GeneralCracked my ball

Press Ctrl+Enter to quickly submit your post
Quick Reply  

To:  Mike (QUIGABYTE)     
2226.1733 In reply to 2226.1732 

it's like if I said "Mike knows about Devon" and you'd chip in "and how"

kinda 'to the extreme' or 'to the max' - that kind of sentiment

so, "consumer whore, and how" = "consumer whore, to the max"

Jon - A yllyth-ta leverel henna arta mar plek yn Kernewek?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  JonCooper     
2226.1734 In reply to 2226.1733 

Hmm thanks. Doesn't make any sense really (considering the meaning of the words) but thanks anyway.

Never ever heard anyone say that in my life, Amy didn't have a clue what it was either. Perhaps it isn't popular in the midwest?

Did you know in 1964 34% of the male population of Scotland was born prior to the birth of Ophelia Turnbull-Archer?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  fixrman     
2226.1735 In reply to 2226.1730 
look here
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  william (WILLIAMA)     
2226.1736 In reply to 2226.1735 

Thanks so much for that! You know, my great grandfather was a sculptor - although many of his works and carvings were destroyed during WWII. There remains a work of his, a mirror frame of carved roses that is hanging in a museum somewhere in Southampton.

He did renovations of stone carvings at Longford Castle dating back to the 15th century, tombstone carving, restorations, and likenesses.

I hope to get there to see them in the near future.

"Whittlings" certainly characterises what you have here rather baldly. They are quite good.

Did you ever see such a messed up situation in your whole life, son?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1737 In reply to 2226.1734 
I have heard it here on the East Coast, but it is a rather dated expression. I like it though, as I am rather dated. <G>

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1738 In reply to 2226.1731 

Never mind. The version I uploaded for some reason doesn't want to show the video, just sound.

I hate you Windows Media Player.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1739 In reply to 2226.1737 

Ahh I see :) 

Mind you all I get to hear at the moment is the 'Yeeeee Haw' from cowboys! :P ...

One week until I move... one week until I move! Hurrah, I can get out of cowboy land :D 

Did you know in 1964 34% of the male population of Scotland was born prior to the birth of Ophelia Turnbull-Archer?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1740 In reply to 2226.1730 
jpg of the cracked ball of legend attached. It still hurts to look at it. For shots of some of my other whittlings, check out Dazza's forum gallery here

Is it because you think I'm too old?
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1741 In reply to 2226.1739 
quote:
'Yeeeee Haw' from cowboys

Why do grown men still feel the need to dress up like mythic figures? You don't see people wearing viking outfits.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  Manthorp      
2226.1742 In reply to 2226.1740 
I think I echo the sentiments of everyone here when I say that I never tire of looking at your balls.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  bohman75     
2226.1743 In reply to 2226.1742 
You spelt ravishing wrong.
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  bohman75     
2226.1744 In reply to 2226.1742 
Thank you very much. I find that most flattering and simultaneously, strangely arousing.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1745 In reply to 2226.1739 
I don't blame you. Where to?

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1746 In reply to 2226.1740 
You are a true artisan. Have you ever seen any of Thomas Holmyard's sculptures? (though you may well have never heard of him)

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1747 In reply to 2226.1746 
Thank you. No, I'm afraid I haven't heard of him. Is he American, English or from elsewhere? Can't find any google linkage.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1748 In reply to 2226.1747 

I couldn't either. He is English. Lived in Southampton, but the house they lived in was bombed out during WWII. He died in the 50s. My grandmother is 86 and in ill health, but is trying to get the pictures together of his works.

We supposedly have many pictures of some of his works, but it would be great to see them first hand.

I am not even sure to be honest that the museum who holds the mirror frame he carved actually knows Holmyard did it. Because he did a lot of restorations, he probably was not as well known as artists doing original works.

There were some who were bitter my grandmother came here in '47, so they were less than helpful with that kind of family history and communication.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1749 In reply to 2226.1748 
Get in touch with the museum. All civic museums are very used to getting enquiries of the 'my granny donated you a hairnet in 1927' sort, and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you any information they have.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1750 In reply to 2226.1749 
Geeze. Comparing his carvings/sculptings to a hairnet seems to be a bit insulting, and sounds like I'd be just blown off. I think his works are much more substantial than that. Besides, I don't think it was "donated" as much as "appropriated" or "found".

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

To:  ALL
(fail) 

<!-- begin sig...

sig

// -- end sig -->
0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

2226.1752 In reply to 2226.1750 
Oh, don't be so bloody oversensitive. It was a general comment about museums enquiries (I work in a large civic art gallery). We get enquiries all the time; my comment was meant to illustrate the scale, regularity and frequent mundanity of such enquiries, and precisely that no enquiry would ever be 'blown off'. All are dealt with professionally, even if some museums may take a few weeks to reply.

As to the status of its acquisition, a lot hangs by that. Only if it has been formally accessed (entered in the register of objects in the collections) will they be able to find you any information, unless you're very lucky.

First thing to do is to contact the Keeper of Collections, Registrar or Curator in an email, giving all the information you can.

And STOP being such a drama queen.

0/0
 Reply   Quote More 

Reply to All  

1–20  …  1681–1700  1701–1720  1721–1740  1741–1760  …  2561–2579

Rate my interest:

Adjust text size : Smaller 10 Larger

Beehive Forum 1.5.2 |  FAQ |  Docs |  Support |  Donate! ©2002 - 2024 Project Beehive Forum

Forum Stats