Star Trek Collectables

To: ALL1 of 11
My son's birthday is in January and I know he has a small collection of these little Star Trek models. They don't shake my world, but it's what he likes. So I saw this https://forbiddenplanet.com/236933-star-trek-discovery-figure-collection-magazine-1-uss-shenzhou-ncc-1227/#product-description

But what I want to know is what am I actually getting if I pre-order this for him? The ad is vaguely worded. I think I am getting ONE copy of the FIRST edition in a series of models with accompanying magazine. This looks to be USS Shenzhou. Any Trekky Collectable collectors able to shed light?

Personally, my spider being-ripped-off senses are twitching. Why is USS Discovery No 2? Will people look at this and be fooled into thinking they get the whole series for that price? Is 'hand-painted' supposed to be a good thing? I assumed it was because they didn't expect to sell enough to tool-up for automated painting. Either that or these things are always hand-painted anyway. Do I want to commit him (or me) to spending  ££££s for the set?
EDITED: 9 Dec 2017 17:55 by WILLIAMA
To: william (WILLIAMA) 2 of 11
Looks like you're only 'committed' to buying the one.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 3 of 11
Commitment comes in many ways and some of them are more pressing then simply signing up to a subscription.

Honestly, what worries me more is that (having seen a few) they aren't worth what they cost. They're not as fantastically well made as the ads suggest. That said - he seems to like them and I suppose I should put my mean curmudgeonly nature to one side.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 4 of 11
Is this the only thing in the world he likes?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 11
I believe so.

To: william (WILLIAMA) 6 of 11
Checked second-hand shops?
To: william (WILLIAMA) 7 of 11
He seems to like cats as well.

Find out which series/captain is his favourite, and in which aspect(s) is his interest strongest - the universe/setting, the technology, the characters, the story, etc?

There are plenty of more practical Trekkie-themed items available - for example stackable Enterprise coasters, a Star Trek cookbook, a biography of his favourite character, Star Trek themed Monopoly, and if he really does like cats...

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 11
He does like cats.

Come to think of it, he likes Battlestar Galactica (both series). Maybe something from one of those.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 9 of 11
Not sure if he'd care, but those new models are at a different scale to the older ones so might look odd as part of the same collection.

Also: How fecking much?!? 8-O
To: koswix 10 of 11
Well, yes. That's something I've been wondering. A shitty little lump of badly cast iron with a 10p plastic stand, marginally better than drops out of a Christmas cracker, costs nearly £35. Then there's the Battlestar Galactica stuff. A Plastic construction kit of the kind I used to make as a kid now costs £20 to £30 unless you get the slightly larger USian one at £77+

I just thought that as Discovery is new and all that it might be fun.

For the cost of a full magazine subscription I could get him a ticket to Toronto and a tour of the studios where it's made - Hmm. Mr. Smith could put him up, perhaps.
To: william (WILLIAMA) 11 of 11
It's a lovely time of year to visit...