SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.260 In reply to 40020.259 
Have you read this? I think you'll enjoy it - penned by MIT professor Philip Greenspun no less. A right royal Win8 bashing.

My favourite part is this:

quote:
The supplied keyboard is tiny, as if made for a clown.

Not a comment on the OS itself, just the Dell hardware it's running on.

I've always thought clowns were, y'know, average sized. I bend to Prof. Greenspun's infinitely better knowledge on homo sapiens and concur that clowns are leprechauns.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
40020.261 In reply to 40020.260 
That man is a genius, and therefore I am a genius by proxy.  He gets it!  It's a fucking hodge podge of old and new.

But to be fair, when he was complaining about the arrows being in different locations for different apps, Windows is not alone on things like that.  Android is getting better, but there are GUI issues as well.  Some developers are using the old menu style while others the new, icons are all different sizes, etc. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.262 In reply to 40020.260 
Perhaps they have tiny hands to offset their fucking mahooosive feet. innit.

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40020.263 In reply to 40020.262 
Sort of a push everything out of your hands and put it all into swelling the feet instead thing?

They're weird bastards them clowns.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.264 In reply to 40020.263 
But that's why they're funny!

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.265 In reply to 40020.261 
I've used Win8 a bit at work on a test tablet and wouldn't want to use it anywhere else.

I do agree with the good professor though his point about not being able to restart without going through the metro interface is wrong, unless he's lumping the charms into it too. In which case, yes. :-Y
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.266 In reply to 40020.265 
There is a lot wrong with it, but no one here wants to listen to me because I am a foreigner and they are all racists!

I'm not going to keep repeating it, so I'll just say there are places where that interface is flat out fucking great.  WP8 is one of them.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40020.267 In reply to 40020.264 

Clowns are inherently shit.

However, the best show I've seen live in recent years features clowns a lot. These clowns:

It's from Slava's snow show and it's the best thing I've seen live, well acted, full of pathos and nicely subtle. Until they blast the whole audience with 'snow' in the finale.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.268 In reply to 40020.266 
Did someone say something?

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
40020.269 In reply to 40020.268 
Maybe a clown?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.270 In reply to 40020.269 
Are you a clown? I thought you were a computer something or other but maybe you are actually a clown and trying to fit in here by pretending to like computers. I mean, you don't even like Windows 8 :S

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.271 In reply to 40020.267 
I thought "wow! they're performing while we're in the UK for new year, must take the kids!" Then I realised what a fucking journey that would be in our tight schedule :(

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.272 In reply to 40020.270 
I'm starting to hate computers...

And yes I am a clown.  My stage name is: Gogotz the Clown, the Prince of Mirth. 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.273 In reply to 40020.272 
As far as princes of mirth go, you're not very funny.

Except when you try to tell us that dates should be all illogical or you misspell 'colour'. But even then you're only mildly risible.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Having used it for a little while now I can honestly say that my prediction has come true in that I still barely use the start menu which means that the impact of Windows 8 on me is minimal.

Easiest way to shut down without resorting to kerazy shortcut creation and things is (wait for it) Alt+F4.

Other useful keyboard shortcuts include

Windows Key+C to bring up the 'Charms' menu.
Windows Key+X to bring up an approximation of the old start menu kinda, sortof.

The only specific tweak I've made is the removal of the 'Lock' screen and turned off the need to manually login my user.

Other tweaks can be found here which I may have already posted in this thread but I'm too lazy to check. or it's possible that someone else has posted it here and I shamelessly stole their hard work and claimed it for my own, nevertheless I see it as easing Ken's inevitable suffering now that he has bought a Windows 8 laptop so my conscience is clear.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  arq (ARQUETURUS)     
40020.275 In reply to 40020.274 
I'm nervous. I am looking forward to the hardware but not 8. And I don't think it would make sense buying the hardware and then putting 7 on it because it's not really touch friendly.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.276 In reply to 40020.275 
And you've got just under 4 months to worry about the consequences of your actions.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.277 In reply to 40020.276 
I'm really going to blow your mind when I post pictures of me using it in just under 28 days!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.278 In reply to 40020.277 
More likely you'll be sitting there on the 4th of January getting excited at the imminent arrival of your new toy but it doesn't turn up. Instead you have to wait another 3 months til your new baby is due.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.279 In reply to 40020.278 
haha, except the notification they sent actually spells out the word January! 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  221–240  241–260  261–280  281–300  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats