Games (inc Online)Teh Mine

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
If anyone wants to make a screenshot for the mini-site it's F2. Press F1 if you don't want the GUI and crosshair on the screenshot.

They will be stored here...

code:
Linux: ~/.minecraft/screenshots
Windows: %appdata%\.minecraft\screenshots
Windows Vista \ 7: ~:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\screenshots
Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/screenshots

attach here or send to teh at wakeupbomb co uk
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Mouse's Modest Art Gallery is now open. Please excuse my neighbour who appears to be building some kind of Space Shuttle monstrosity. I am currently building very high trees along our border so your cultural experience isn't too badly affected.

Roses are bollocks, Violets are crud, I hate bloody flowers, And much prefer mud.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
38140.2623 In reply to 38140.2621 
Dunno if it's one for Teh gallery but I got this glitch the other day. You can clearly see veins of coal and iron so I wonder if you could use it to find diamond/whatever. (giggle)

Also, I can't think of a signature, any ideas?

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Oscarvarium (OZGUR)     
38140.2624 In reply to 38140.2623 
I thought you read all the threads here? :P

I'm sure glitch mining has been discussed several times.
Yes, you can see what's underground, and if you spot diamonds you can attempt to identify the appropriate above ground spot and then dig directly down to them.

But what you'll probably do is think you see diamonds, rush over to the spot as soon as the gap loads, dig a small hole to mark the area, then chop down lots of trees and craft some ladders for getting out with, then start digging a 2x1 hole all the way down, somehow get killed by the buggy bloody server software, return to the spot and find all your equipment gone, go spend ages working to get at least a set of iron tools, carefully making your way down and laying ladders as you go, before reaching the bottom, digging around a bit because you missed the precise spot, before eventually finding out it was bloody lapis lazuli you saw, not diamonds.

:'(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
38140.2625 In reply to 38140.2624 

I said that I read them, not that I memorised them. :<

And yeah, I was thinking that would be more or less the case. I've never used a 1x1 or 1x2 shaft for mining though, seems like it would be a bit fiddly.

Also, I can't think of a signature, any ideas?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2626 In reply to 38140.2625 
Nah, not fiddly, and a faster descent than any other method (other than using existing caverns/shafts/etc), aside from a single column 1x1 hole which is risky.

Stand in the middle of the two blocks and dig down on alternating sides - means there's no risk of falling into deep caverns or lava, because you'll always be standing on the highest block.

Avoid doing it when the server is lagging or you might get raised back up and then dropped to fall into a crumpled heap of bones.
(Of course, now we have /back so you don't need to worry about rushing to get your stuff back and descending the hole if that does happen.)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2627 In reply to 38140.2625 
As PB said, vertical mining is a bit risky but it's my preferred mining method.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2628 In reply to 38140.2623 
glitch mining is great, it's how I got nearly all my diamonds, don't get as many glitches as I used to now though

dunno about PB making all those ladders though, I usually just replace all the stuff I dug out, jumping up and laying blocks at the same time

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
38140.2629 In reply to 38140.2628 
I tend to make the shaft then dig long tunnels low down from there to search for diamonds, then diagonally dig my way out.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
38140.2630 In reply to 38140.2628 
Too fiddly... I've decided to just strip-mine as much as I can/need between levels 10 - 16, so far it seems to work OK.
[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
38140.2631 In reply to 38140.2630 
there is a lot of that going on too, soon* the whole server map will have no blocks at that level anywhere

I only do the glitch mining when I can, which is much less often these days

*eventually**
**maybe

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2632 In reply to 38140.2630 

I dig a diagonal shaft down to the bedrock, then work in strips every few vertical steps going either side of the shaft, it's worked so far in the two shafts I've dug - I've found gold, diamonds and tons o' coal and iron. I've found a fair few caverns as well.

General question - last night I was buggering about in a cavern (YJ) and fell into lava, I used the /back command when I respawned but couldn't find the stuff I was carrying - does that burn up in the lava, or would it exist still, but be bobbing about under the surface?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
38140.2633 In reply to 38140.2632 
Fairly sure it burns in lava. Often when you die in lava and you're at the edge of some rock your items will come of out you on death and land around you so some will burn in the lava and some will land on the nearby rock and be saved meaning you can get them back using /back.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2634 In reply to 38140.2632 
That's good, but I need want diamonds, not iron etc... You usually find plenty of iron/gold/coal/lapis lazuli as well anyway. And diamonds are most plentiful in layers 10-16, hence me stripping that. What I hadn't realised is that you can actually leave 3 blocks between the mining galleries not just 2, because mineral/ore veins are at least 2 blocks wide. That meant I was digging inefficiently for f'in ages :(

I think the likelihood of lava also decreases a lot above a height of 10, or at least that's what it looks like to me so far. Fewer lost diamonds, woo hoo!

To answer your question, and dropped blocks/resources/etc will burn when they touch lava :(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
38140.2635 In reply to 38140.2633 
:C I was thinking that if they survived within the lava you could maybe douse it with a bucket o' water and collect your stuff back!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2636 In reply to 38140.2634 

How far do you dig out horizontally?

To stop me going too far I dig as far as a stone pick takes me.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mouse     
38140.2637 In reply to 38140.2622 
Space shuttle monstrosity! Big ugly hole! What is it with you people? Just don't shout at me when I've built the whole thing and want it moved somewhere else :p

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

And I noticed Patch has cleared some stuff away for me last night. Thank you :D Hopefully I'll get a chance later to do some too.

Chrissywissywoo
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2639 In reply to 38140.2636 

I don't go too far - I try and stick to a system, so I would dig the first gallery with the ceiling as level 16, and go about 25 blocks, then keep adding galleries spaced 3 blocks apart until I have 10 or so in parallel; I'll then go below my starting point and dig a parallel setup in (hopefully) the same xy layout, so that the floor between them is one block high.

When I finished that, I'll go back to the level above and expand the first shaft another whatever blocks, rinse and repeat. I think all this ensures I find virtually everything in that space, and it seems to be quite scalable as long as you can find your way back... Putting torches consistently on one side helps with that.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2640 In reply to 38140.2639 

Nice, I'll try that technique out.

Providing everything's nice n'tidy navigation shouldn't be too hard - maybe just a torch showing where the main staircase shaft is. I can see what I'm mining even when there's no light source around.

Hmm, maybe my brightness is set too high. T_T

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  2581–2600  2601–2620  2621–2640  2641–2660  …  3921–3934

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats