Sully (2016) TWR

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 2 of 15
Odd film, really. I've no doubt that Sullenberger was a skilful pilot whose actions saved all his passengers, but the attempt to blame him for pilot error was essentially invented for the movie. That's an example of the main problem. Apart from the shit script, directing and editing, it's packed with obviously invented material to boost the drama which manages to make it feel like something awful from the Discovery Channel. Somebody, probably Clint Eastwood, said 'That would make a great Movie' and too many people listened.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 3 of 15
Doesn't compare at all well with the fictional Flight (which was weak and problematic on many levels). If only Sully had been a drunk...

(TBF, on the charisma scale, Hanks is .001 and Washington is 11)
EDITED: 29 Sep 2019 16:07 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 4 of 15
Yeah, Hanks is an odd actor. I've liked him in a few things' but felt Meh! at more. Obviously he was terrible in Forrest Gump.
EDITED: 29 Sep 2019 17:18 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 5 of 15
He was fantastic in The Ladykillers. That might be the only good role I've seen him in.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 6 of 15
Haven't seen that, although I have seen the 1955 version with Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers.

I thought he was pretty good in Cloud Atlas. Oh, and Toy Story (various).

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 7 of 15
Doesn't compare at all well with the fictional Flight (which was weak and problematic on many levels). If only Sully had been a drunk...

(TBF, on the charisma scale, Hanks is .001 and Washington is 11)

The problem is that now, a worrying number of people seem to think that real-life Sully was drunk during the real-life flight, and that was the only reason he managed to ditch the aircraft successfully (in real-life). It's one those those things that People Who Are Wrong About Everything (taxi drivers, for example, or that bloke in the pub - the one with a good plan for getting out of speeding tickets) think.

To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 8 of 15
"that bloke in the pub - the one with a good plan for getting out of speeding tickets `

Do you know a lot of these fellers?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 15
Everyone knows them. When they start a conversation their sentences usually begin "apparently". When they join a conversation their sentences usually begin "actually".
To: william (WILLIAMA) 10 of 15
I'm an infrequent frequenter of pubs, bars and such like, so I don't meet these people.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 15
Actually, there's at least one on this forum.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 12 of 15
Apparently.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 13 of 15
I don't know them exactly, but most pubs have at least one (and amusingly if there's more than one, they may hate each other).
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 14 of 15
What's the good plan for getting out of speeding tickets? Asking for a friend.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 15 of 15
Usually some kind of convoluted "Freemen of the Land"/"Legal Name" bollocks. Feel free to do some reading, but don't blame me if you disappear down a rabbit hole. Spoiler: it won't get you off your speeding ticket, it will more likely get you locked up for contempt of court.