I miss you guys

To: Dan (HERMAND) 111 of 126
Aside from that, I suppose there's arguably been mini-meats here and there - I've had the pleasure of Kenny's company a few times lately and I think I saw a facebook update showing erm, two people from here, in Manchester recently? Oof my poor memory. But a mass attendance event has not happened in a good while.
To: milko 112 of 126
Yes, very true, I met Serg for dinner a couple of years back in London too. Oh, thinking about it, there was a York meet too - that was after London I think
EDITED: 23 Apr 16:14 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 113 of 126
From a quick search I count at least five meats in the past ten years...

2024-04-03 msg:43024.1 Manchester Mini Meat
2020-01-20 msg:42105.1 Leeds mini-meat, Saturday 20ndsth Jan
2017-06-24 msg:41942.1 June Meat
2014-12-20 msg:41295.1 Saturday 20th December
2014-07-19 msg:41092.1 Teh Northern Meat - Summer 2014

None of those combine "London" and "well-attended", but I have photographic evidence of three that do, in Sep 2013, Sep 2010 and Dec 2008.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 114 of 126
Oh I'm very out of touch then! I think that Northern Meat one was the last one I attended
EDITED: 24 Apr 08:20 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 115 of 126
That was also probably the last one that had more than four people at. :(

We need a new big meat... one to celebrate reaching a quarter of a century, which we actually did last year if the dates in msg:34805.35 are correct.

To: ALL116 of 126
where's Fozza. He was always good at forcing people to do fun stuff, some kind of sales magic skill.
To: ALL117 of 126
Last person I've seen from here is Mouse when he drove by where I was living and I happened to be doing some gardening in the front. These days we live relatively local to each other.
To: Linn (INDYLS) 118 of 126
I miss you all. This place was really special.

As William said, my mental health has been in a slow decline for a long time. Nothing new, still just the anxiety, panic and resultant agoraphobia. A couple of years back, though, my mum died and that sent it all off a cliff. Had a very rough couple of years. I'm levelling out again now though and that's *good*.

I'm still doing the same old stuff - chatting online, playing games, watching and reading stuff.

I think of the people from here frequently. You all had a huge, formative, impact on me and mean more to me than I can express. It was an amazing place to 'grow up' online, we were all incredibly lucky to have experienced it.

It also kinda ruined me for the modern web. Everything is so *disappointing* in comparison.

I do seek out places which capture some of those old internet vibes. I messed around with Gemini for a bit and I'm on Mastodon (and sporadically active - let's be friends if you're over there!). I've avoided the Facebooks and the Twitters and whatnot.

Spending most of my time when I'm not in voice chats watching/reading lefty political stuff and wondering whether, in the upcoming election, I'm going to not bother voting or cast a pointless vote for the Greens.

(hug)

To: Dan (HERMAND) 119 of 126
Quote: 
I love how many people clearly poke their head in fairly often - just on the off chance the web has reverted 20 years.

Lovely way to put it. That's exactly how it feels  :') 
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 120 of 126
I shall try to catch up with you on Mastadon although I become increasingly poor at managing complexity. I set up a Mastadon account a while back just for this reason.  Meanwhile, don't be a complete stranger here. There are a handful of things associated with this site that have changed my life. You're there in the mix. 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 121 of 126
Yeah, I'm going to try making logging in here part of my habits again.

And please do get in touch on Mastodon!

There's complexity and there's faff. Mastodon, much as I love a lot about it, does involve a fair bit of faff. 
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 122 of 126
So many hugs to you Xen - i was so happy to see you had posted! I don't know what else to say except i hope you are more than ok and will post something again.

I just read through all the posts and I love that so may of you came back to reply. Back when, logging into TEH everyday to see what you all had to say that day was a part of my daily routine.

I know we can never go back, but its awesome that so many think we shared something pretty special.
EDITED: 9 May 22:19 by INDYLS
To: Linn (INDYLS) 123 of 126
I think the knowledge that we can never go back often stopped me from logging in when I thought of the place.

But that's okay, it can be whatever it is now!
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 124 of 126
Yeah, it'll never regain the popularity it had in the 2000s, but it is good that it's still going and it's nice to see names from the past popping in here and there. Hello by the way :)
To: ALL125 of 126
I dunno if I'm happy or sad reading the posts above. Kind of feels like we all feel very similarly about modern internet, and modern communications.

Like many, I spent most of my day with Teh open - I remember some threads were basically realtime
To: Dave!! Dan (HERMAND) 126 of 126
Hello! Nice to see you :)

And yeah, you nailed it there, Dan. I remember I'd make a post, refresh the thread list and have like three more things to answer. We had *discussions* here in a way that I've never found elsewhere. Chat apps come close but the asynchronicity of forums allowed for a bit of consideration. And unlike something like Twitter or Facebook it didn't feel like it was there for the whole world to see and rip apart. We could explore ideas safely.
EDITED: 10 May 14:27 by X3N0PH0N