Lovers of Linux

To: ALL1 of 20
...might appreciate this.

Clearing crap out of the attic I came across an ancient and tiny digital camera: a BenQ digital camera 1300. It has a USB1.1 port and wasn't installed by Windows 11 or 10, so I searched for drivers. Found some at various sites, but Windows denied that they belonged to the device. The little panel on the camera said it had 10 photos on it, so, curiosity in full gear, I wacked an XP install onto VMWare (since the latest driver was for XP) but XP was having none of it either. Bloody annoying since the .inf files seemed to match the Class and Vendor IDs in device manager. Anyway, after faffing around for a couple of hours, I was about to give up when I thought, 'I wonder if...' and I plugged it into one of my Rasbian boxes. Bosh! Automounted as a media device with photos straight away. Result, a little batch of photos of No1 son 20 years ago when he was an 11 year old all proud with his new karate black belt. Brilliant.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 2 of 20
I hear it's the year of Linux on the desktop.

Well, I say 'hear' but strictly speaking that's not correct - something to do with the sound card drivers, I think.
To: koswix 3 of 20
ooh, you're a scamp!
To: william (WILLIAMA) 4 of 20
While trying to convert a ppc mac back from linux to OSX yesterday, I checked the hdd mfgs site for master-slave pin jumper config and there was a notice the Seagate model needed a firmware update. It transpired that the updater (which has to be installed via Windows) actually reboots into tinycore linux, with grub bootloader!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 5 of 20
Blimey. On the drive itself? And what happens after the update; is it left there? 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 6 of 20
Also, blimey, master/slave jumpers! Did you need WFWG or would 95 do?
To: william (WILLIAMA) 7 of 20
No, it's an exe you download. I guess it installs a virtual disc on spare hdd space, repoints the mbr at it or something along those lines?

https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/kb/firmware-update-utility-instructions-and-faq-004559en/
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 8 of 20
So, presumably, it deletes the install partition when it's done its upgrade. Otherwise it's a wonderful vector for some sort of attack. Or maybe not. Those were innocent times.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 9 of 20
ooh, and singing the praises of Linux, I managed to fill my root drive by accident today*, and only realised when VNC stopped working. Spent nearly 3 hours finding out. My fault but...

*instead of the usb drives that I meant to fill
To: william (WILLIAMA) 10 of 20
Never mind linux, I am getting very cross with the Apple installers that are pinned to the hardware model, and furthermore become unbootable if you perchance to mount the iso to have a look before burning a dvd. I guess they were terrified of clones, even though that was Windows preferred path to world domination.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 11 of 20
Meaning you were running as root? Since regular users are supposed to be prevented from being able to fill it...
EDITED: 29 Aug 2022 11:42 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 12 of 20
Hangs head in shame. Yes.

In my defence, almost EVERY online tutorial, guide, instruction, manual, and query-reply prefaces almost EVERY linux command with sudo. 

I know it's a feeble defence.

To: ALL13 of 20
To continue this pointless and unappreciated saga, it turns out the ppc supports hdd cable select ... one down. Also, if I reformat the drives to Apple Partition Format (or some such), it might have a snowball's chance in hell of recognizing them. I have an OS 9.2 installer that does boot, presumably from there I would be able to also install OSX (which installers currently boot into a kernel panic). Onward.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 14 of 20
Ah yes. Kernel panic, in the library, with a revolver. I remember seeing kernel panic a lot a few years ago when I was recompiling to keep up with daily releases of SUSE. I'm not altogether sure I remember why I was doing that, but there was probably a really stupid reason.

Anyway, you're saying you aim to install 9.2 first and then upgrade to OSX? If it's a hardware incompatibility, what's the odds it will just panic at that stage?
EDITED: 30 Aug 2022 16:00 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 15 of 20
Fairly high, but nothing to lose by trying it.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 16 of 20
Absolutely.

Have you seen any of Louis Rossman's stuff on Youtube? I mean his video's of Apple repairs are fun in a geeky, wish-I-could-do-that, kind of way, but his rants against dirty little proprietory tricks and pro right-to-repair are interesting.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 17 of 20
Whelp, after doing that the OSX installer DVD booted right up without complaint, and is installing as we speak. Fingers crossed  :-O

Dang. Interestingly the installer booted from the kernel panic dvd, then died partway through. After that one time, it's been kp every try. The os9.02 installer I had on hand was producing a click-o-death, so now I'm dl a 9.2.2 'universal drag-and-drop' installer iso from here https://www.macintoshrepository.org, presumably [/hopefully] a tad more compatible with this mofo beast  :-{)
EDITED: 2 Sep 2022 16:27 by DSMITHHFX
To: william (WILLIAMA) 18 of 20
No, haven't seen it. I hate watching videos for tech information, text + pictures please. I once spent some few hours trying to make a virtualized hackintosh (for lack of suitable hardware) but no joy.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 19 of 20
He's not exactly offering training information, just showing repairs in progress, sometimes using a microscope for filming and chatting through what he's doing. He says as much about Apple design, strengths and weaknesses as anything. He also demonstrates how many of the repairs are relatively easy for a skilled technician, and bemoans the fact that Apple will not attempt the repairs while at the same time working to put him out of business. They've even taken legal action against him to stop him obtaining parts.

Anyhoo, the point is that just as they have strategies that stop, or at least greatly inconvenience you, when you are recommissioning your Power PCs, so they also have strategies to stop you repairing your own property.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 20 of 20
This PPC has been recommissioned for the landfill.