A very happy Christmas

To: ALL1 of 13
To all on teh forum, near and far!
To: william (WILLIAMA) 2 of 13
I'm getting new eyes for Christmas.

*lenses
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 3 of 13
internal or external?

Last time I had my eyes tested and she got to the bit about 'anything you want to ask about?' I mentioned that sometimes when I'm reading there's a very slightly fuzzy patch over the text. She said she couldn't see anything wrong (other than that I'm long-sighted and very slightly short-sighted too). She does a 'Hmm' thing and says, as though it doesn't matter at all, 'I suppose it could be the glaucoma, or the cataracts.'

I was unaware of either, so it was a bit of a surprise. Apparently the glaucoma is very slight and I probably won't ever have any problems, but the cataracts will have to be done in 10 years or so.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 4 of 13
mine are cataracts. First sprouted (or noticed by optometrist) ~2.5 years ago, referred for surgery last June. I became aware of habitually polishing my glasses when they were already spotless. It really showed up on my last eye exam when different test lenses did not produce the expected improvement. By all accounts the procedure is relatively quick and painless. I'll report back tomorrow ...
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 5 of 13
Good luck to you. I know a few people who had them done. As you said, relatively easy.

To: ALL6 of 13
Merry Christmas and best in the new year citizen's of TEH!
To: Linn (INDYLS) 7 of 13
One's in. Interesting cataract mill. Nurse told me they do 30-35 procedures per day. I can already see more clearly out of the new lens, needed to remove the eyeglass lens tiny screw. Still blurry overall, but supposed to clear up, and I'll need a new eyeglass prescription after they do the other in a couple of weeks.
To: All 8 of 13
Belated Happy Christmas and hope you all have a wonderful New Year!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 13
How was the procedure?

My father had them done 25 years ago. He said he was sitting in the surgery chatting to the staff, he asked 'When are you going to start?' and they said, 'We've finished.' He couldn't remember having the anaesthetic or anything about the procedure.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 10 of 13
After a lot of waiting around, some prep work with iv's, eyedrops and so forth, they wheeled me in, dosed me with a mild sedative, shone bright lights in my face for a few minutes, then it was over except for some coaching and I went home on public transit. Vision out of the new lens was blurry at first but that cleared up pretty quickly, and now I can see more clearly out of the eye than I can ever remember. Very little pain or discomfort. Bright lights a bit more annoying, but tolerable. Now I'm on a multi-eyedrop regime for a few weeks.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 13
My gran was told not to vacuum for a few weeks after. Hope that won't be a problem for you :)
To: Linn (INDYLS) 12 of 13
I've been taking it easy -ish. Really enjoying the improved vision, yesterday we went to Allen Gardens, colours were amazing. I hadn't known cataracts impart a colour cast as well as blur.
To: Linn (INDYLS) 13 of 13
I'm the vacuum-wrangler, seeings how Mrs.D has arthritis, and our vacuum is a beast. A hoover, as it happens. Our apartment hasn't been hoovered for a few weeks, not because I couldn't do it, but because I'm lazy AF, and it's been a great excuse not to. Ok, I did hoover once.

Anyhoo, Santa did the other eye yesterday, and now I'm perched with my 7" tablet, a pair of drugstore reading glasses, and better vision than I've had in quite a while. The eye is a bit red, like I've been smoking up. Who would notice?