SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

Message 40020.241 deleted 27 Nov 2012 16:54 by SOPHIAWHITE

To:  ALL
Many people installed thinking Windows 8 would be better but every one is sticking back to Windows 7 because windows 8 has lot of disadvantages and limitations. Is Windows 8 is going to be flopped? Then why the Microsoft is releasing this version of Windows 8. Are they planning to make money by just changing the themes of Windows 7 and naming it as Windows 8. Is it necessary to upgrade to Windows 8?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Sophia (SOPHIAWHITE)     
40020.243 In reply to 40020.242 
We read it the first time. Changing the colour won't help.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Mod Madness?!

stickman2.png How long must I put up with the unholy sound of your gun?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX)     
40020.245 In reply to 40020.240 
Is your product Citrix based? PM if you'd prefer, I'm just being nosy.

(Also thanks for the heads up on Receiver, no doubt I'll get asked soon)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dan (HERMAND)     
40020.246 In reply to 40020.245 
Nah our products are web based (Drupal) and SQL but we use a Citrix back end (or any application provider, vmware, X2 appv etc.)to demo what our product can do  (www.centrixsoftware.com)

The problem with the RT version as far as I can see is that is only uses Citrix front end shop and not access gateway, it does not create an ICA extension type in the reg or even install a set directory structure. Its pretty much a stand alone application that connects to a Citrix front end server.

What we needed it to do was open a ICA file in the receiver just like it does on desktop, ipad, iphone, android device, zx spectrum.... but alas RT does not do that simple thing.

After playing with it a bit more I am getting over the OHHH factor pretty quickly. Its too heavy for long use, Windows 8 works well but the Arm device is under powered, mine sweeper takes nearly 20 seconds to load and a further 5 seconds to start a game, MINESWEEPER FFS!

I am quiet happy to give my son the Ipad to play with, they only real damage he can do is physical, if I gave him the Surface I can see it being wiped or broken pretty quickly as he presses every damn thing in sight. Its a windows OS that needs to be understood unlike an apple device which is press pretty buttons until something comes up. I prefer the windows way but then I have been working with it for years. A noob or ever a baby isn't going to pick it up, my baby can unlock the ipad, find the picture game he loves and then open and play it, something I very much doubt he could to as easily on the Surface.

I won't be buying one for a while.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.247 In reply to 40020.246 
Man, that sucks. According to the specs it'll work with Access Gateway Enterprise and, yeah, StoreFront. Bit of a poor show IMHO.

Mind you, the iPad version sucked at first, too.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.248 In reply to 40020.247 
Hopefully they will release a version that works in a few weeks, its not a show stopper as the Serface is so new but it would have been great to work straight out the box.
I have been using it instead of my laptop today and I still can't make up my mind if I like it or not. I tell you one thing though, controlling a server over RDP by touch is a awesome and scary thing to do, one slip and Whoops :D

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.249 In reply to 40020.248 
Haha :D To be honest, I've not let the surface factor into my ongoign tablet debate and to be honest, I don't think that'll change.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Has anyone found any useful apps for the Start screen? Apart from Solitaire and Minesweeper (because a Windows computer without those just doesn't feel right, for some reason), I spend all of my time on the desktop. Firefox, BBC iPlayer, iTunes, Steam, Keypass, Dropbox... None of them use the Metro wotsit at all.

In other words, what apps you got?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
40020.251 In reply to 40020.250 
I think it's going to take some time but there are going to Metro/Livetile wotsit thingies after a while for the most common big profile companies. After all, it's fantastic product placement as the stand out lovely and clearly.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.252 In reply to 40020.250 
Next-Gen Reader is very good.

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.253 In reply to 40020.250 
Does the weather app count?

Except that, the only thing I use is the xbox smartglass app.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
40020.254 In reply to 40020.252 
Ooh, that does look quite good. I may even buy that.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Well, I'm all upgraded and installed with Windows 8. All in all there are some interesting peculiarities but I quite like it. Seems faster than Win 7 but I've just double my ram and processor speed so that might have something to do with it.

It's definitely a step in the direction of a closed O/S which we all hate but the masses are going to love. I think it's the closest I've ever seen to a Windows O/S that just works. Once everyone starts knocking out app variants of their programs it's going to become a really slick environment to use with no need for the average person to stray into old school PC territory. However, it's all still there which I like.

It's got that always online feel to it too which is a sign of the times I suppose but it's another thing that I like.

I'm now really tempted to get a surface pro..

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Also, while I'm installing various stuffs I'm still with IE 10 and it's not actually shit. Consider me shocked.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.257 In reply to 40020.249 
Thread hijack! Dan, could I PM you about some shameless Windows server deployment / suitability etc help please? I've been out of touch for too long, anything beyond 2003 confuddles me :(
Thank you!
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  arq (ARQUETURUS)     
40020.258 In reply to 40020.256 
To be honest, IE9 really isn't that bad - yes Chrome etc may do some things better (rendering speed for one, at least in my experience) but it was a very good step in the right direction. I'm secretly hoping MS have some sort of revelation and sort their sh!t out properly.
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
40020.259 In reply to 40020.257 
Course you can, my field of scope is pretty narrow but ill help where I can.

Or chuck a thread up and let the hive mind so it's thing!
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
40020.260 In reply to 40020.259 
Have you read this? I think you'll enjoy it - penned by MIT professor Philip Greenspun no less. A right royal Win8 bashing.

My favourite part is this:

quote:
The supplied keyboard is tiny, as if made for a clown.

Not a comment on the OS itself, just the Dell hardware it's running on.

I've always thought clowns were, y'know, average sized. I bend to Prof. Greenspun's infinitely better knowledge on homo sapiens and concur that clowns are leprechauns.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  201–220  221–240  241–260  261–280  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats