Unlit cylists

To: ALL1 of 8
Anyone else seeing an increase in delivery cyclists with no lights at night, or is it just me/here?

Has been bugging me for a while, but seems like it's getting worse... or maybe it's because I wasn't seeing them at all before... :S

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 2 of 8
I'm rarely out at night, but there's a shit ton of these dudes on ebikes tear assing up and down the sidewalks around here.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 8
Not just you, they're all over the place here. Kids on choppers and various other stripped down bikes with no lighting at all has been happening for years. Looks like they're all getting jobs now.

Old fart on an e-bike with forks like a Harley appeared in my rear-view mirror today. Traffic slowed at a roundabout, so he undertakes me, sorry filters past, meaning that I now have to allow him 1.5 metres or else travel at his peddling speed of 10 mph. The difference is that as soon as an opportunity to pass him (with a suitable clearance) arises, his motor cuts in and his speed goes up to around 25 mph, so I can't. He did exactly the same twice more before my turn-off. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a car driver as well and probably drives a car every bit as selfishly as he rides his bike. I also bet that he isn't as concerned about other cyclists' safety as I was.

Edit: just checked and I see that the power-assist must turn off at 15.5 mph by law in the UK. All I can say is that this "cyclist" must have acquired his motor from "some other" source.
EDITED: 22 Oct 2023 18:09 by WILLIAMA
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 4 of 8
Yes, it's insanity. 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 5 of 8
There was a story in the paper about them clogging up the GO Trains here with their massive bikes and backpacks, because they can't afford to live downtown. That's mostly in Brampton, though we occasionally see them on the subways too.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 6 of 8
There's never really been kids on bikes around here (that I've noticed), and nor have I encountered ebike arseholes - though there has been a recent increase of arseholes in cars who drive everywhere at 25 - irrespective of whether the limit is 20, 30, or 40. :@
EDITED: 24 Oct 2023 22:19 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 8
Indeed. They are probably the same people who trundle down single lane country roads at 38 mph irrespective of whether the speed limit is 40, 50, or 60 mph. It's the speed they feel comfortable at which you can usually confirm when the limit changes to 20 or 30 mph for a built up area and they sail through at a steady 38 mph. But yes, 25 mph is becoming popular around here too. I find that it's a speed often chosen by motorists who force me to slow down by pulling out from junctions as though I were invisible.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 8
People, eh? Who'd live with them if there was an alternative?