CodingSilverlight 1.1 is going to work on Linux

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL

Microsoft are officially supporting the Novell-sponsored implementation of the Silverlight 1.1 runtime on Linux and BSD, which means it really is a viable RIA platform.

And, I can play with it on the thing I mentioned which upset Milko and Xen!

<geekgasm>

This is an interim sig.
The changing of this sig in no way implies that Peter Boughton is not a cunt.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
33126.2 In reply to 33126.1 
They had to really. Silverlight would never have been taken seriously by developers otherwise if it was Windows only as Flash (its direct competitor) works fine on several platforms. It's a similar reason as to why they've had to create Firefox plugins for it too.
---

There's 3 types of people. Those who back up their data, those who haven't lost any data yet, and those who really wish they had backed up their data when they had the chance.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
33126.3 In reply to 33126.2 
I pretty much assumed it was going to happen, but it's nice to have it confirmed and official-like.

There are two types of creationist: morons and liars.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

33126.4 In reply to 33126.1 

Moonlight sounds better than Silverlight too. Hooray.

Can you say something to allay my fears of Microsoft being responsible for creating something like this that will no doubt catch on? I find it hard to imagine it not being at least a little bit riddled with security flaws: is there anything in particular that makes it safe so I don't have to worry about Micro$0ft n00bs hax0ring my debian b0x0r? :-(

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
33126.5 In reply to 33126.2 

flash .. working fine on macs?

It does work, but on powerpc at least, its awfully slow!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  bob (BOBFARRELL)     
33126.6 In reply to 33126.4 
they'll make you wish you were using stable
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ben (BENLUMLEY)     
33126.7 In reply to 33126.5 
It's fine on new Macs. If you buy apple you're supposed to throw the old ones away when they make a new model.

milko
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  bob (BOBFARRELL)     
33126.8 In reply to 33126.4 

It's .NET based, and .NET already has a well-proven security model where assemblies (that's the compiled modules) from anywhere except the local hard disks have to request various permissions to access local resources like files, the registry, ActiveX components or anything. There are more vulnerabilities in most browsers' Javascript implementations than there are likely to be in Silverlight.

On top of that, given that the .NET Framework is fully documented and the various components are open-standard (which is how MONO exists in the first place), plus the fact that Silverlight is based on XAML which can be embedded in the web-page and read like Javascript or indexed by search engines, Silverlight is probably more open than Flash/Flex and Java.

If you like, I can blather on about how the fact that it's strongly-typed and compile-time optimized mean it's going to piss all over Flash for performance, or the very real possibility that they could integrate XNA with it and create an insanely good system for completely cross-platform gaming through the web...?

There are two types of creationist: morons and liars.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

33126.9 In reply to 33126.8 
http://community.netikatech.com/demos/silverlight/quicktour/

Rich - e - w - m
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–9

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats