CodingSSI in other languages

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
French, to be more precise.

I've started working on a French version of my Canadian politics website. I use SSI to automatically indicate when each page was last updated. As you can see by the one and only page i've done in French thus far, the date in the "Dernière mise à jour" bit in the footer is in English.

Is it possible to get that to appear in French? I would like it to read: Dernière mise à jour mardi, le 21 novembre 2006 21:56:04 HNE.

Is this possible? Or is it something I'd have to contact my hosting service about?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Jo (JELLS)     
31267.2 In reply to 31267.1 

not sure if you can change the months or not, i've never needed to, and a quick google reveals nothing.

i'd suggest changing the format of the time to numeric months, so like 21/11/2006, then language isn't such an issue.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ben (BENLUMLEY)     
31267.3 In reply to 31267.2 
Numeric months are the bane of my life! :@

Jo: Not sure, but Googling for terms such as locale and i18n should help.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
31267.4 In reply to 31267.3 
Why, and I'm sure I'm going to regret asking this, are numeric months the bane of your life?

Kenny
The Wisdom of YouTube comments:
Bright Eyes - When The President Talks To God
Not bad. I thought this song might be anti-God, but it seems more to be against the president, which is cool by me.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ)     
31267.5 In reply to 31267.4 
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.6 In reply to 31267.5 
Oh. Yeah, that's all a bit of a faff, although how much of a faff depends on what you're coding in.

Kenny
Not bad. I thought this song might be anti-God, but it seems more to be against the president, which is cool by me.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.7 In reply to 31267.6 
Yup.

CF does have locale settings and all, but having to type, for example, LSDateFormat instead of just DateFormat is a pain.
Although our problems are mostly concerned with going to/from the database, so it's possibly a JDBC/Ingres issue.

Eitherway, if the bloody US would just stop being so stupidly contrary all the problems would dissappear. :(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.8 In reply to 31267.7 
Except for the vast number of calendars in use throughout the rest of the world. If you think it's complicated having to worry about which order the year month and day go, wait until you have to worry about the multitude of non-Gregorian calendar systems out there.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.9 In reply to 31267.8 
(Not that I'm particularly wanting to discuss it, or say that you have to worry about it or anything. Just saying, like.)

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Ben (BENLUMLEY)     
31267.10 In reply to 31267.2 
I googled too before posting here (i'm not that lazy!).

How would i change the date format? The code i'm currently using is:

code:
<!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED"-->
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.11 In reply to 31267.10 
This might help:
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/ssi4.shtml

As might this:
http://bignosebird.com/sdocs/echo.shtml

:)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.12 In reply to 31267.11 

Ta!

Just before leaving for work, i found a site in French explaining how to use SSI, and they made no reference to how to get anything to appear in French, which leads me to believe it can't be done. The French (well, at least those in Quebec) are quite picky about things like that, so if there was a way to get it to appear in French, i'm certain they would have mentioned it.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.13 In reply to 31267.12 
There's probably some kind of server setting, if you're lucky, or you have to be running the French build of Apache (or whatever), which I suspect is more likely.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Weird...

I just tried adding a #config bit to the SSI for page last updated, and it made most of the footer disappear. Everything after "Dernière mise à jour" just vanished - no date, no copyright, no XMLgenerator tag.

I've removed the #config thing and it's back to normal but i don't quite understand why it made everything else vanish. This is what i used:

code:
<!--#config timefmt="%Y/%m/%d" %X -->
<!--#echo var="LAST_MODIFIED"-->
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.15 In reply to 31267.14 
It could be the %X at the end of the config statement - I don't know anything about the syntax, but it just looks wrong.

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.16 In reply to 31267.15 

:)

I'd not put the %X inside the quote marks - did that, tried again and it works properly!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

31267.17 In reply to 31267.16 

Yay!

Kenny
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–17

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats