Games (inc Online)Teh Mine

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  JonCooper     
38140.3373 In reply to 38140.3372 
Hence my new map + survival mode thoughts - would make things exciting again.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
38140.3374 In reply to 38140.3372 
Yeah, I haven't played for a while, and haven't got the same drive to experiment. Maybe as and when something new for crafting comes out.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
38140.3375 In reply to 38140.3373 

New map is a reasonable idea. I'll see if I can have multiworlds so the old map still exists.

Also, mobs, aren't they supposed to slow down the server significantly?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
38140.3376 In reply to 38140.3375 

It used to be mobs in general slowing things down, then that was fixed but only animals were turned on because of wimpy people who are all off playing Skyrim now.

And yeah, multiworlds would be handy for people wanting to look at the old stuff.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3377 In reply to 38140.3375 
Found the EpizZones plugin which allows zone-based mob spawning (and a bunch of other stuff).

So if there are any scaredy-cats still wanting to play we can have a safe "civilized" area, but still have monsters enabled in general so the game is more interesting.

Also provides a list of multi-world plugins, meaning we could provide in-game switching between the existing map and a new one - although that implies the ability to carry inventory, and personally I'd prefer a completely fresh map, without any imported goods. :P
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3378 In reply to 38140.3366 

Thanks for upgrading the server - Is it possible to turn the need to eat off?

It's fecking annoying when you're trying to concentrate on building.

Peter - would you want this option on for the adventuring side o' the game?

I don't like it - the need to eat in games takes up the time I could be eating in real life. :C

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
38140.3379 In reply to 38140.3378 
Well I probably wouldn't complain if it was turned off (either globally or selectively), but I wouldn't vote in favour of doing so either.

I was initially opposed to the idea, but the way it's been implemented isn't actually that bad; makes it more of a challenge than a chore.

You don't actually need to eat - it stops you auto-regenerating, but if you completely starve yourself, you will simply go down to half health and ... that it's - it doesn't (afaik) affect you in any other way.
So if you're concentrating on building, you can just ignore it, and it doesn't really matter (unless you like regularly jumping off things and hurting yourself).

Creating a wheat farm to effectively get an endless supply of bread isn't a big deal, and food stacks in your inventory now so it's easy to carry a bunch around.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3380 In reply to 38140.3378 
Also, if the old map stays active, perhaps it could be turned into a full creative world, if there are people that want that?

(So long as any link between the two prevents transferring of inventories.)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Can silvester3 be added to the whitelist? I won't say plx this time Peter. :P

I like the current setup (no mobs but not full creative) but adding mobs would be okay, as long as they were scaled back a bit somehow. I find it irritating to get up after one night on survival mode and find half a dozen creepers still wandering around. :( I've heard of servers where they play with no explosions, making creepers pretty much harmless but not mitigating the danger of other mobs, plus explosions destroy stuff you've made and that sucks.

As for a new map, I wouldn't be against it but I haven't actually built much of any size so I'd rather leave any decision to people people who've made stuff like the citadel. It would help fix the weird cutoffs between terrain generated in the old and new engines though. If the old map can be maintained alongside a new one that would be ideal.

Also, I can't think of a signature, any ideas?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Oscarvarium (OZGUR)     
38140.3382 In reply to 38140.3381 
I'm going to get a tad pedantic for a moment:
The current setup has mobs, because "mob" means "mobile" - i.e. any moving creature (or "NPC" then).

What it doesn't have are hostile mobs. (Well, it has wolves, who are sheep-hostile and attack players if provoked; and it doesn't have endermen who are neutral unless looked at, but "hostile mobs" or "monsters" is sufficiently descriptive/accurate in this context - simply saying "mobs" is not.)

Nerfing the monsters is stupid - you might as well disable them entirely - a creeper explosion destroys at most 5³ blocks, so it's not a lot of effort to re-build.

But anyway, that's the point of my safe zone suggestion - to prevent hostile spawning without having to place torches everywhere. You can add explosion protection to that zone too, if you're really wimpy, and paranoid someone might lead a creeper back. :P

Even if it's not feasible to run multiple maps on the server (i.e. insufficient hardware), the old one can be archived and probably even made available as a download, so nobody has to worry about their old creations. (Would be nice if they could both be run side-by-side though, so people allergic to monsters can use the old one :P)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3383 In reply to 38140.3382 
I actually put "no hostile mobs" at first but thought it sounded too pedantic. :((

I actually meant scaled back in terms of numbers, not potency (except for creepers). I don't mind having mobs but I'd like some kind of distinction between inhabited/built up areas and 'the wilderness' without having to plant torches everywhere. A set safe zone wouldn't be particularly elegant since people would always be expanding beyond it.

I would like to have enemies as a way to gather resources, mainly bones, but I don't like the idea of exploring/mining and getting knocked into lava by a creeper. :<

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3384 In reply to 38140.3383 
One extra word can never be too pedantic. :P

quote:
A set safe zone wouldn't be particularly elegant since people would always be expanding beyond it.

No, because the safe zone would be sufficiently large to avoid that, and with that plugin I found, it can be expanded in-game. (Or new zones created, for people wanting remote colonies.)

quote:
I would like to have enemies as a way to gather resources, mainly bones, but I don't like the idea of exploring/mining and getting knocked into lava by a creeper.

Wuss.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3385 In reply to 38140.3384 
Hey, getting killed and losing tools/diamonds/obsidian to lava is annoying enough when it's my own stupid fault, if it was entirely down to the game being a bastard I'd get /really/ pissed. :C

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3386 In reply to 38140.3385 
You don't lose your items if you are killed - they get scattered on the ground, ready for you to go collect.

(It's only the falling in lava that destroys them normally - the solution to which is stay away from lava.)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3387 In reply to 38140.3386 
I know that, but there is often valuable stuff near lava and an explosion that can destroy 5 blocks in all directions has a fairly decent chance of revealing lava if you're deep enough.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3388 In reply to 38140.3387 
If you're going underground to mine diamond or obsidian then PLACE TORCHES.

It's a good idea to help you find your way out anyway.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3389 In reply to 38140.3387 
(All of this is only an issue if it's not possible to run multiple maps on the server. If it is possible, I can have my exciting proper survival mode and you can stay with the current boring map.)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3390 In reply to 38140.3379 

Not sure which version you're playing, but currently when you're low on food you get your avatar grunting every 3 seconds as though someone's clubbing him over the head and the view skews off to one side as though someone's clubbing him over the head. :C

This may be down to the regeneration - you lose some health due to hunger, then goes back up again, not sure if it still does that at half health. :?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3391 In reply to 38140.3390 
wtf are you waffling on about?

quote: minecraftwiki
When the Food Bar is at 0 points, your health will deplete at the same rate it would regenerate when at or above 90%. On Easy difficulty, the player's health stops dropping at 5 hearts
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.3392 In reply to 38140.3391 
And we have a slow health mod on which recharged health or something, or slows the rate of depletion.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  3321–3340  3341–3360  3361–3380  3381–3400  …  3921–3934

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats