Games (inc Online)Teh Mine

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Mikee     
38140.2465 In reply to 38140.2436 
I don't want to be a dick about this (well, any more than I actually am a dick) but.. I've asked you several times not to build shit around the citadel. I realise I don't like... own the land and everyone's free to build wherever they like. But I chose that island/peninsula - way away from spawn - to give me room to build out into. And, as I say, it's not like there's not plenty of open space to go and build in.

It's not like there's any rules or anything but if someone's started building in what is clearly a quite distinct and remote area then it probably means they either want it remote or have plans for the surroundings. It's just about courtesy for me. I'd at least ask if I wanted to build something in an obviously 'claimed' area.

Can you please just choose a spot on the map as your own and build there? There's no lack of open space. Or if you want your stuff to be in a kinda theme park area where it would actually fit in and where everyone's building next to each other then choose one of the areas where it's like that, where that's the point.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
38140.2466 In reply to 38140.2465 

I chose an area that seemed to be near where everyone seemed to be building - but with enough distance around me not to interfere with anyone else's stuff. I put it in the large open space between the large buildings and Jons stuff to the west.

I hadn't realised that you had claimed this entire area, and I hadn't realised that all the buildings around here were yours. This seemed to be the place of the most activity.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2467 In reply to 38140.2466 
That would make sense if... I hadn't told you about 5 times.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2468 In reply to 38140.2467 
No, you told me you used the sand near your harvester for testing stuff - which is fair enough - i moved it, and you said the tree was in a bad place because you might extend the gardens, so I moved further out to make sure you had more than enough room to build any garden you might want to build.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2469 In reply to 38140.2465 
It's a little unfair to make people walk to an area though, especially when a lot of the existing constructions are really close to the spawn. Why didn't you trudge off into the wilderness and build there, why did you conveniently choose somewhere so relatively close to the spawn to start building?

From the perspective of someone new joining the server, or just someone who is thinking about starting to build something big, it's a really, really annoying to have to wander off somewhere before you can even think about building.

Like, seriously, in the nicest way possible, fuck that.

You (by which I mean everyone, including Mikee) shouldn't be allowed to stop people from building anywhere because you might want to build something there yourself, that's very elitist and quite a shitty attitude to have. If you have plans for an area you should have to stake a claim in it by fencing it off. This will stop people from saying don't build there, no not there either, nor there, go further away, I hate you, fuck off etc.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
38140.2470 In reply to 38140.2469 

It isn't that near Spawn and Drew actually specifically found an area that was away from things with suitable amounts of flat area for when him, Patch and Kev started work on the Citadel. It may look like it's near everything now but it didn't used to be, buildings have sprung up nearby.

Yeah it's difficult to know who is using what area but surely people want their own space for expansion etc so why not have a wander elsewhere. The map is there for a reason so you can see what's about, where's flat, where the water is, you can see the railway on it to see how easy it is to get to.

If you feel out of the way build a railway and ask Kev nicely to connect it to the mainline and he'll do the job.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL

I agree with Matt's final bit. If you want to claim an area there needs to be an obvious boundary - it's why I used a fence and put torches round the coast.

(FWIW, I wandered about then found a large unused area; didn't realise it was as close to spawn as it is.)

However, new people also shouldn't be afraid to explore further out. Once you find an area, /home lets you get there *instantly* (excluding lag), nether gates can do it quickly (talk to HardWork), and tracks are relatively easy to build too.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
38140.2472 In reply to 38140.2470 
It's relatively close though, that was kinda my point.

You're asking people who haven't yet made a stake on any land or built anything (i.e. me) to basically bugger off somewhere miles away in case they build somewhere someone else had earmarked (and possibly not told anyone else about) and then if I do find a suitable spot, I or someone else has to spend time connecting it up.

That's all very well, but it's a huge sap to motivation to have to wander off for 10~20 minutes to make sure you don't cause conflict with someone else, and like I said it comes across very elitist. It's kinda like you can't build here because I said so, so there!

I agree that as a new builder I should be considerate of other people's future plans, but that's not easy when you don't know what their plans might include or how far out they might build. So with that in mind, those who have claimed land for future development should be considerate of my intention to build and mark out their land telling me not to use it.

That is all.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2473 In reply to 38140.2469 
Firstly, what Ant said - that was wilderness when I built there and it was (I think) the furthest building away from Spawn at the time. It's not remotely close to spawn, actually.

Of course as people join the server they have to venture further away from spawn to find 'clear' land to build in, that is inevitable and no real inconvenience as there's no reason to go back to spawn and because there is an extensive travel network (which now uses the nether so it's very fast to get to seemingly remote places). There's no hardship at all in building further out beyond the initial trek out there which is... well, part of the game. And fun.

And, bemusingly, Mikee did exactly that when he joined - he made a railway line to somewhere far to the north and I assumed he was going to build his stuff there. Which would've made sense (although I'd argue it'd make more sense to build your stuff and then connect it up by rail) but he ... just left it and started building stuff next to mine instead.

If the terrain were limited or empty space was hard to find or if there was any hardship in being further out or it was difficult to travel long distances then you'd have a point, but none of those things is true.

We shouldn't have to fence of land. No one owns the land - anyone can, of course, build anywhere. But it's pretty obvious looking at the map which areas are occupied and which are not and, as I've said, I just see it as a matter of courtesy to not encroach on someone else's creation without at least asking if they mind first. It's not about ownership and staking a claim and shit like that, it's just about manners.

