Maybe wireless mouse medo

To: ALL1 of 105
I think I want a wireless mouse. For my laptop. Mainly so I can shove it in my bag wherever I go. But I'm not sure if I'm too used to using a wired mouse to find a wireless mouse responsive enough.

I bought a Logitech MX Master 2S (and sent it back) which has lots of raving reviews and plenty of websites saying it was the best mouse ever. But it's a bit shit. Well, not shit, just not worth the money. Yes, a bit shit. But comfy shit. Like a warm comfy shit that doesn't quite do what you want it do to...

Anyway. Yes it is nice to hold and feels good in my hand (NJ) but....
It has a clever scroll wheel (spins freely when it's spun quickly) but it makes distracting clunking noises when the mechanism activates, is too noisy for general scrolling, hard to press as a middle button without scrolling, and wobbles when moving the mouse side to side.

It has the worst side buttons on any mouse I've ever used. Horrible stupid things. The back button is just about usable if I bend my thumb in some strange position, but the forward button is so difficult to find.

But mostly I found the latency an issue. It's just not as responsive as any wired mouse I've ever used any found it difficult to place the pointer where I wanted as times (admittedly a million times better than a MS wireless mouse I had about 13 years ago).

So I'm wondering if I should just stick to wired mouses or if there are any decent wireless alternatives.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 2 of 105
I've never found the latency a big noticeable thing on the rare occasion I use a wireless mouse but I try not to because having another thing to recharge pisses me off.
To: milko 3 of 105
Yes, true, there is the battery issue too, and I'd probably forget to charge it. I'm not sure which is easier, replaceable AAs or rechargeable.

The latency wasn't terrible, nearly ok, but slightly too distracting when moving the mouse quickly I think.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 4 of 105
I really like the first Microsoft arc mouse. So much so that when my first died, I sought out a remaindered one. Battery-powered, which is both a good and a bad thing.  Folds really neatly, too. 

I'm left-handed, so always have to buy a left-handed or ambidextrous mouse, which does limit my options a bit.
To: Manthorp 5 of 105
The first one? Is there a second one? Is it not as good? I think I need to try some more wireless mouses to see if I it was mouse specific or wirelessness in general.

Also, does your opinion count as a left hander? ;)
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 6 of 105
Don't cheek your elders ;-)  (manthorp) Yes, the first one was comme ca:

And the current one is:

I think there might have even been an intermediate model, too.  I can't vouch for the current one, one way or the other.  As far as I can tell it doesn't fold like the original one does, which is one of the features I like about it; it folds small, but it's a full-sized mouse when open.
To: ALL7 of 105
There is a clone of the original MS Arc Mouse available, but at that price I'd be a bit dubious about the quality: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nifogo-Wireless-Foldable-Receiver-Portable/dp/B078J8QWDT/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539089743&sr=8-5&keywords=folding+wireless+mouse
To: Manthorp 8 of 105
Aye there's another iteration of it where it had a line of (obvious) sensors instead of a scroll wheel, and made an engineered clicky noise as you scrolled with it.

I too am similarly afflicted with left handedness and am favouring a wired roccat mouse at home and some generic Logitech one at work. The arc mouse was the best ambidextrous one I've used though.
To: Manthorp 9 of 105
Haha, you deserve it just for being left handed. Same as my daughter :D

Cool, I'll have a look at that. Don't like the look of the current one. Still a little unsure about a wireless mouse though, even though it's fine with my wireless trackball.
EDITED: 9 Oct 2018 17:54 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 10 of 105
I have a logitech m310 at work fitted to an ubuntu 18.04 tower. It's not rechargeable, takes an aa battery. I think the alky one in it now has been in use for ~coupla months (I always turn off the mouse evenings and weekends). Lag's not really an issue, it seems as responsive as any wired mouse I've used.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 105
I am tempted to try one of the Logitech Lightspeed mice. Apparently they can achieve 1ms latency, which I'm guessing it low enough to not notice.
To: ALL12 of 105
Buy blimey, the 703 and 903 are expensive. I think I might just stick with wires. Or buy one of every wireless mouse Amazon sells and see if any one of them is good enough
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 13 of 105
Is it for gaming or just everyday stuff?
To: Manthorp 14 of 105
I'm also left-handed for most things, but since I started using PC's (original iMacs actually) in a shared (school) environment, I threw in the towel early and use the mouse right-handed. I'd say I've become almost ambidextrous after ~28-years, except I stick to left handed for writing/drawing/slicing/scissoring/sawing and... well, um never mind  :-$. I do use my wacom pen-tablet left-handed, sometimes just to relieve CTS-like symptoms in my right wrist.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 15 of 105
Mainly desktop stuff, but the occasional gaming too. The mouse I sent back annoyed me too much on the desktop to even try gaming.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 16 of 105
The only mice I really, really hate are Apple's. Haven't really tried anything out of ordinary generic laser mouse wired/not.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 17 of 105
I haven't tried any of Apple's mouses. I've got a MX518 for my desktop which is perfectly fine (probably good) (apart from occasional sticky left button and wheel). And some cheapy wired ones in work which are fine (except for no side buttons :'( )
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 18 of 105
Apple's keyboards and mice are notoriously sucky, and deservedly so.
To: ALL19 of 105
My wireless mouse cost 6 quid in Aldi. One AA battery lasts about 4 months. I've never noticed any lag with any mouse, wireless or otherwise.
EDITED: 10 Oct 2018 16:42 by KOSWIX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 20 of 105
Someone in work uses an Apple keyboard with an old Unix system. Don't like the look of it. I'd like to take my Model M into work but I think it would be a bit noisy.