SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.281 In reply to 40020.279 
That's when they'll let you know about the delivery you will be expecting in April.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  All     
40020.282 In reply to 40020.281 
So, banged it onto my laptop after a surfeit of cheap gin, this is in spite of hating the betas and preview version.

Oooh and aahhh - pretty colours (colors) during installation then out of the blue (orange, yellow...) it says, we want to trust you william

quote:
IS THIS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS?
and I say yes - it is. And it says
quote:

AND IS THIS AN ALTERNATIVE  grib287@tugmonkey.com ?
and I say no - I haven't used that since I was 4 - try this one. And it says
quote:

THAT IS GOOD

so I install all of it. And later it says
quote:

ABOUT TRUSTING YOU AND YOUR PATHETIC LAPTOP; I HAVE SENT INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT WHAT TO DO TO grib287@tugmonkey.com. COMPLY!!! OR I WILL WIPE EVERYTHING YOU OWN...
On a serious note - as the upgrade version is PRO, I was curious to see whether the ridiculous windows 7 crippleware thing where you can't back up to a network drive has gone. Well, yes but of course, MS only really understand one type of network configuration, so 90% of home users on a network who don't have a traditional domain can still go fuck themselves.

good%20advice.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Well, in anticipation of my XPS arriving, I've installed 8 on my work computer again. With hard work and determination I think I will survive.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.284 In reply to 40020.283 
Already? I'd wait til March to start experimenting before your delivery.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
40020.285 In reply to 40020.284 
Man, took you long enough! :> 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.286 In reply to 40020.285 
Over two hours! I've been busy (NJ)

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
40020.287 In reply to 40020.286 
There are parts of 8 that are ok, but there are parts that are absolutely shit.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.288 In reply to 40020.287 
Which parts are the shit ones?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  arq (ARQUETURUS)     
40020.289 In reply to 40020.288 
Pretty much all the ones that involve me pressing the Windows key to get to the Metro interface so that I can get to the control panel, or administrative tools, or computer manager, or device manager, or anything useful.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.290 In reply to 40020.289 
Try the windows key and x if you'd rather.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.291 In reply to 40020.290 
Well that's helpful! I need to print a list of those out. 

Come to think about it, I think I've seen something similar in the past. Just wish I could remember when and where, and what it was called. I think it's something like smart menu or stat menu oh oh it's start menu! That's it!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.292 In reply to 40020.291 
Speak for yourself, my start menu was never that simple :)

What they should have done was offer a way to reverse those too commands - Win+X to bring up the new Start menu and Start to bring up that whatever you call it menu.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.293 In reply to 40020.289 
Those are my favourite bits.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.294 In reply to 40020.291 
Also, can I interest you in this?

:{)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.295 In reply to 40020.294 
No, I've refused to read that book for years now.  And insinuating that it's because I am resistant to change isn't fair at all.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.296 In reply to 40020.295 
'Twas a joke. Although it appears I'm not the first person to suggest it :-O
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.297 In reply to 40020.296 
No you're not :-)​ , even after I repeatedly say that change has nothing to do it. I enjoy change (I'm in the IT field) so I better. But there should be a reason for the change, other than just trying to generate more income from people who have a great OS in W7. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.298 In reply to 40020.297 
In all seriousness, it's not aimed at you (or me really). Microsoft don't care about how you want to use a PC, they interested in all those users that are intimidated by PC's - the ones that don't know how to copy and paste files, the ones that don't understand what a desktop is. They want that sweet juicy consumptive market.

If you consider that, Windows 8 makes perfect sense but it even goes beyond that, my wife who uses a PC at work, Word, Outlook etc. who can copy/paste files has never accessed the Control Panel, wouldn't have the faintest what the various management areas are for, never mind how to get to them was super impressed with the Win 8 installation routine, you know the one with the pretty colours and stuff? That's the mass market, the mass market never used the old start menu, they used desktop short cuts. We are in the minority, this is why Apple devices sell by the metric fucktonne, they just work and with no nonsense.

What they should have done and might still do is make a switch able thing so that we get the good things about Windows 8 but with the stuff we like from 7. It may still happen... but it probably won't.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.299 In reply to 40020.298 
Yup, I'd agree with that, except... they did the same dumb ass things to Server 2012!

And, 8 is half baked. You should never see the old Windows desktop if your aim is the average (afraid of computers) users. All that's going to do is confuse them!  And I can't wait until Surface starts shipping with 8 Pro on it. The bitching and moaning we are going to hear because some average (afraid of computers) user purchased an RT version and can't get anything to run is going to be the stuff of legend! 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.300 In reply to 40020.299 
Yup, I'd agree with that, except... they did the same dumb ass things to Server 2012!

And, 8 is half baked. You should never see the old Windows desktop if your aim is the average (afraid of computers) users. All that's going to do is confuse them!  And I can't wait until Surface starts shipping with 8 Pro on it. The bitching and moaning we are going to hear because some average (afraid of computers) user purchased an RT version and can't get anything to run is going to be the stuff of legend! 

I'll bet the average (afraid of computers) users will barely drop out of Metro and that's why I doubt there'll be an issue with RT, people just aren't going to use it that way.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  241–260  261–280  281–300  301–320  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats