CodingIE Operation Aborted

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  ALL
Anyone come across this type of error before?

MSIE 'Operation aborted' popup error message [10KB]

The page is loading at least partially (the background is being set by CSS), but before I can react, the above flicks up and clicking OK results in a standard "The page cannot be displayed" type error.

Running through the process in Firefox results in no problems - the page loads fine. The page being sent to actually being the same page as it was initially on: it's finding fault with a field and saying "fix field X" - if I ensure all fields have no problems, it works. If I change the problem field it still doesn't work.

So, logical thought is that the problem is being caused by the error validation output. Except I can't see how it could be; here's the diff...
HTML code:
<div class="curvy_all curvy_container">
	<div class="curvy_all curvy_top">&nbsp;</div>
	<div class="curvy_all curvy_left">
	<div class="curvy_all curvy_right"> 
			<h3>Please correct the following errors:</h3>
			<ul>

<li>Please enter an unexpired card expiry date.</li>

</ul>

</div>
	</div>
	<div class="curvy_all curvy_bottom">&nbsp;</div>
</div>

</td></tr> <tr><td valign="top"> &nbsp; </td></tr> <tr><td valign="top">

Nothing I can see there that should cause any problems.
(Not the ideal way of laying things out, but not much I can do about that :()

So I'm stumped. Anyone here have any suggestions?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Peter (BOUGHTONP)     
30246.2 In reply to 30246.1 
Have a link to it so we can see if it's not just your IE fucking up?

PM it to me if you don't want it publicly posted!

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  steve     
30246.3 In reply to 30246.2 
Nah, it's only on localhost at the moment.

Aha, but I think other people on the internal network can reach my machine, so I'll ask my co-worker to give it a try and see if it works for them. :D
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Have narrowed it down to a javascript file, which had only the following function in it:
javascript code:
function elem(ent){return document.getElementById(ent);}

And including that function as a regular script still causes the error.

Renaming the function works, except then I get the regular object expected when trying to use the function later. Renaming the function calls results in the same problem.

It's a function I've used thousands of times before, and it works fine before submitting the page, so I'm even more confused then I was before. :/

Hmmm, just manually replaced all the function calls with the whole document.getElementById thing and I /still/ get the error! :@
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

30246.5 In reply to 30246.4 
I'd guess (though my knowledge of such things approximates to zero) that there's something about your javascript that IE doesn't like, and it's eventually dying on the elem() calls, even if it's not that function that's the problem. Can you replace all your JS with skeleton functions which just return dummy values, see if that works, and then build it up from there? Try adding one function at a time, to narrow down where the bug is hiding?

www.oforpertainingto.me.uk

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Rowan     
30246.6 In reply to 30246.5 
Yeah, was just about to do something similar to that.

If I access my machine over the network I get errors about nulls instead of that message, but it doesn't help if I comment out the line reported with the null error, so obviously there's something earlier that's causing it.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Ah feck!

Eliminated the bug with nulls, and it works perfectly fine across the network now. Try it back on localhost, and it's doing the same damned thing. So I track it down and find precisely where the problem is, except I can't find what the problem is. I know it's with an AJAX call, and by using dummy calls and stuff, I can prove everything works individually. Put it all together and I get the bloody 'Operation aborted' again. :'(
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

30246.8 In reply to 30246.7 

This is when I like to delete everything and re-write it all.

HTH.

www.oforpertainingto.me.uk

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Rowan     
30246.9 In reply to 30246.8 
:((

I would love to be allowed to do that, but I don't think I can.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Message 30246.10 was deleted

To:  Mr (M00RL0CK)     
30246.11 In reply to 30246.10 
Yes, I am ravishingly handsome, but that doesn't help me make IE work properly.

But I fixed it now*. Needed to put the an initialisation call inside a setTimeout to ensure the entire page had completely loaded.

(*by which I mean my manager said 'maybe try this' and it then it started working)
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All    

1–11

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats