Codinghow much to charge (replicating a pixel-ad site)

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
I've been asked to do a project which is similar to www.milliondollarhomepage.com and www.contemporaryartpixels.com and other such sites.

So, would have basic user stuff and shopping cart, some scripting stuff for selecting pixels, basic stats, and the ability to run multiple sites from a single sourcecode.

All simple enough stuff, and I think I could probably get something done by end of march/april (working on it irregularly alongside other stuff that is).

But I've no idea how much would be a fair price to charge for it.

Any recommendations?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
34004.2 In reply to 34004.1 
BP old sausage, you are a wise old application.

Sx

(edited for the general bafflement of all)

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp     
34004.3 In reply to 34004.2 
Huh? (edited) :)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34004.4 In reply to 34004.1 

How long will it take you?
How much do you value your time?
How much do you think you can get away with?

Kenny
The Wisdom of IMDB Messageboards:
One Night At McCool's

There's one thing I don't understand: Why would Randy and Jewel, for some reason, have sex right at the beginning of the movie?

-- Um, like, are you kidding? Randy sees the golden opportunity (like finding plutonium by accident) and takes it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
34004.5 In reply to 34004.4 
I hate when people answer a question with 3 questions :@

The noises commonly associated with flatulence are caused by the vibration of the anal sphincter, and not by the buttocks. The sound varies depending on the tightness of the sphincter muscle and velocity of the gas being propelled, as well as other factors such as water and body fat. The auditory pitch (sound) of the flatulence outburst can also be affected by the anal embouchure.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
34004.6 In reply to 34004.5 
why?

----
some things never change

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
34004.7 In reply to 34004.4 
Depends on my mood when I work on it, and how often I work on it.
At the moment I'm nearly falling asleep, and it'd take me weeks at this rate to get something good.
However, when I'm awake and stuff I'm much better and could do it in a few days.
Except I've got two other active projects I'm working on, which this would be interleaved with, so it'd probably still take me a few weeks.

My time is more valuable than the average coder/developer, but I'm not even sure what that average is at the moment (can probably google it in a bit), and I'm not sure how to quantify my level of brilliance. :/

As for how much I coudl get away with... the client is another developer, very probably capable of doing this themselves, but busy with other things. They know plenty of other developers and I'd be surprised if I was the first or last they asked, so there could be some level of competition necessary.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
34004.8 In reply to 34004.6 
Hah, one doesn't annoy me at /all/ :C

The noises commonly associated with flatulence are caused by the vibration of the anal sphincter, and not by the buttocks. The sound varies depending on the tightness of the sphincter muscle and velocity of the gas being propelled, as well as other factors such as water and body fat. The auditory pitch (sound) of the flatulence outburst can also be affected by the anal embouchure.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34004.9 In reply to 34004.7 
isn't the million dollar homepage idea kind of old hat now?

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  milko     
34004.10 In reply to 34004.9 
What about a page with pictures of a million old hats?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34004.11 In reply to 34004.9 
Yeah, I was thinking that. But it is simple to do, so if someone wants to pay me to make one... *shrug*
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34004.12 In reply to 34004.9 
My local newspaper's website did one fairly recently, I found it hard to hide my apathy when they were trying to pitch it to me over the phone....

Which of the following would you most prefer?
A: a puppy,
B: a pretty flower from your sweety, or
C: a large properly formatted data file?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
34004.13 In reply to 34004.10 
Hot!

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34004.14 In reply to 34004.13 

1. Get a pictures of a million old hats
2. ????
3. Profit!

Man I'm so old skool these days.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34004.15 In reply to 34004.1 
As others have said, estimate how long it'll take you (but without being all arsey about how apathetic you suspect you're going to be over the course of the next few weeks, etc), and then pick an hourly rate out of the air. If it's just a sort of side-project and for someone you know who could do it themselves, your rate's probably only going to be about £50/hour, I'd guess.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

34004.16 In reply to 34004.7 
quote:
My time is more valuable than the average coder/developer

modest at all?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ben (BENLUMLEY)     
34004.17 In reply to 34004.16 
Yep, very modest.

I wrote a few paragraphs that would prove I'm an excellent developer, then decided it could all appear too big-headed and ditched it. :P
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–17

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats