Rage (MM Fury Road -alike) Steam sale

To: ALL12 of 58
Installed it (17G, 4-hour dl for me) and took it for a quick spin at 1920x1080 res, textures low. It ran pretty smooth though I did get a low memory warning at one point and it exhibited the texture flashing which seems related to aggressive culling. Can't say it was that bothersome. The scenery is pretty good but also kind of cartoonish like that western-themed shooter I tried out last year and since deleted and otherwise forgot. The motion is a tad unreal, and the story thus far hackneyed. I turned the sound down too low to hear much of anything except some inane dialogue by my driver and guide. I got a gun, and a mission then I quit.
To: ALL13 of 58
Played a few more minutes. It went back to the beginning so I started it up and went and watched tv while it repeated the by now tedious opening cut scenes (no way to skip those apparently). Then, armed with a pistol and an atv I went off on the mission. So far no serious technical glitches despite two repeats of the out of memory warning (which I just clicked through). The graphics and action are remarkably similar to Call of Juarez, though I would put graphics a notch better here. The gunfights are relatively easy even when facing three opponents (I guess I'm on the default 'Normal' difficulty setting). The dudes who rush you with knives and clubs are trickier, and one got me in the end. The Mad Max comparison is holding up fairly well as the opponents are all mohawk-sporting maniacs and bandits in a dusty canyon.
To: ALL14 of 58
Re: steam sale generally; there were good savings to be made in the VR collection. I bought Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes, Pierhead Arcade , Kodon & VR photo viewer. I have already created an uncanny simulacrum of my front room, viewable with the HTC Vive in my front room...
To: Manthorp 15 of 58
Thus reigniting the debate: are we just a computer simulation?
To: Manthorp 16 of 58
Does the VR front room also contain a Manthorp avatar, Vive strapped to his head, viewing another Manthorp analog in his VR front room?

I'm envisaging some weird Throb inspired virtual sexual shenanigans that could take place, and I'm also having trouble getting rid of that image from my mind. :/

To: graphitone 17 of 58
An infinite regression of Throbs, each abusing the mesaThrob below.  It's a lovely image.
To: Manthorp 18 of 58
You need to do this to your Vive:

https://i.imgur.com/RFOZnOt.gifv
To: ALL19 of 58
I've not bought a single thing this sale - I just think of my backlog and decide meh. THATS never happened before. Maybe I really am Old  :-&   
To: koswix 20 of 58
That's brilliant.  I might have to!
To: Linn (INDYLS) 21 of 58
I have to delete games that I will never play to get space for new ones. That hurts.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 22 of 58
 As does paying full price for a game that I had to have, but never found time for, and now its 75% off. :(
To: ALL23 of 58
I'm working my way through the campaign and have acquired a bunch of guns (pistol, shotgun, ak47, sniper rifle) and ammo (including grenades which I haven't tried yet, though plenty have been tossed at me). And now I'm in some mad maxian -ish frontier town running errands that involve finding and (crudely) interacting with different characters. My next challenge is to enter into a dune buggy race so I can win new buggy-mounted weapons, which I'd rather just skip the stupid race (the buggy is pretty hard to control) and get the weapons (or not) but whatever.

The combat so far is very arcade :-/ I do think the graphics are pretty cool though and some of the characters are fun. There's a DLC expansion pack also on sale, but I probably won't get it.
EDITED: 5 Jul 2017 15:06 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL24 of 58
So the vehicle races and especially minigun combat is actually the best part of the game so far. Vehicle physics are ace, and combat is a lot more open world than the arcade shooting gallery stuff.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 25 of 58
I bought it in the end, for the princely sum of 2 brick. I'm looking forward to the racing bit - I've only done the first two missions and ridden a quad bike. How much time did it take to get to the races?

I do like the graphics, when they're static. Moving around generates a lot of the texture pop we mentioned before. I'm using the vanilla version though. I'll have some time tonight to try and get it patched up (using the link Milko suggested) to see if that improves things.
EDITED: 6 Jul 2017 17:05 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 26 of 58
I'd say 2 or 3 hours to get the races after you start the game, maybe less.

You get a basic buggy as the reward for completing a mission which would be like in chapter 4 or 5 I think. Then you do a couple more things to get the buggy fixed up with parts (this part is actually a bit hard, with lots of bandits shooting at you and a maze to find the parts in), then you go to such and so town to get medical supplies (or just supplies). In this town you have to go talk to a couple characters then you are directed to the racing folks. After you win a couple of the 'beginners luck' races you earn enough to buy vehicle weapons (which are surprisingly cheap) and away you go.

The texture popping only happens to me when I turn quickly so I think it's a texture and/or model-culling thing. It actually doesn't bother me in the least, now that I'm used to it.

I still get an out-of-memory warning every time I load a new map, but I just click through it and doesn't seem to affect game play.
To: graphitone 27 of 58
Was intrigued by this game, and the price. It's £7.49 now, though :(
To: ALL28 of 58
well the game is certainly beginning to show its age and id pedigree. There is a consistent escalation of monsters and weapons within linear, scripted map scenarios. Gotta say the maps are gorgeous, even if the monsters are mostly meh after having played Metro 2033, Dead Island and L4D (most intense combat in this is vs. firearms-wielding humans). Frustrating you have to complete the entire map successfully or you're kicked back out to the beginning of it, and you can't save mid-map. I'm on my 5-6th go at the defibrillator upgrade map, and it take most of an hour to get near the end only to die  :-(( .
To: ALL29 of 58
Phew!  :-O~~~ Finally made it all the way through on my second try last night. On your way out these poison-spewing green fuckers show up and they're real harsh. Two hits and you're done. Instead of standing back and trying to gun them down from a safe distance, which there is none, you have to charge right at 'em and blast them 4 or 5 times point blank with the shotgun, mostly in the head. So anyway, great map. I didn't actually mind all the replays. Well, I might if I had to face any more.
EDITED: 14 Jul 2017 14:45 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL30 of 58
So I'm on the next to last level with pulse-cannon equipped vehicles in a big-ass canyon, and it's making my pc hard crash. May have to dial down the graphics to get through this one.  :-(
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 31 of 58
I'm slowly getting through it - just been kicked out of the Wellspring town and off to fight more bad guys.

I'm not finding it too hard (though the big ass mutant in the first dead city level took a few attempts), and even though it's on rails, the gameplay's pretty fun.

How long have you been playing it to get to the nearly end?