GeneralCracked my ball

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
2226.2419 In reply to 2226.2418 
That would be awesome.

Which of the following would you most prefer?
A: a puppy,
B: a pretty flower from your sweety, or
C: a large properly formatted data file?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william     
2226.2420 In reply to 2226.2416 
I am whittling a snail in horn and Tagua nut on an African Blackwood stand. Just got the snail's body to go. I'll post pix when it's finished.

But mostly I whittle multimedia installations with GreyHair now. We're in the process of filling a bus shelter near Ricard00's gaff with CGI mermaids.

"We all have flaws, and mine is being wicked."
James Thurber, The Thirteen Clocks 1951

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Mouse     
2226.2421 In reply to 2226.2417 
Everybody at the Meat will get splinters.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp      
2226.2422 In reply to 2226.2420 

Can you whittle me a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma?

I would prefer persimmon, on a rosewood plinth.

Also, my religious observances prohibit me from paying for materials or labour.

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
2226.2423 In reply to 2226.2422 
I have knocked up a maquette in sculptor's wax and posted it into your sense of the ineffable for approval and amendments.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.2424 In reply to 2226.2423 
Ew, that's not sculptor's wax!

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
Just sticking this thingumy from the crafts council here for people wot likes breaking balls. (or any other "crafty" stuff.)

It means something to Owen
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Gobfounded (YVE)     
2226.2426 In reply to 2226.2425 
Good one Yve. I went all political on their basket-woven arses:

quote:
Craft matters to me - but the Crafts Council took a philosophically and tactically indefensible decision years back when it chose to nail all its colours to the mast of a contemporary art-inspired model of avant gardism.

If the Crafts Council wishes to survive (and in so doing, support the craft pathfinders) it should look to the Japanese model of a balanced approach that enshrines and celebritises masters of traditional craft forms, whilst playing the avant garde against them.

It's not a particularly taxing concept: It's a spurious Coke Vs. Pepsi deathmatch, with the avant garde defended by the young and self-consciously trendy and the traditional by the older and crustier. It doesn't matter a damn who is higher in the ratings; what matters is that the Craft Council annexes both camps. Once it holds that position it doesn't have to defend the one against the other: it owns both.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.2427 In reply to 2226.2426 
You have so fucking owned the CC, they just gotta capitulate. Those fucking basket weavers and lino cutters won't know what hit 'em when you get the guns of the Battleship Potterykiln trained on their arses.

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.2428 In reply to 2226.2426 

I suspect there's an awful lot of traditionalists out there and all the imagery on their site doesn't seem to fit that mould very well. I'm probably more typical of the average crafty type they'd encounter if they managed to get comments from a good cross section of the population. In my case, I love making things with pointy sticks and stringy stuff and those things tend to be useful and even attractive. I'm happy to be crusty. Representative responses would even include people who *ahem* scrapbook but I wonder how sniffy they'd be about it if they had a flood of responses form people fond of paper and glue.

However many responses they do get, I know there's a small but significant flood from other knitters at Ravelry, some of them who do it or something related (spinning, dying, etc) for a living. Hopefully, they'll take on board that they really can't ignore all the people who aren't simply producing strange metal blobs or vases with beaks in the name of innovation, but who are simply plodding away at something they love and find fulfilling.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)     
2226.2429 In reply to 2226.2427 

>>> Mr B - I was well fresh when I wrote that; so much so that I'd actually forgotten about it completely. I don't disagree with my sentiments though. And I did like Battleship Potterykiln.

>>> Ms Yve, It's long irked me that the CC adopted the Arts Council model of focusing on the avant garde (from which I personally benefited, I have to declare). They did an effective job of raising the status and the incomes of a minority of makers, but pretty much sat by while a number of British craft traditions died of neglect. Like I said in my drunken post, the Japanese have proven that you can support both the avant garde and excellence in the traditional.

<edit> PS, Things made with pointy sticks and stringy stuff are generally known as 'bows and arrows'. </edit>

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Gobfounded (YVE)     
2226.2430 In reply to 2226.2425 
You know, in the current national situation, with national debt spiralling out of control and troops fighting an unwinnable war with unsatisfactory equipment, I can't think of a better thing for the government to spend money on than a quango to regulate wicker.

Happy now?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.2431 In reply to 2226.2429 
quote:
Things made with pointy sticks and stringy stuff are generally known as 'bows and arrows'.

You're onto me. How else do you think I rule over all the testosterone in this house?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  THERE IS NO GOD BUT (RENDLE)     
2226.2432 In reply to 2226.2430 
Maybe they're wanting to create a national handbasket to go to hell in.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Population of the EU is about 500 mil so we can still win in a fistfight when it comes down to it.

GIVE ME MEAT! :@ msg:37418.1
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  koswix     
2226.2434 In reply to 2226.2433 
And if we duplicate all of our posts we'll look even bigger.

bastard by name, bastard by nature

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Oh, FFS - let it die!!!

(no, don't)

"An ageing population with a pensions crisis is the inevitable destiny of a slutless society."
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.2436 In reply to 2226.1 
Graphitone thinks there might be a contender to the Cracked my ball throne. Tell him otherwise.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ANT_THOMAS     
2226.2437 In reply to 2226.2436 

Stop it - you're only adding to the problem... any new post is going to make it even harder to beat the 'ball.

You've even got me replying and adding to th... :|

(fail)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  graphitone     
2226.2438 In reply to 2226.2437 
Don't add to it, Graphitone; I never do.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  2361–2380  2381–2400  2401–2420  2421–2440  …  2561–2579

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats