Three Strikes

To: ALL4 of 9
Found a great source for dead-cheep pcs ... https://freegeektoronto.org

charity -- they do some kind of computer recycling & educating stuff

Heading over there tomorrow to check out some bright prospects
To: ALL5 of 9
Bought a shiny old Acer Aspire AX3810 for < Can.$30 & got it up and running.

After unsuccessfully faffing around with vnc and smb (client firewall shite?), I got nfs and http servers up, the bare minimum for this thing to work as a drop-in replacement.

It's pre-loaded with Linux Mint, an Ubuntu clone/reskin of dubious value (the reskin, that is). I was sorely tempted to nuke it for a clean install but Mister Lazy, hypervisor of my id interceded. It configures pretty much exactly like Ubuntu with 99.99% of everything pulled from Ubuntu repositories. Dumb, useless, but it does work. I guess not subject to Ubuntu's lame attempts at monetization, so that's something.

Slow AF but with 8G of RAM I expect it will do.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 6 of 9
Quad core, 2.33GHz. I'd have given my right arm for that back when all I had was a 386SX. 
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 7 of 9
Mint's value is as a way to wean people off Ubuntu/Windows - and as a stepping stone Cinnamon is ok, but I wouldn't run it on a server.

Wonder if there's any places like FreeGeek around here...

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 9
Free Geek is awesome! I might volunteer there, and spread my brand of brazen ignorance among the underclasses. Apart from it being a 90-minute commute.

It turns out I probably would have spent less time on configuring a clean install as I have on a 'few, minor tweaks' to mint just so I can get it to serve vnc. Which isn't fait accompli by any means.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 9 of 9
The gpu is even worse, it only does the desktop in software rendering, which looks like shit. Not a deal-breaker for a headless server though.

The box is real pretty, and real small, deffo the smallest desktop I've owned.
EDITED: 22 Oct 2023 14:35 by DSMITHHFX