General Election

To: ALL1 of 62
Whelp! Genius move on the Tory side, to be fair - don't think many people see Corbyn as a realistic vote, but then Brexit and Trump proved that surprises can happen!
To: Dan (HERMAND) 2 of 62
"Genius"?
EDITED: 18 Apr 2017 20:59 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 62
Well, evil genius perhaps.

I don't really understand the world at the moment. Most people when presented with Corbyn's policies agree with them, but don't like him because of spurious reasons. I think the main one that works with me is that his party absolutely fucks him up and there's basically nothing that can be done about it so he's cooked. Meanwhile the Tories can say things like "there should not be a Scottish Referendum during 'brexit' because it's distracting" and then suddenly flip on not having a general election and also timetable it for just eight weeks away and chicken out of TV debates beforehand that's apparently all going to be fine? Their "plan" for 'brexit' is obviously shit, their policies are largely obviously racist and/or evil for anybody that isn't already rich and May is utterly hopeless at all manner of important things. And this is probably going to see them through to a landslide win that sets us back decades in social progress, schools, probably irretrievably with the NHS, prisons, economy, aararaararrararrgh.

On the other hand, the fucking Lib Dems, as led by a chap who thinks you can "cure" the gays and has cheerfully said he'd go into coalition with the conservatives again to prop up their shit policies. (while also claiming to be the only party fighting against brexit, which is nice and easy to say when you've fuck-all MPs but even they didn't all vote against the Conservative motions so far!)

Argh!

I live in one of those knife edge Con/Lab areas so I have to vote Labour no matter what they're doing really. Well, unless they somehow come out to the right of Conservative which ought to be impossible except that as mentioned, reality is a bit broken just now so I shouldn't rule it out. By that point I hope I'd have emigrated.
To: ALL4 of 62
People see shit like this and think "haha, yeah! That's the way!"
https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/15E3B/production/_95695698_dmfrontpage19april.jpg

And not "jesus fucking christ I live in a real proper dystopia now don't I?"
To: milko 5 of 62
I don't quite know what to make of Corbyn. On the one hand I admire his tenacity and apparent integrity, on the other he is undeniably a huge liability just when the UK desperately needs a credible opposition. He hasn't really addressed the Brexit conundrum, but he seems to be anti-EU so in effect he has neutralized the defining national issue for Labour in this election. There's this odd, "what-me-worry", drifting quality about him (perhaps he is miscast by hostile news media?). The whole party is a vicious, back-stabbing mess, and it's hard to see who they could put forward in his place right now, because they would still lose, but possibly with more seats.
EDITED: 19 Apr 2017 16:04 by DSMITHHFX
To: milko 6 of 62
I'm unaware of any definition of genius that includes doing something so obvious it has been openly predicted and discussed for the past year.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 62
Hyperbole? Sarcasm? Oh the possibilities!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 8 of 62
He certainly is miscast by hostile news media but it seems it probably doesn't matter. They define the world and that's the end of it. He doesn't help himself a lot of the time (partly I think through an admirable but perhaps self-defeating refusal to lower himself to their level) and it doesn't matter. Labour hasn't got any credible alternative leader candidates and can't unite behind the one they've got so they're a failure. Sigh.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 9 of 62
In teh hive such usage demands a particular hue; neither milkface nor camperman were the slightest bit blue.
To: milko 10 of 62
>>Labour hasn't got any credible alternative leader candidates

This. They're all so shite and unlikeable. About the only one that could have made serious ground, and perhaps even taken the 2015 election, is off in New York playing thunderbirds. Not that I like him or agree with the majority of his (historic) stances on things, but he's got appeal to a lot of people.
To: milko 11 of 62
I have three main issues with Corbyn:

First, he was useless during the EU referendum. Sat just about on the Remain side, then did pretty much nothing.

Second, really did not like him using the party whips to push through a vote in favour of triggering Article 50, with no real attempt to challenge any bits of it. The HOL were far more use than he was at challenging some of the dodgier bits of it. Supporting it is fine, but he's supposed to be the opposition leader and is supposed to hold the government to account.

Thirdly, he doesn't come across as a strong leader. Decent enough chap with principles maybe, but a weak leader. And what Labour needs is a strong leader. Ergo, many people simply do not see him as viable PM material and Labour look pretty much unelectable whilst he's there.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 13 of 62
Of course we would, since we haven't actually left yet. Realistically negotiations haven't been started, and won't until after the election. Which reminds me, I need to register for a postal vote because I'll be on holiday.
To: Dave!! 14 of 62
That's all fine, I don't agree with all of it but fair enough. What next? If your answer is to vote Tory, that's bad. If it's to vote someone else, that might be bad if it's in an area where the only winner will be Labour or Conservative, thanks to our wonderful FPTP election. Otherwise, go for it! I'd probably vote Green if I could. Anyway, I'm interested.

edit - wait, did you say you're in Scotland these days. You also get to choose the SNP you lucky blighter.
EDITED: 21 Apr 2017 21:35 by MILKO
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 15 of 62
That would only cover sarcasm, Peter!
To: Dave!! 16 of 62
Tend to agree with Milko on these points.

Specifically 1 and 3: he was everywhere. I visited a couple of his events. They were well attended and had news and camera teams. Nothing they filmed ever appeared on National TV or radio or in the papers. Odd. It was as though they hadn't happened. Try to say that to anybody and you get, 'Yeah but, even so, surely....' 

I think it's easy to assume that this can't happen, that he must be as bad a leader and communicator as they say. But it does. It's not planned; there's no great conspiracy. There doesn't have to be.

Yes, I agree on point 2. But I suspect he's always had serious doubts about the EU. Him and me differ on this. I loath nationalism and it hits me in the heart that article 50 was signed. But there you go.

EDITED: 21 Apr 2017 22:31 by WILLIAMA
To: milko 17 of 62
Exactly, we do have SNP here. I don't agree with their nationalism, but they do actually seem to give a crap about the common person here, which is refreshing. Hence I can vote in a way that counts (to some degree) and which isn't Labour or Tory.
To: Dave!! 18 of 62
I'm considering Scotland as an emigration possibility if the independence vote looks likely. 
My main trouble is the same as going anywhere though, I haven't really sussed out what I'd do for work yet.
To: milko 19 of 62
Become a tour guide along the English/Scottish border.
To: milko 20 of 62
Yeah, it's always a tough one. I was forced to move here several years back as my girlfriend (now wife) got a job at Aberdeen University. Thankfully, the oil industry was still going well, so I managed to get an IT job at an oil services company. This then led to another (sub-contracted) job at GE.

Now, I work more generally for my company - still focusing exclusively on the GE side of things, but covering all of GE's operations in EMEA. It does at least mean that I'm pretty protected from the decline of the O&G industry as it's just a small part of my role, which is good. Unfortunately, the O&G decline does mean that job openings are a lot more sparse than they were 4 1/2 years ago when I moved up.
EDITED: 25 Apr 2017 17:55 by DAVE!!