just aren't going to use it that way.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.301 In reply to 40020.298 
the mass market never used the old start menu, they used desktop short cuts. We are in the minority, this is why Apple devices sell by the metric fucktonne, they just work and with no nonsense.

Yet Mac OS X has the Dock, which is not dissimilar to the Start Menu or Quickstart Bar (or whatever it's called). And now allows folders to be added, much like the Start Menu.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40020.302 In reply to 40020.301 
I should have been clearer, I meant iOS which is what the majority of Apple users are going to be familiar with.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.303 In reply to 40020.302 
Then it's hardly a fair comparison with Control Panel ect because mobile devices are totally different beasts (until PCs get totally dumbed down, that is).

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.304 In reply to 40020.303 
I appreciate that the comment might come across as schizophrenic (fail)  sorry about that. I'm comparing how the average user sees and uses the system.

I'd *really* love to see some use stats on things like the control panel.

I really think that a comparison of iOS and Windows 8 is valid as that's the biggest influence in it's design.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.305 In reply to 40020.304 
Whereas I don't really. I know MS are going after the iOS crowd, but the difference is that iOS is 100% designed for phones and tablets. Apple don't use it on their desktop PCs and have (sensibly) stuck with Mac OS for those. Sure some design elements of iOS have found their way onto the Mac, but that's it.

Microsoft however are going down a totally different route by trying to design one OS that works on tablets, PCs, servers and (almost) phones. That (IMO) is a mistake. They're trying to use their popularity on the PC to force themselves into other markets by deliberately making an interface which is tablet-oriented and ill-suited to proper PCs and by trying to force it onto people to make them get used to it.

Microsoft's goal of course is that everyone will be forced to use TIFKAM on PCs, then they'll get used to it, then they'll accept it on tablets and phones for which it was actually designed for. Then MS will have a big boot in the door of the iOS and Android devices. They're willing to sacrifice popularity on PCs for this - they KNOW that Windows 8 will flop in businesses for example, but are happy to accept that if it means a slice of the tablet pie.

On the down-side, the public could end up largely sticking to iOS and Android devices, shunning Windows tablets/phones, and Microsoft will have also alienated a lot of their traditional PC customers at the same time by deliberately delivering a poorly-suited interface for them just to try and crack open other markets.

Time will tell!
---

DR_claim_1_100px.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
40020.306 In reply to 40020.305 
I think you're broadly right except I don't think they care about the home PC and you're overlooking the next xbox (which will run Win8 and have access to a whole marketplace of apps, games and films etc.). If people can access all the content they have on their xbox from their tablet and phone then that'll be a huge incentive to switch for some people.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
40020.307 In reply to 40020.305 
Where have you been? Why haven't you been sticking up for me while these vultures have been ripping me apart and laughing at me? You're /about/ the only one who gets what I'm saying!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.308 In reply to 40020.307 
I get what you're saying. I just think you'd be better off with a Mac.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.309 In reply to 40020.308 
haha, no.  I would consider Linux though.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  241–260  261–280  281–300  301–320  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats