War & PoliticsTottenham - what gives?

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Ken (SHIELDSIT)     
38778.175 In reply to 38778.174 
tbh we don't seem to need/want them much - I know of one handgun, and that has been stored in oil for over 50 years, though there are any amount of shotguns about (I live in a fairly rural area)

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
38778.176 In reply to 38778.161 
If looters are constantly turned away from being able to loot, they'll eventually get bored, but every time they're successful it empowers them to keep going, and potentially get do more severe things.

I think that shooting them in the kneecaps might be a more effective deterrent.

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
38778.177 In reply to 38778.168 
quote: JonCooper
stores have insurance, tbh I'd rather Rumbelows lost a few TVs than anyone get shot

And I'm sure that you won't complain when your insurance premiums go up to compensate.

Oh, did you think that the insurance companies are in it for the benefit of the greater good?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
38778.178 In reply to 38778.175 
quote: JonCooper
there are any amount of shotguns about (I live in a fairly rural area)

And they're an integral part of the marriage ceremony! :D

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
38778.179 In reply to 38778.177 
my insurance goes up whatever happens

I don't believe shooting people is the answer to any issue / problem (unless they shoot first)

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Its fairly common to have a riot exclusion in retail insurance stuff. Some will be insured, most I fear won't.

Roses are bollocks, Violets are crud, I hate bloody flowers, And much prefer mud.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
"Understanding why this happened is different to justifying it" on sky news - Good point, that.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mouse     
38778.182 In reply to 38778.180 
Papers are reporting that Met must legally pay compensation from reserves. It'll still come from us eventually, of course, but the route is different.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
38778.183 In reply to 38778.182 

That's good.

Mikee: I told Skynews to say that, as per my post earlier in this thread.

Roses are bollocks, Violets are crud, I hate bloody flowers, And much prefer mud.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38778.184 In reply to 38778.183 

Sky news told me to tell you there's been sunshine across the UK today but it's a very different story tomorrow- quite wet and very windy.

Some very heavy bursts of rain, temperatures down to 9-14. There will be a gusty wind developing.

That's it from me, bye for now.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mikee     
38778.185 In reply to 38778.184 
Tell Skynews to go suck a bag of dicks.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38778.186 In reply to 38778.184 
Better not be over Birmingham
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38778.187 In reply to 38778.185 
http://www.okmagazine.com/2011/08/hulk-hogan-talks-london-riots-on-bbc-radio-ill-body-slam-the-youth/
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38778.188 In reply to 38778.187 
That's the spirit Hulk Hogan

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
38778.189 In reply to 38778.125 
Again with good light/bad light! Who cares? I think burning down other peoples' shit shows them in a pretty bad light to start with but, again, that's not the point.

Also what Milko said.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38778.190 In reply to 38778.174 
Guns are fun, that's for sure. But I don't want people here owning guns. But then we don't have a history and culture of needing/using them to survive so it's hardly surprising. I think Manthorp summed it up well. But I'll add that it's a real shame that gun control is a partisan issue over there, it pushes the whole of your politics to the right by forcing people who only agree with Republicans on gun control to vote that way.

As for the fun thing... I'm pretty sure detonating nuclear devices would be fun and the media informs me that small ones can be made with household items. I can perfectly well imagine a culture where their use was culturally and historically ingrained. I wouldn't want one though, and I don't want other people having them. That's pretty much how guns look to us.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
38778.191 In reply to 38778.190 
A gun and nuclear weapon are a pretty far stretch man.

But that's kind of the point I was trying to make. Guns don't just need to be used as a weapon they can be a deterrent as well. Kind of like the arms races were in the cold ward days.

If you know someone has a weapon, be it a gun or bomb you would be less likely to do something to that person compared to the person you were sure didn't have one.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38778.192 In reply to 38778.191 
quote:
If you know someone has a weapon, be it a gun or bomb you would be less likely to do something to that person compared to the person you were sure didn't have one.

Nope, I'd go for the one with the weapon, because:

1) if I didn't he might pull the weapon on me when I went for the other guy

2) once I beat him, I'd then have a weapon to use on the other guy
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38778.193 In reply to 38778.191 
It's not really a far stretch for us. I mean gun to us is like nuclear device (I mean just a little one, like the battlefield nukes we all deny using in every modern conflict despite the suspicious radiation levels near the sites of explosions which look very much like small nukes) to you.

A gun's (handguns and assault weapons) only purpose is killing people. We don't like that, we just have an cultural block against things like that. I'd rather not go out each day with a tool solely designed for killing people because of what that would say about me. The selfishness/self-centredness that would represent. Historically we're less individualistic and a bit more communally minded over here and I think that matters too.

It's different over there - I also think the sneering attitude some anti-gun people have towards those who like guns is disgusting. We have to accept that it's a cultural thing and culture is a powerful thing.

But yeah, it's exactly like the arms race. I mean, if I'm in a fight and I'm in a situation where I value my safety over that of the person attacking me then if they have fists I want a knife/stick. If they have a knife I want a gun. But when everyone has a gun we're all just hoping no one shoots.

quote:

I'd rather they be less likely to do something because their culture dictates that hurting people is a bad thing to do. If we've lost that then I don't really think it matters what they come at me with. I still believe that hurting people is bad so I'd rather not be tooled up to hurt people.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
38778.194 In reply to 38778.193 
Yeah all good points. And of course you hope to never have to use it. We've been through that before, you and I.

I'm very curious to see the final outcome of all of this.

Hmm, and I don't know that owning a gun makes me self centered. I certainly makes me feel like a provider or protector if need be.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  121–140  141–160  161–180  181–200  …  281–298

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats