Get JS var from PHP

To: ALL1 of 8
Can someone help me figure out how to do this?  I've been able to do this before but can't seem to figure it out now!

Here is the page that does what I want.  I am going to put a submit button on this page so when you have selected the path you want, click submit and it would pass the var from js to a page I haven't created yet.

I have also posted the page code for all the pages involved here:

Thanks very much!

Index.html
search_dir.php
browser.js
ajax.js
EDITED: 20 Dec 2018 01:02 by SHIELDSIT
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 8
Your use of words suggests you need to read up on the HTTP request/response process and get a better understanding of what you're trying to do - because you're already doing the same thing you're asking with that code.

Start at the beginning and describe the general problem you're trying to solve / what you're trying to achieve - because if this isn't a learning exercise there's probably already something that does what you want (and it'll be better than that code), but if it is a learning exercise, I'm not just going to hand you a block of code that doesn't help you understand.

EDITED: 20 Dec 2018 15:11 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 8
I think I'm having a hard time thinking of how to select the folder I want and carry that to another page. 

I have a page that I use to merge .mp3 files and I've been editing the code with the folder I want to run the code on.  I know the code I posted here will give me what I need, but I don't know what variable is holding the final result and if I found it I don't know how to carry that result to a different page than the ones I posted here.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 4 of 8
Why not use a more full-featured widget, like RichFilemanager or Webix File Manager (on GitHub), which should provide hooks for when you've selected the relevant file/directories.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 8
I don't have a preference, but I only need to see directories/sub dirs.  I'll look at the ones you posted.  I've been messing with the one I have for about two hours now and I can't get it for the life of me!
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 6 of 8
Those look nice but they do way more than I need.  I just need a list of dirs and subdirs for a specified path and when I drill down and click select that's the value I get to use in another page.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 8
I was able to find some code that I could figure out and got this working!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 8 of 8
> Those look nice but they do way more than I need.

They're full-featured file managers, which will include the feature of easy integration, and should still be stylable to a simple interface.