Rage (MM Fury Road -alike) Steam sale

To: ALL1 of 58
Can$3.24 (75% off)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9200/RAGE/

This id product looks sufficiently badass, and it runs on xp too!

FUGM  (dance)
To: ALL2 of 58
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 3 of 58
I've been on the fence with this one for ages. There's something about Id shooters that I'm not sure I like, they've got a 'weight' to them in the way the player moves, hefts weapons etc. It feels a little clunky. The most recent one I played was Wolfenstein New Order and while a polished product, I got bored with the fire at something 'til you run out of ammo, run away, reload, fire at the same something 'til you run out of ammo schtick. If I shoot something in the head, I expect it to act like it's been shot in the head, not to carry on moving toward me getting angry. Then again, that's idiosyncratic of this type of FPS and always has been, so maybe I'm not being fair. I played through Dishonored again recently and /really/ enjoyed that - totally different pace of game and lots of replay value.

I read that Rage had huge graphical glitches, with some terrible pop-in textures - have you bought/played it yet and if so, has that been fixed?

EDITED: 23 Jun 2017 18:03 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 4 of 58
Haven't installed it yet. Hope you're wrong about the textures. The environments and vehicle stuff look awesome in the video (but then, they would). My pc appears to have a pretty beefy spec for it too, but we'll see about that. Oh yeah, and I wouldn't bet 10-bucks on it (regular price) but on sale it's worth a go.
EDITED: 23 Jun 2017 16:21 by DSMITHHFX
To: graphitone 5 of 58
was Wolf New Order by iD? I had it in my head that someone else did it.

Haven't played Rage. I have about £22 in Steam credit but nothing in the sale's made me feel like I MUST HAVE IT so far. Maybe it's the season, too hot to game.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 6 of 58
you can fix it and lots more, high res textures and whatnot
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122440311
To: milko 7 of 58
Aye, you're right. It's by Bethesda and MachineGames, but uses the id tech engine - just like Rage does... if not directly an Id game, it retains a kinship. It's in the sale for £1.99, so like Smiffy says, it's worth a punt if you're looking for something new to play.

My eldest has been hankering after Lego Batman 3, so gonna get that as it's a fiver at the moment. Apart from that I'm not interested in much at the moment. Might get a song pack for Rocksmith, some of those are on sale at the moment.
To: graphitone 8 of 58
Oh, I've got Wolfenstein already. And the expansion! Should really play that a third time. 
To: graphitone 9 of 58
I'm seeing you quite a bit (and other teh cats) in game on insurgency but on account of my steam is fuxored (I have to launch outside steam, steam has to be running, go figure) can't establish an online game presence.
To: milko 10 of 58
Thanks!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 58
:C

Haven't played Insurgency in sometime, I'd like to give it another bash though.
To: ALL12 of 58
Installed it (17G, 4-hour dl for me) and took it for a quick spin at 1920x1080 res, textures low. It ran pretty smooth though I did get a low memory warning at one point and it exhibited the texture flashing which seems related to aggressive culling. Can't say it was that bothersome. The scenery is pretty good but also kind of cartoonish like that western-themed shooter I tried out last year and since deleted and otherwise forgot. The motion is a tad unreal, and the story thus far hackneyed. I turned the sound down too low to hear much of anything except some inane dialogue by my driver and guide. I got a gun, and a mission then I quit.
To: ALL13 of 58
Played a few more minutes. It went back to the beginning so I started it up and went and watched tv while it repeated the by now tedious opening cut scenes (no way to skip those apparently). Then, armed with a pistol and an atv I went off on the mission. So far no serious technical glitches despite two repeats of the out of memory warning (which I just clicked through). The graphics and action are remarkably similar to Call of Juarez, though I would put graphics a notch better here. The gunfights are relatively easy even when facing three opponents (I guess I'm on the default 'Normal' difficulty setting). The dudes who rush you with knives and clubs are trickier, and one got me in the end. The Mad Max comparison is holding up fairly well as the opponents are all mohawk-sporting maniacs and bandits in a dusty canyon.
To: ALL14 of 58
Re: steam sale generally; there were good savings to be made in the VR collection. I bought Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes, Pierhead Arcade , Kodon & VR photo viewer. I have already created an uncanny simulacrum of my front room, viewable with the HTC Vive in my front room...
To: Manthorp 15 of 58
Thus reigniting the debate: are we just a computer simulation?
To: Manthorp 16 of 58
Does the VR front room also contain a Manthorp avatar, Vive strapped to his head, viewing another Manthorp analog in his VR front room?

I'm envisaging some weird Throb inspired virtual sexual shenanigans that could take place, and I'm also having trouble getting rid of that image from my mind. :/

To: graphitone 17 of 58
An infinite regression of Throbs, each abusing the mesaThrob below.  It's a lovely image.
To: Manthorp 18 of 58
You need to do this to your Vive:

https://i.imgur.com/RFOZnOt.gifv
To: ALL19 of 58
I've not bought a single thing this sale - I just think of my backlog and decide meh. THATS never happened before. Maybe I really am Old  :-&   
To: koswix 20 of 58
That's brilliant.  I might have to!