Leeds mini-meat, Saturday 20ndsth Jan

To: ALL1 of 18
Wingnut & Gaynor are coming down to Leeds for a gig on Sunday 21st Jan and have suggested a mini-meat on Saturday 20th afternoon.  I thought we could meat in the Belgrave Music Hall for beer and pizza.  Anyone fancy joining us?
EDITED: 11 Jan 2018 17:41 by WINGNUTKJ
To: Manthorp 2 of 18
Psst - Saturday's the 20th...
Message 42105.3 was deleted
To: ALL4 of 18
Like hot butter, I have clarified
To: Manthorp 5 of 18
And I have edited the thread title. And no one else has responded  :-Y
To: Manthorp 6 of 18
Seemed pretty clear to start with: folks coming to Leeds for a gig on the 21st doesn't rule 'em out coming down a day early for sumpin else. Kenny, WTF?
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 7 of 18
Regretfully, I shall be in an hotel in Bournemouth providing evidence for a private detective for a writer's do and slap-up feed.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 8 of 18
it was originally subject-titled with a message saying it was on Saturday 21st. I had to stare for a little while to work out the problem.

Well, aside from the problem that I can't attend, which is the main problem.
To: milko 9 of 18
I'm dsylecix.
To: Manthorp 10 of 18
I could actually make this one. :| srsly.

I'm so serious, I actually used a contraction of seriously. :C
To: graphitone 11 of 18
Do it! It would be good to meat you.
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 12 of 18
I'll check the calendar closer to the time, we rarely plan more than a few days ahead 'cos of the kids. That said I believe the littlest nipper has a party on the Sunday, but the Saturday's ok at the moment.

What gig are you going to see?
To: graphitone 13 of 18
It's Myrkur, doing a set of funereal folk songs on archaic Scandinavian traditional instruments.
To: ALL14 of 18
obv
To: milko 15 of 18
I'm looking forward to getting my boogie on.

(For those few who don't know:

Myrkur appeared a few years ago, releasing an EP of Black Metal songs on respected extreme metal label Relapse. The identity of the creator was not revealed, but the promo blurb described the project emerging as from the Scandinavian darkness, and waffled on about isolation, savagery, etc, etc. It was good enough (for an obscure Black Metal EP) to get some buzz about it, and there was much rejoicing in the bits of the internet and music press which concern themselves with Black Metal.

Then it turned out that it was actually all done by a GIRL! A pretty girl! A pretty Danish girl! Who lived in New York! A pretty Danish girl who lived in New York and sang in an achingly twee indie/dream-pop band, but who liked to listen to a bit of black metal in her spare time and decided to have a go at it, and roped some Black Metal chums in to help out.
There was no Scandinavian darkness! It was FALSE METAL!

Somewhat predictably, there were howls of outrage and anguish in the bits of the internet and music press which concern themselves with that kind of thing. Turns out that (some) Black Metal nerds can be just as entitled, misguided, misogynistic and generally arseholey as (some of) the other nerds who get outraged about stuff, and the usual Twitterwhumph ensued.

It doesn't seem to have done her any harm - since then, she's played at a number of suitably metal festivals, released two well-received studio albums and an acoustic live album recorded in a mausoleum in Oslo which is very lovely, and released a load of videos of her wearing Scandinavian jumpers, standing in Scandinavian woodland, singing Scandinavian folk songs on Scandinavian folk instruments. Just a pretty Danish girl, in the woods with her nyckelharpa. Singing songs. Looking pretty.

It was on seeing one of these videos that Gaynor decided she'd join me at the gig.)
EDITED: 12 Jan 2018 19:55 by WINGNUTKJ
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 16 of 18
Is she even Black?
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 17 of 18
Jeez, thanks Kenny. I was thinking I'd be adding to my KPop collection* and now I've gone and bought a Black Metal CD. Sheesh!

*(True story.)
To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 18 of 18
I like the looks of the viogitar. Will she be thrashing one at the gig?
EDITED: 13 Jan 2018 15:49 by DSMITHHFX