Domain stuff

To: ALL1 of 12
I'm transferring the tehforum.co.uk domain between registrars.

Transfers are expected to complete "within 5 days", and the domain expires on Friday. :/

On the off-chance that something screws up, the IP address is 178.79.137.101 (add it as a comment to your /etc/hosts file).

Anyway, hopefully it'll all just work...

*crosses fingers and pushes big red button*

To: ALL2 of 12
Ok, so ... I think it's done? Running "whois tehforum.co.uk" shows the new registrar, new expiry date, and lists the new nameservers.

I did have to manually re-enter the host records.

Testing email... looks like the message is blocked by Gmail - not sent to Spam, but actually blocked. Dunno if that's new or if Google have been being arseholes for a while. Might just be because they hate me. Fixing it to go to a non-Gmail account the message arrives fine, so I guess the MX record is ok.

If necessary I can figure out the SPF/whatever records to add, but I'm getting tired so that can wait until tomorrow.

EDITED: 17 Sep 2023 20:38 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 12
Hello!
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 4 of 12
These things generally go a lot faster than what they say to cover their asses in case it doesn't.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 5 of 12
Yeah, but the old records still had LordPaul as the registrant. I did change the email address, but was still a bit paranoid it might somehow get stuck in limbo until I could contact LP to convince Nominet to authorise it, but then it would have expired and made things more complicated.

As it was, I'm not sure what (if any) validation was performed - no secret code matching, no email to say "hey, do you agree to move domain X between registrar Y and Z" - only setting the registrar-specific IPS tag; if someone with the same registrar had put in a transfer request at the same time, how would it have known the right one...

*shrug* Guess I should just be happy it worked.

To: Dan (HERMAND) 6 of 12
Howdi!
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 12
Do we* owe you any money?

*Richer forumites than I.
To: Some call me... (PSYCHO_GEEZER) 8 of 12
Meh, it was only $9 or so - though that was part of the reason for moving; 123-reg wanted £14.40 a year.

Maybe next year I'll do a multi-year renewal and hand round the begging bowl then. :)

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 12
Don't be shy about asking. Most of us aren't impecunious kiddies any more. I've ended up "covering the difference" on a site I visit/admin and people are usually willing to help if they think about it.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 10 of 12
It's probably sensible to setup a crowdfunding donation thing which supports either recurring or occasional payments, and can keep track of totals and stuff.

Though that would also be adding another thing which could go wrong, and I presently have enough already gone wrong things I need to focus on resolving for the time being.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 12
Well, just shout if you need us to fund anything, I'm certainly happy to chip in!
To: Dave!! 12 of 12
What he said. This place is great when it's exploding with posts, but it's more important that it's still here and still around.