SoftwareWindows 8

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Matt     
40020.24 In reply to 40020.22 
That's the thing. Windows 7 to me is what Vista should have been. All the improvements of Vista but with all the flaws fixed. So UAC is actually bearable, the "Shut down" option works properly, the UIs of many of the control panel applets received the desperate makeover that they needed etc. Then on top of that, they added features which were genuinely useful, like snapping Windows to the side, the newer task bar, etc. Windows 7 isn't perfect, that awful folder-jumping bug in Windows Explorer for instance is a notable example, but it fixed a lot of Vista's flaws, hence why it's been a generally well-liked OS.

As for Windows 8, I agree that there's lot to like. Including the new task manager for instance. Unfortunately, there's also plenty to hate as well. Hence why I reckon it'll struggle overall to be accepted. Still, we'll see. It'll either be a great success that will change PC computing, or a huge flop. Time will only tell which way people will ultimately view it.
---

DR_claim_1_100px.jpg
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
40020.25 In reply to 40020.13 
quote: Dave!!

Some would say it's the ultimate in monopoly abuse. Microsoft taking advantage of their dominant desktop position to push an OS that they *know* is badly suited to the desktop, just to help plug and push their tablet and phone offerings.

"Back to the Mac" (AKA forcing iOS over a proper OS) anyone?

truffy.gifbastard by name
bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Overall, I'm quite pleased with it, and pleased I upgraded. Perhaps it was the 7 pound price tag :-D 

I think on its own, the Start Screen works quite well - and equally, the desktop environment works well too, and has some nice, if subtle & mostly cosmetic changes.

Where I think it struggles, is mixing the two environments - it just doesn't flow right, like Alt+tabbing between apps when in Start gives Metro Apps + Desktop, but not desktop apps - etc. Same with opening files within Metro, launching desktop apps - it just doesn't quite flow very well.

I think it would have made more sense for you to be able to choose which environment you're working in - but guess they wouldn't be able to climatise users to the 'touch' interface that way!

My wife loves it though - when I told her I was spending my weekend upgrading Windows, I got the usual 'you've lost me already' look - but once she saw it, had a play, and explained it was much like her phone with a 'store' and 'apps' - she was sold and wanted it herself.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Up until now I've pretty much completely ignored it based on what people have said but I'm getting a small urge (no John (I was very tempted to say that on Talk Ford when I said I had a fiddle :D )) to try it out now. Don't know if I could be bothered to reinstall 7 if I hate it though, even though it would be nice to reinstall and have my boot drive back to C.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Chris (CHRISSS)     
40020.28 In reply to 40020.27 

I bought it last night, though not installed yet. You can get it for £15 by saying you bought a PC in the last year or something! Excellent! 

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
40020.29 In reply to 40020.28 
That's almost tempting to have my first legal OS (on a main computer) since Win95.

There's a review on Engadget, I haven't anything but the wrap up, which says it should be used with multitouch gestures, even if it's just a multitouch trackpad on a normal PC.

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.30 In reply to 40020.29 
I'm using it now. It's a bit odd!

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.31 In reply to 40020.28 
where?

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
40020.32 In reply to 40020.31 

http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

It asks what you bought. I said "other" and picked June last year. It might be right! (It's not right).

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.33 In reply to 40020.30 
Nice review :)

Me
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.34 In reply to 40020.32 
I tried that last night. I filled it all in, waited half an hour for the email which didn't arrive, tried logging in to my account only to be told that access to it was restricted, figured that MS had caught on to the loophole and fixed it, and bought it for the normal £25 price. Just as I pressed Submit on the confirmation page, the discount code email arrived. Harrumph.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.35 In reply to 40020.33 

It's still about all I got for now. Like, the tile thing looks quite pretty and some of the apps in it are quite neat. But then you click on something and whoosh you're in a Windows 7 style desktop view again. I gather it all takes a few days to get used to using and I've had literally a couple of hours so far.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.36 In reply to 40020.32 
Thanks. I didn't realise that the full version was so cheap though. Or perhaps I did and then forgot.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, I could load it onto one of my Macs and play with it. On the other, what the hell for?

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.37 In reply to 40020.36 

I can't see that there'd be much benefit in it for you, certainly. 

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
40020.38 In reply to 40020.24 
I've been using Windows 8 as my primary OS since the Developer Preview. I really like it. I'll like it more when I upgrade to a laptop with a touch screen, and it's great on my BUILD 2011 Samsung Series 7 and my shiny new Surface RT. Yes, some cheese has been moved, but even if you just jump straight into the Desktop and only use the Start Screen for searching for and launching stuff, and never touch any TIFKAM apps at all, there are still plenty of improvements in terms of performance and stability that make it worth the upgrade. Oh, and the fact that settings are now roaming via your Windows Live ID Microsoft Account. And Xbox Live integration. Also, Aero is gone, yay. I hated Aero.

The key thing here is that OEMs were never going to start making next-generation, touch-enabled devices for Windows while Windows wasn't optimised for touch-enabled devices, and Microsoft had to break that stalemate somehow. Learn some new keyboard shortcuts and Windows 8 will dance like 7 never could, both in Desktop and TIFKAM.

Yes, there are some rough edges (the Mail app sucks, for example) but there will be more frequent updates to both the OS and the apps, and pretty much every OEM is going to be shipping touch screens and better trackpads and other things to work better with Windows 8, so that by the time 8.1 or 8.5 or 9 arrives, the world will be ready for it.

Also, Leapmotion.

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
40020.39 In reply to 40020.38 
I completely disagree about it being good.  I have it on a few computers here at home and I have Server 2012 on 3 servers now.  I can't believe how terrible it is.  They've made it twice as hard to get to things.  Trying to get to Computer Management is really fun now.  I don't even know where to begin to make it OK.  Instead of an area where all programs and settings are easily accessible they've scattered shit from end to end.  You never know exactly to look for it. It's pretty bad when you get something for free and you don't even want to use it!

stickman2.png By reading my posts you agree to my terms of service.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 40020.40 was deleted

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
40020.41 In reply to 40020.38 
Aero is gone, yay. I hated Aero.
I wasn't keen on it myself either. I much prefer Cadburys to Nestlé.
pretty much every OEM is going to be shipping touch screens
Hopefully someone will educate them that resistive screens blow donkeys compared to capacitive first.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:       
40020.42 In reply to 40020.40 
OOooh, we have a new spammer. I would say "welcome", but that would be hypocrisy.

Now do fuck off.

bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

40020.43 In reply to 40020.41 
Isn't that a given these days? Are there any OEMs actually shipping resistive touch screens at all these days? I only ever see them popping up in really shit and cheap tablets.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  21–40  41–60  …  421–432

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats