Interworx

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 3 of 9
I'm with Liquid Web, but it sounds like all hosting services that use cPanel will see price increases.

Guess I'll be looking into Interworx.
To: Stunt Engraver (DGL) 4 of 9
Well, for a backup work staging site we use godaddy hosting which comes with cpanel, and there's been no increase (we just renewed).

OK, having just googled it I guess we're good for a couple of years but it looks like godaddy will be impacted. They are probably trying to work out some kind of volume discount, failing that looking at an alternative.

Edit: Ooh, got 'em by the short hairs -- "Once installed, cPanel & WHM cannot be easily removed. cPanel & WHM FAQ states that the best way to uninstall cPanel & WHM is by reformatting the server."  :-O https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPanel
EDITED: 9 Sep 2019 19:03 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 5 of 9
Liquid Web won't see an increase until Jan, 1, 2020.

I'm hoping they'll work out a bulk licensing arrangement, but it looks like they're going to offer a choice:

1) Stay with cPanel w/price increase.

2) Switch to Interworx.

Not sure how a change to Interworx would take place, given the reformatting of the server info you provided.

To: Stunt Engraver (DGL) 6 of 9
They may be able to run Interworx and Cpanel side-by-side on the same server(s), or run new servers with Interworx and migrate customer accounts. Interworx looks way cheaper, especially with the pending price increase. Dunno if that will continue with non Liquid Web hosting, since LW bought them out. Cpanel got bought by an investment company last year, no doubt looking to monetize the acquisition. It would be nice if an open source option was developed.
To: Stunt Engraver (DGL) 7 of 9

> On June 27th, 2019 cPanel announced a significant change to their pricing structure.

And on 5th July 2019 cPanel amended those changes based on feedback received.

The prices on cPanel's update blog post are lower than the ones Liquid Web are quoting, despite Liquid Web's blog post having only been posted in the past fortnight.

The Liquid Web blog entry / price list also fails to mention the cPanel Solo tier - on offer for $15/month - this package was available prior to the price changes and the price of it has not increased.

In short: The price of a single user VPS account cPanel license is not changing. Given you have a single account, you should not currently be paying more than $15/month for your cPanel license.

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 8 of 9
Quote: 
Cpanel got bought by an investment company last year, no doubt looking to monetize the acquisition.

I didn't know they had been acquired.

That explains a lot.

A lot of that going on in the engraving industry.

Companies being acquired/merged, then the main people quit or get axed, because their opinions/attempts at guidance are no longer valued.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 9
Quote: 

In short: The price of a single user VPS account cPanel license is not changing. Given you have a single account, you should not currently be paying more than $15/month for your cPanel license.

I'm a single user paying $55 a month, including cPanel.

Guess I'll wait to see what happens.

Sounds like Liquid Web is creating a fear factor, for whatever reason.

EDITED: 9 Sep 2019 22:21 by DGL