Teh ForumNorthern Meat - NOW 12th September 2009 (DATE CHANGE)

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

Message 36350.136 was deleted

To:  Mr (M00RL0CK)     
36350.137 In reply to 36350.136 

So how much are they paying you? ~£12.5k? (Tax free)

It's make or break for me at the moment PhD wise at Manchester. I officially finish my MPhil on the 18th and then need to write up, but there is seemingly a part funded studentship (or 2) available in the department, just means my supervisor needs to secure £22,000 from industry across 3 years, he's trying his best with a little bit of good news, but it's not been secured yet :(

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.138 In reply to 36350.136 
Ah, not too shabby. Contrary to popular belief, Birmingham is an excellent city and, being the Midlands, you can get nearly all of mainland UK within half a day.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Monsoir (PILOTDAN)     
36350.139 In reply to 36350.138 
the centre of it is a hole though innit. Made the mistake of being on broad street and uh, the chinatown-ish area of it on a Saturday a few weeks ago. Bleurgh. Next time I'm doing better research.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 36350.140 was deleted

Message 36350.141 was deleted

To:  milko     
36350.142 In reply to 36350.139 

Don't really do China Town apart from the odd meal. Dunno, really, Broad Street seems pretty standard from what I've seen of most other cities but it has some nice little places directly off it (Brindley Place for one). Bullring area is nice, though.

I find it difficult to comment because I don't really like any cities, but in my opinion, it seems pretty good compared to others.

Greg's right - I guess it's a mixed bag really. I go to the Bullring for shopping and Broad Street for the occasional Saturday night out.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.143 In reply to 36350.140 

It'll be part-funded by uni and topped up by industry, meaning it's fully funded to the standard ~£12,500/year. All fees paid like yours. So hopefully if it comes off it'll just be a standard fully funded PhD.

I'm in the lucky situation where I'm actually there at uni ready to start the PhD if the funding is secured whereas other supervisors will have to advertise the post, interview, etc since it's come up as spare cash at the last minute. Apparently the department are looking highly upon this, less paperwork for them I guess.

But £25ish/hour?! Jesus, we only get £14ish/hour I think for demonstrating, tutorials and seminars etc.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mouse      
36350.144 In reply to 36350.1 
I think I'm pretty much a Yes, say something to convince me.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
36350.145 In reply to 36350.132 
My standards are lower. After many years of working in multinational companies, I find that it helps to alleviate disappointment.

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.146 In reply to 36350.142 
Brindley Place is a big pile of shite filled with big piles of shite.

The Seventh Posture of Burton's translation of The Perfumed Garden is an unusual position not described in other classical sex manuals. The receiving partner lies on their side. The penetrating partner faces the receiver, straddling the receiver's lower leg, and lifts the receiver's upper leg on either side of the body onto the crook of penetrating partner's elbow or onto the shoulder. While some references describe this position as being "for acrobats and not to be taken seriously," others have found it very comfortable, especially during pregnancy.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER)     
36350.147 In reply to 36350.144 
Manthorp's got a beard at the moment.

Which of the following would you most prefer?
A: a puppy,
B: a pretty flower from your sweety, or
C: a large properly formatted data file?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.148 In reply to 36350.146 
You're wrong.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.149 In reply to 36350.148 

No, I'm not.

Although there is (was, didn't see her last time) a really cute lass that works in the Pizza Express. I like to flirt really badly with her :$

The Seventh Posture of Burton's translation of The Perfumed Garden is an unusual position not described in other classical sex manuals. The receiving partner lies on their side. The penetrating partner faces the receiver, straddling the receiver's lower leg, and lifts the receiver's upper leg on either side of the body onto the crook of penetrating partner's elbow or onto the shoulder. While some references describe this position as being "for acrobats and not to be taken seriously," others have found it very comfortable, especially during pregnancy.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.150 In reply to 36350.142 
I would say Broad Street is the worst city centre I've witnessed in all my days! Absolutely frighteningly cringingly terrible. It's like the touristy bit of London's west end except magnified and concentrated (and with less foreign tourists in it).

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mouse      
36350.151 In reply to 36350.147 
But will he snog me?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.152 In reply to 36350.151 
It has been rumoured that he'd snog a knothole so I'll guess you're on!

ep
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
36350.153 In reply to 36350.143 
The RC standard (and minimum, I believe) this year is 13,290 though, as Greg said. Nice bit of inflation there B-) I don't know about demonstrating, but Bath and Bristol are £23-£25/hr for maths tutorials at the least.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.154 In reply to 36350.151 
It's pretty much a requirement, we all line up.

Which of the following would you most prefer?
A: a puppy,
B: a pretty flower from your sweety, or
C: a large properly formatted data file?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

36350.155 In reply to 36350.149 
If your flirting is anything like that time in the whisky pub, it's a wonder you haven't died a doughy death. With extra cheese.

Kenny
The Wisdom of Amazon user reviews:

Kill Your Friends - John Niven
I was in one of the bands mentioned in this great book and we were at our most active in 1997.
Whipping Boy - Whipping Boy
We toured with Whipping Boy in the 90's and I thought they were very boring.
Neo Wave - Silver Sun
The greatest album ever made. This album is without doubt the greatest album of the 1990's, containing as it does the most uninhibited, most concise, most ear-bashingly beautiful tunes this side of hell.

[Guess the reviewer's band. Go on. Guess.]
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  81–100  101–120  121–140  141–160  …  241–252

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats