Games (inc Online)Minecraft

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
37760.198 In reply to 37760.196 
Actually, there's a few more exceptions - organic blocks (leaves,cactus,canes,etc) have special rules about how they can be placed, or if they'll stay in place.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
37760.199 In reply to 37760.197 

Ooh, ok. I can't say I'd noticed before, I only got around to very basic building in Minecraft :-$

I keep restarting, I tend to think I want a particular world with plenty of hills and mountains and stuff... I should stop being picky and just get on with something.

[...Insert Brain Here...]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
I now want to play waste several hours this evening and start making a floating shelter, evolving into a floating base (of DOOM, with lava/water around it to stop creeps and possibly automated dispenser traps). Someone will owe me a life :C
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.201 In reply to 37760.200 
You think you'll get that done in just "several hours"? :P
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.202 In reply to 37760.201 
*days

:(( *watches*
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

We need a Teh server...

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Drew (X3N0PH0N)     
37760.204 In reply to 37760.203 

edit: or we can rent one for $25 per month or something if enough of us really want it :/

I wouldn't imagine that it's very bandwidth intensive... Will a dedicated server run on a single-core, old 1.5GHz laptop d'you think? If so I'd be happy to get it running on that for now. I wouldn't imagine it's bandwidth-heavy either, so my measly 3Mbps down / 1Mbps up should be fine. Right?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.205 In reply to 37760.204 
I don't think it's worth paying for, there are plenty of other servers out there. Just if someone has a spare machine lying around and a reasonable connection, kinda thing.

And yeah the server is java so it's quite resource heavy, particularly RAM, so not sure that machine would be up to it. But there's only one way to find out :D

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.206 In reply to 37760.203 
I've been looking. Beyond getting a server, which we could probably just get another Linode instance for, I found hMod (which is being superseded by Bukkit, but that's not out yet) which allows you to add your own plugins to Minecraft, all in a deliciously simple looking API which handily includes MySQL support and many more lovely things.

I've haven't had a proper look at the documentation, but I imagine it can't be too hard to write a plugin to integrate with Beehive's user authentication then we can force people to register here before they can play on Teh Mine and do things with permissions n'shit.

All we need to do is get a server and install hMod on it and get someone to write some Java to create our plugin.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.207 In reply to 37760.205 
quote:
the server is java so it's quite resource heavy, particularly RAM

That's a common assumption/misunderstanding.

Java will use as much memory as you give it - if you say it can have a max of 4G, it'll most likely go ahead and reserve that space, even if it doesn't need it and isn't actually using it.

See here: http://www.fusion-reactor.com/fr/images/screenshots/MemoryGraph1.gif - it's been assigned upto 500MB and is allocating around 175MB, even though most times it's using less than 50MB and never appears to go over 150MB.
(The specifics will vary, but the general concept is the same with any Java server, afaik.)

The point is, you need to run a Minecraft server and measure how much it is actually using (or even, how it performs without much allocated to it), and then you'll know what you actually need.

It's a pity the server wasn't done as either a WAR or lib/JAR file that could just be plugged in to an existing JEE server, cus then I could plonk it onto my Tomcat and test all this without any hassle.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.208 In reply to 37760.203 

GIVE ME MEAT! :@ msg:37418.1
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Matt     
37760.209 In reply to 37760.206 
I believe they use Hmod on the RockPaperShotgun server, and they're currently having to do some weird things with downgrading their clients since Hmod isn't being actively updated to the latest server version.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  patch     
37760.210 In reply to 37760.209 
Yeah, I saw that. There is an unofficial hMod doing the rounds, dunno if that supports the newer builds of Minecraft or not. There is also Bukkit (hMod's successor) that I mentioned, but they seem to be using the Black Mesa / Duke Nukem Forever method of development for it and haven't yet released anything.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.211 In reply to 37760.210 
I'm confused - since you still have to write plugins, what do bukkit/hmod actually do?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.212 In reply to 37760.211 
Provides an easy to use API primarily. It has events that you can listen for / bind to rather than having to mod Minecraft directly to insert code where you want it to have an effect.

The bit I was mostly interested in is the native MySQL support to make it work with Beehive's user authentication. The MySQL support also means you can store the server data such as items each player is carrying, active users etc. in the database, so it could be used to gather information for statistics and other random lovely things.

doohicky

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

37760.213 In reply to 37760.212 
Hmm, reading the news on the bukkit website, it's a bit unclear when it'll be released - they seem to be waiting for official blessing from Mojang and/or some licensing faffing.

However, there is apparently buildable source code available.
Hmmm. I guess some of the delay is because it looks like they may have decompiled the minecraft server in order to build it.

If anyone were brave enough to convert the alphabetized variable names into sensible things, it might even be that we could create our own customised server that could do whatever we want (within the game/client mechanics, anyway), including authenticating against a remote MySQL database.

Of course, having a proper API with Player and MySQL stuff all pre-done would be simpler, but with that not yet available, this does seem a possible tunnel to dig.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Has anyone experienced mass fire yet? I foolishly decided I wanted a lava fireplace and after carefully getting a bucket of stuff I plonked it in my brick built fireplace in my cool looking log cabin... only for the whole building to go up in flames minutes later, taking out most of the trees in a huge radius. Took me hours to put everything out.

Moral of the story, don't play with fire/lava.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  PNCOOL     
37760.215 In reply to 37760.214 
I burnt a forest down the other day, its still burning :$

GIVE ME MEAT! :@ msg:37418.1
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  PNCOOL     
37760.216 In reply to 37760.214 
I decided I didn't like leaves hanging about after I'd 'mined' the trunk so I set fire to them - burnt down a whole island full of trees and had to wander about putting out loads of logs

Jon
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Played this for the second time last night. First time I really really didn't get it and got fed up. Watched some of the Youtube videos and thought I'd give it another bash. I'm still not sold on it - I got a bit bored during the night time bit. What should I be doing?

I'll tell you what though, those monsters scare the fucking shit out of me. The noises are....haunting. One appeared at my lookout hole and I nearly dropped the laptop.

Incidentally, it's bit stuttery on the laptop but I dunno if that's because uptime was probably in the days (not counting hibernation).

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  141–160  161–180  181–200  201–220  …  461–477

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats