Twin Peaks Season 3 here we go again

To: ALL1 of 15
*finally* acquired this from our local library. Not really looking for (seeings how I forgot about it), but there it was. Watched the first ~30-minutes last night, including a lengthy intro montage of previous season clips (this was a bit confusing).

MrsD. found it 'slow paced' whereas my first impression is that it is packed wall-to-wall with Lynchian weirdness. I don't mind geriatric KM playing a ruthless thug with a hairpiece. We'll see how far we get, it is a massive series.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 2 of 15
We thoroughly enjoyed it. It has some extraordinary scenes and a deeply weird story arc. I'll say no more because the denouement is "interesting".
To: william (WILLIAMA) 3 of 15
Also, does he have a hairpiece? I realise I may be missing out on common knowledge as it were, but I believe him when he says it was done with combing and hair colour. My own hair has diminished over the last 15 years or more. At 67 going on something or other, I don't have the same tonsure as when I first joined teh in whenever it was (I really don't know, but it was a while back).
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 4 of 15
Stick with it!
To: william (WILLIAMA) 5 of 15
Pretty sure Thug Coop sports a prosthetic high forehead and a mullet wig. The effect not unlike Frankenstein(!) HE SHORE IS EVIL. Also maybe brownface, but we won't go there. We finished the first episode last night, which got fairly intense, so will take a breather before soldiering on. It strikes me that in the 2nd season (and for a lot his prior oeuvre), Lynch alternated between 'normal' [-ish] and 'weird' scenes; thus far, this has been all weird all the time, so the weirdness becomes a bit normalized, predictable, and (possibly) less impactful. Anyway I'm enjoying it all.

One confusing thing is that, at the end of the 1st episode, the credits listed casts for 'Part 1' and 'Part 2' but I didn't notice the episode had more than one part, unless it's a distinction between the red curtain scenes, and the town (etc) scenes, in which case there were several of both.
EDITED: 3 Nov 2023 20:07 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 6 of 15
I'm sure you're right - hairwise.

What struck me about the revival is the stunning feeling of continuity. This is 100% a continuation of the original series, even though it's wildly weirder. 

I also have rather more respect for KM after his roles in this.

It seems that Lynch ran out of money when he was filming Eraserhead and work on it stopped for a number of years. There's a scene (allegedly) where Jack Nance (the MC) goes through a door and when he emerges on the other side it's 4 years later, but undetectable. There's some of that here and I'm not sure why.
To: ALL7 of 15
Slow pacing is deffo problematic, it's as if Lynch is getting even with the studio for cutting the silly stuff from the theatrical release of FWWM, by shovelling it back in here. And now we see the studio had a point, a very good one.

Whatever, the monkeyshines of intellectually-challenged Andy and Lucy wear thin, as do the glum and glassy-eyed Coop zombie, and Jacoby's tedious radio rant (MrsD. insisted we fast forward through that).

Fucking hell.

(we're on ep 5)
EDITED: 6 Nov 2023 15:39 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 8 of 15
I kinda feel like the slow/annoying parts might be important. You gotta eat your vegetables! But, I often feel like this about film/music/art and it might just be some ridiculous puritanical hangup with no basis in reality I don’t know. 
To: milko 9 of 15
Possibly I'm either too much of a Lynch fan or too into the original series, but although I was aware of the slower passages, I didn't mind them. 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 10 of 15
Some of it feels like filler though.
To: ALL11 of 15
Returned to library without watching any more. Might circle back to it some day.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 12 of 15
Sad, I suppose. What the heck - if you didn't like it there's no point in trying to persuade you otherwise. 
Or vice versa.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 13 of 15
I probably would have sat through it. In a stupor. Mrs.D had other plans.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 14 of 15
You got to episode 5? I can't remember exactly, but I think it was after 5 or 6 that Lynch wound the weirdness dial a couple of notches higher. I may need to watch it again now.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 15 of 15
Oh, it was all kinds of weird. But without a discernable point.
EDITED: 21 Nov 2023 13:25 by DSMITHHFX