Hair

To: ALL1 of 16
I found hairs on the palms of my hands earlier.

I haven't been bitten by a werewolf - not that I can recall anyway, and I feel that's the sort of thing one remembers.

There's a fairly high chance they were were formerly attached to my cheeks, what with having shaved a few minutes earlier and none of the hairs being rooted, though it's not something I've noticed before, and was a little odd.

*shrug*

So anyway, I have a question: from whence do you remove (or retain, or add) hair, why (or why not), and how?

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 2 of 16
I have a beard because apparently the hair on top of my head fell through it at some point, male pattern baldness is going on up there. So: I shave my head to grade 0. I attempt to cultivate the beard. It is annoyingly salted with white hairs here and there - if they were vaguely evenly distributed or symmetrical it would be fine, but alas. I suppose I could just-for-men it but I sorta snip out the odd one here and there instead.

Sometimes there are rogue hairs in nostrils or ears. That's about it, I reckon. My eyebrows remain more or less disciplined, I suppose that's a mercy.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 16
My head. I use an electric trimmer (hair not hedge) to run over the lot about once a month leaving it about 15-20mm long*. My chin. I use the same trimmer to keep my beard around 8mm and a razor to keep it in a roughly neat shape. My eyebrows. Same time as hair so that I do not look like Chewbacca. Various other old man head places. Razor/scissors whatever, whenever. Everything else is entirely private. I am not Jaowon.

*except where signs of male-pattern baldness render this redundant.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 4 of 16
Under MrsD.'s tutelage, I let my hair grow to cover up an encroaching bald spot on the back of my head just above my neck, into a greasy, stringy, homeless Steve Bannon-alike. Prior to this, it (with the beard) more resembled Robert E. Lee, but without his combover.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 16
I wet shave my face once a week.  I'd shave daily if I could but I have terribly sensitive skin, so once a week has to do.  I think about getting it lasered a lot, but I worry that one day I'd want an old man beard and be unable to grow one.  I can't grow a proper beard now mind.

I used to have quite a severe monobrow, which I plucked often.  With time, regrowth has slowed down a lot, so just when I spot a stray hair or two, I'll pluck them.

I keep my pubes natural, just because I prefer everything below the neck to be natural on my partners.  I have, on more than one occasion, been accused of trimming my armpit hair.  I've never done such a thing, though I would consider bleaching the area.

I go to the barber every 4-6 weeks, give or take.  I still have what I'd call a full head of hair.  I find a good barber to be hard to find, but thankfully there is one a mere 5 minute walk away from my current flat.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 6 of 16
Head and face with hair clippers. No guard, #0. I'm very bald on top these days.
Usually once a week on a Sunday night. Unless I'm doing something at some point that I would like to look tidier for then I adjust my schedule.
Occasional double length white/grey eyebrow hairs get plucked if they annoy me.
To: ALL7 of 16
Thankfully my beard is a solitary hair that gets plucked the second it's big enough. Menopause had helped me to win the battle to stop my eyebrows from meeting in the middle and mating and being dark haired has been in my favour because I've been able to get rid of most of my leg hair with a Philips Lumea IPL device before my hips got too stiff to cope with shaving several times a week, in summer.
To: ALL8 of 16
My face hair needs shaving multiple times a week to stay presentable/whatever, and I've been thinking I should switch from rotary to linear shaver, since the former never seems very effective - even after cleaning and charging, I have to keep going over the same spots, and frequently use the trimmer bit instead. I have vaguely wondered about laser removal, but the idea of firing lasers at my face bothers me, even if it's theoretically safe.

My head hair is still there, though there's probably less than there used to be. Some bits are going grey but that doesn't bother me.

My eyebrows do bother me - there's a variety of short, medium, and excessively long ones - and they've recently descided they like to either do handstands or curl down into my eyelashes. Not been sure whether to pluck or trim them since I don't want to end up with not having any at all.

My nose and ear hairs are only occasionally annoying, and they're usually easy enough to pluck out.

I remember the name Jaowon but not the reputation... searching reveals msg:5318.31 and/or msg:9206.6 ?

I just looked at laser removal and Wikipedia says it can sometimes become permanent after multiple sessions, whilst NHS says it needs redoing every 4 weeks, as well as wearing SPF30 in all weather, and a bunch of potential side effects. Meh.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 16
The thing I kind of miss about pre-beard times was I’d got a DE razor and shaving with that was quite pleasant. Brush up a lather, work it in, shave methodically and with care, done. The blades are ludicrously cheap, the handles barely more than that and the soap’s cheap as well. It does require a bit more brain presence than an electric though and there’s an initial learning curve not to keep slicing yourself up.

I still use the razor but just tidying neck hair and the beard line isn’t quite the same satisfaction.
To: milko 10 of 16
I miss many things, especially the motivation for doing it all.

Peter, I picked Jaowon because he over-discussed an intimate topic. It seemed appropriate at that point in the discussion. Maybe not 100% salient.
To: milko 11 of 16
My brain is frequently elsewhere, so I'd probably end up with chunks of face missing if I tried that. :/
To: william (WILLIAMA) 12 of 16
:D That thread's hilarious.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 13 of 16
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 14 of 16
well, that's arguably part of it. You have to make your brain not be elsewhere for a bit, which can be pleasant.

I'm not good at meditating (I've not really tried to be) but I have noticed that tasks involving full focus get a similar result sometimes.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 15 of 16
OMG I'd forgotten that :D. It made me laugh... again.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 16 of 16
Well, it's not often clicking a link physically hurts like that. Jesus wept what was wrong with young me