Of course if space was limited then it'd be different. What gets me is that there's plenty of open space - the vast majority of the yet-discovered terrain is completely empty. I've asked Mikee (nicely) several times, in several different ways, to find somewhere empty to build into. And every time he moves a few metres away (literally) and continues building. I don't know whether I'm being unwittingly obscure or whether he disagrees and is trying to tell me that without just using words or is just doing it to piss me off. Which is why I've posted here.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
38140.2474 In reply to 38140.2471 
We shouldn't have to use fences. It doesn't take a genius to use the map and work out in which areas you are going to be treading on someone's toes. It's not about saying "I own this land, fuck off". It's about "there's something already here - you might want to at least ask before building something within sight of it when there's plenty of fucking empty space to build in".

I don't want to discourage people from co-operation, that's what the game's about. If someone wants to help me build my thing, I welcome that. If someone has an idea for something that might look cool near/next to/inside my thing then I welcome that too. Building something which clashes with the tone of the current stuff when there's plenty of open space to build in, without asking, is not co-operation, it's quite the opposite.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2475 In reply to 38140.2473 

It's not remotely close, but now that there are lots of other constructions in that area (edit: between your place and the spawn I mean), it's much more relatively closer compared to where I might have to go to start building.

As for the map making things obvious. It might be obvious to you, but I have no idea what your future intentions are for the land you've already built on. And the terrain might be unlimited, but when you have empty pockets and no way to quick travel somewhere, it suddenly becomes much more of an issue. Once you're well established and have resources pouring out everywhere it's a little bit different.

Maybe the spawn should be moved and a DMZ (non-build) area put around it. The only thing that can be built there is a mine cart line that connects to the network?

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2476 In reply to 38140.2472 
It's not really 10-20 minutes of walking, it's more like 5 to get away from things. I haven't checked but if you walked for 20 minutes flat you'd be very far away. Actually, it's my dinner hour (like that matters :$ ) and I'll go to spawn and walk for about 15 mins and see where I end up.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2477 In reply to 38140.2474 
Doesn't need to be fences - a sign or two at the boundary saying "this is my garden" would be enough.

I otherwise agree with everything there, but it seems new people are worried about being seen/included and don't realise distance isn't significant to that. (Nor a factor in travelling.)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2478 In reply to 38140.2472 
It's not relatively close at all. It's about as far as you can get within the current area of built-up stuff from spawn. The whole area to the north and east of spawn - right next to spawn, going in that direction, is completely empty. And being close to spawn brings no benefit anyway, so is beside the point.

quote:
but it's a huge sap to motivation to have to wander off for 10~20 minutes to make sure you don't cause conflict with someone else

Seriously? Why?

quote:
and like I said it comes across very elitist. It's kinda like you can't build here because I said so, so there!

How is it by any stretch of the imagination elitist? Seriously - I'm actually asking.

It's not about 'you can't build here because I said so', it's about 'oh there's something already here, so rather than build next to someone else in the 5% of occupied land yet discovered, how about I either ask if they mind or build in the 95% of empty fucking land'.

quote:
I agree that as a new builder I should be considerate of other people's future plans, but that's not easy

It's pretty fucking easy really.

I'll do a helpful and beautiful diagram.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2479 In reply to 38140.2475 
I'd like you to note from my beautiful diagram that no one else at all seemed to have a problem with this concept.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2480 In reply to 38140.2475 
quote:
no way to quick travel somewhere

We have a quick travel network, thanks to Kev. Sure, you don't know that the second you join but that's why you ask rather than presuming. As I said, no one else struggled with any of this.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2481 In reply to 38140.2473 

Like I've said...

I made my first redstone creation near where I was told was the place people use to test redstone stuff. You knocked it down, I wasn't that bothered. Didn't realise you wanted that space clear. It was only an experiment anyway.

I built a tree near-ish your church. Didn't think it'd matter because it was quite a subtle thing. You said you might need that land, I said it was fine, just knock it down.

So I moved out to a place where I knew was far away enough for nobody to need that land and built my thing there.

I built at the edge of what I considered to be the hub of activity. That's how the game is played on all other private servers I've been on.

Either way, I've taken it down and now that I know you have laid claim to this area, I'll make sure it's far away.

Attachments:

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2482 In reply to 38140.2481 
Excellent, thanks. I'm glad it only took me asking politely 10 times and an argument on the forum to get you to see what everyone else seemed to take for granted.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
quote:
Excellent, thanks. I'm glad it only took me asking politely 10 times and an argument on the forum to get you to see what everyone else seemed to take for granted.

..... at what point did you become such a dick?

quote:
It's pretty fucking easy really.

I'll do a helpful and beautiful diagram.

And that's really easy to see for a new person coming onto the server, isn't it?

No, it's really not. I see lots of buildings in random places and have no idea who built them and what plans they have for the future.

But thanks for the diagram.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

38140.2484 In reply to 38140.2483 
quote:
..... at what point did you become such a dick?

I think I've pretty much always been a dick.

quote:
And that's really easy to see for a new person coming onto the server, isn't it?

As I say, no one else seemed to struggle. And I did tell you several times.

quote:
But thanks for the diagram.

My pleasure :D (hug)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  2421–2440  2441–2460  2461–2480  2481–2500  …  3921–3934

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats