CodingBP's skills are dying off

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
quote:
COMPUTER WORLD has named its top ten computer skills which are fast dying out.

The top ten are Cobol, non=relational DBMS, non-IP networks, cc:Mail, ColdFusion, C programming, Power Builder, Certified Netware Engineers, PC network administrators, and OS/2.

Deary me!
---

This signature is a stub. You can help Teh Forum by expanding it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Dave!!     
32571.2 In reply to 32571.1 

At least the other nine had a good innings.

Peter: come to the dark side. ASP.NET wants to be your friend.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32571.3 In reply to 32571.1 

I was just about to post 'bout that too :D

Also... why would PC network administrators be a dying breed :? As for non-IP networks, please spare me - they're dying anyway (mostly).

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Serg (NUKKLEAR)     
32571.4 In reply to 32571.3 
quote:
Computer World said that with the move to consolidate Windows servers, some see substantially less demand for PC network administrators.

Apparently. As for CF, they say:

quote:
Cold Fusion was hugely popular in the mid-1990s as the Web programming language of the future. It was killed off by Vole's Active Server Pages and .Net, as well as Java, Ruby on Rails, Python, PHP and other open-source languages.
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32571.5 In reply to 32571.1 
No they're not, it's just a shit journalist who doesn't know anything and doesn't bother to do even cursory research.

Afterall, if it were dying, Adobe wouldn't be releasing ColdFusion 8 this year, with a large number of significant improvements and integration with their other products (such as very powerful image processing code, using technology from Photoshop), and Tim Buntel wouldn't have mentioned that they are already starting to look at ColdFusion 9.

There's also a huge demand for CF developers in the UK at the moment - had I wanted to, I could have walked away from the CF conference on Friday with half a dozen job offers.

Meh, I could go on and on and on (and on), but I think Ben Forta points out how little credit the article deserves:
Although, and this should be telling to you, she probably does not know that ColdFusion 8 is due out this year. Why? Because we are conducting press briefings now, and are talking to all sorts of publications and media. ComputerWorld, however, has refused our invitations! It seems that they'd rather spew sensationalism then actually invest time into researching stories.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
32571.6 In reply to 32571.5 
Six vacancies is not a healthy job market.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
32571.7 In reply to 32571.6 
It is if you only speak to eight people.

I saw something somewhere (can't remember the URL) that showed demand for CF developers since January was increasing at twice the rate as demand for IT jobs in general.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32571.8 In reply to 32571.7 
It's still pretty niche, and I really can't see it gaining significantly on the big three. But while there's money to be made, you might as well enjoy yourself.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
32571.9 In reply to 32571.8 
It'll hopefully help that Adobe (unlike Macromedia) appear to understand the whole "promotion" thing, and are actually pushing it forwards, looking for fresh blood, etc.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32571.10 In reply to 32571.4 
PB, this is what you really need:

Mr Bunny will guide you.

Rich - e - w - m
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Rich     
32571.11 In reply to 32571.10 
ActiveX!?! :? You must think I'm some crazy masochist to suggest that. I'd rather eat custard with a fork.

Why would I want to write Java when I can get its advantages (cross-platform, optimising code, powerful libraries, etc), without the horrible syntax and over-strictness, simply by using CFML?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Rich     
32571.12 In reply to 32571.10 
quote:
Mr. Bunny's Guide to ActiveX begins with the basic building block of all computer software- the pixel. From here it digresses into a classic fantasy adventure story about a cute little talking bunny and a hapless everyman farmer/programmer on an amazing journey to the heart of component-based software. You will actually learn ActiveX by reading out loud to your children at bedtime!

quote:
There is simply no better way to learn Java than to have the pineal gland of an expert Java programmer surgically implanted in your brain. Sadly, most HMOs refuse to pay for this career saving procedure, deeming Java to be too experimental. At last there is an alternative treatment for those of us who cannot wait for sweeping health care reforms.

Mr. Bunnys Big Cup O Java is recommended by n out of ten doctors, where n is any integer you wish to make up to impress an astoundingly gullible public. The book begins with an overview of the book, and quickly expands into the book itself. Just look at the topics covered: *Mr. Bunnys rucksack *Farmer Jakes overalls *Java In short, MBBCOJ will teach you all you need to know for a successful career in todays rabbit development environments. "I sincerely hope this book increases the donor pool." --CE3

The Mr. Bunny series is supported, endorsed, and authored by Carlton Egremont III, Esquire, recluse, and all-around weirdo. It is the official place to go when you simply must go someplace official. The books in this series provide no information whatsoever.

Fucking ace! :'D
---

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32571.13 In reply to 32571.12 
D'oh. I should click on links. :$
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32571.14 In reply to 32571.12 
Funniest books ever written. :)

Rich - e - w - m
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

32571.15 In reply to 32571.13 
You're right about ActiveX, though.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–15

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats