Teh VRum

To: ALL1 of 10
Anyone else in Teh have a VR headset?  Would be good to chat about games - what works, what doesn't, what's coming up ect ect.
To: Manthorp 2 of 10
I'm once again tempted by the current Oculus Rift price cut, but again holding off just about. I'm not really gaming/computing enough to make use of it and my house is a bit full already.
To: Manthorp 3 of 10
VR is reckoned to be a bust due to [lack of] take-up.

3D-printed, rasPi-powered rockets to Mars are where it's at, baybee (Ant, how's that coming).
To: ALL4 of 10
I really like the room-size VR of the Vive - the smartest games work within the space you set up at the get-go, which offers a very immersive experience and doesn't require any of the versions of locomotion that have been implemented, from silly arm-swinging and marching on the spot to point and click teleportation.

There's a definite risk that, as a home entertainment platform, VR will be still-born: but it doesn't bother me too much - I bought my Vive primarily as a production platform for art faggvry (dyswidt?), second-hand but as-new.
To: Manthorp 5 of 10
I have PlayStation VR. Only have a few games for it - most require sitting down to play which is ideal as I don't have space.

Eve: Valkyrie is a fun space shooter. Multiplayer only but the fact you feel like you're in a cockpit is amazing.

Star Trek: Bridge crew is actually quite relaxing for a game where your ship can be blown up any second. Best in multiplayer being able to gesture while talking to friends makes you feel you're in the same room in a way.

Battlezone was fun but very difficult so not played in a while.

Windlands can be nausea inducing but definitely worth trying out. Haven't actually picked this one up yet.

Overall I can see it fading without further development but liking it so far. Can't wait to start racing cars using it. :)
To: Voltane 6 of 10
My Vive favourites are: 

John Wick Chronicles - short, but beautifully constructed & uses the room scale VR very well: you're ducking & diving all the time - quite a workout

Tilt Brush - 3d painting/sculpting app

A Chair in a Room - Greenwater - a Southern states scare-em-up with a dark, dark atmosphere and a couple of really chilling moments

Trials on Tatooine - a snippet of Star Wars gameplay by Lucasarts which demonstrates how much fun it's going to be if they get round to releasing a full game

Nature Treks VR - a one-man labour of love.  A plotless walking sim in 8 idyllic environments.
To: Manthorp 7 of 10
I'd love stuff like that Nature one. Places to go and just relax.
Even a "game" of exploring an island without any danger could be quite nice in vr.

Played a game like John Wick on the Vive before, definitely sounds like a good movie tie-in (do you get bonuses for double-taps?).

They were showing the Star Wars one last year at a convention but we didn't realise until sometime t was too late to book a slot. The extra level in Battlefront was cool but they need to do a full X-Wing game.
To: Voltane 8 of 10
Yeah, Nature Trek is all of that. Maybe Sony will pick it up - it seems to have a lot of passionate fans on Oculus & Vive.

The John Wick Chronicles uses the room-sized VR to perfection - the first level is set on a window washers hoist with a bit of space into a car park, bound by vaguely logical odds and sods. Admittedly the flight case full of guns & grenades is a bit gratuitous, but there wouldn't be a lot of game without them.  And yes, you can watch the John Wick 2 trailer on your vast hotel room TV before the assassins start shooting out your windows.

The Star Wars is ludicrously short, but ludicrously entertaining. I believe that Batman: Arkham VR is too, on pretty much the same cosplay gratification level: but there's something in my setup crashes it (and in a litany of other people's setups, too), so I've never got far enough into it to get the best of it.

So You can play Star trek: Bridge Commander (or whatever it's called) solo can you? I'd assumed that it was multiplayer only.
EDITED: 22 Jul 2017 11:12 by MANTHORP
To: Manthorp 9 of 10
I stupidly sold my DK2 after not using it for over 2 months after getting fed up with Elite Dangerous. I got back into it after my mate lent me his Oculus for a few weeks, now I really miss it. I was tempted by the £399 pack just released but I purchased a GTX 1080 ti instead.

Some great experiences on it though. Here are just a few:
Robo recall
BlazeRush
Chronus
and of course
Elite Dangerous!

To: Manthorp 10 of 10
Star Trek can be played solo and a small group. You can switch between roles if the AI is too dumb. But definitely better with others.

I liked Batman VR but wouldn't play it more than once.