In/out/shake it all about

To: ANT_THOMAS 17 of 93
You think the Conservatives can win an election after this?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 18 of 93
They don't need to - BoJo will win leadership, still have 4(?) years left on their term in office. There won't be an early election, but I bet no one complains about how he's an unelected prime minister like they did with Brown.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 19 of 93
What Kos said.

It's a Conservative Party thing, they elect a leader, they're the party in government, therefore the leader becomes PM. Much like Gordon Brown did.
To: koswix 20 of 93
Oh right :-(
To: ANT_THOMAS 21 of 93
Although saying that, they only have a majority of 17 or somethign so depending on how certain groups in the party behave it could be interesting...
To: ALL22 of 93
I feel like I live in a racist country of idiots. I know, not everyone. Enough though, plenty enough. 
To: ANT_THOMAS 23 of 93
I've not checked mine out, but will do when I get a minute.

Just saw this on the BBC's site:

Quote: 
But quitting the EU is not an automatic process - it has to be negotiated with the remaining members. These negotiations are meant to be completed within two years but the European Parliament has a veto over any new agreement formalising the relationship between the UK and the EU.
So, even after this vote, is it the situation that the European Parliament can veto what we've just decided at the polls?
To: milko 24 of 93
Not everyone, but about 52% of the population. :C

Edit - Actually, that's an egregious slur, inflated by my disappointment in the results.

However, the people I know and have spoken to about it, who voted out are, for the most part, 50yr+ who are racist.

EDITED: 24 Jun 2016 12:47 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 25 of 93
They can veto a proposed new trading (etc) agreement, not the referendum.
To: koswix 26 of 93
Can I come too? :D

The wife actually said she wanted to move to Scotland after hearing the result this morning.

What's your policy on immigration?

To: ALL27 of 93
wow, so glad you all decided to accept the 'democratic will of the people' with such good grace, would hate to see you get all bitter about it
To: JonCooper 28 of 93
I accept the will of the people, doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

I assume you accepted the will of the people electing Tony Blair as Prime Minister 3 times whilst being overjoyed?

To: JonCooper 29 of 93
Yeah I'm pretty bitter right now. Looks like we're heading for a deep recession, taking down much of Europe with us on that path. My kid's future prospects for just about everything are now adversely affected - education, healthcare, culture, travel. My own immediate prospects also seeing as the company I work for does a lot of work in Europe.

Meanwhile, as I posted on here a day or two ago, I don't believe many of the reasons people voted Leave are at all valid and I don't believe the government we're about to get from it are going to do anything good for those people either. And the main opposition party look like they're about to oust their leader and hop back on the immigration controls bandwagon that already failed them last GE, based on a 4 point gap in this referendum. It's an absolute joke.

I'm not really sure, Jon, what kind of reaction from us you'd be hoping for. Nobody's threatening civil war or to somehow 'undo' it, the vote is done and dusted. At some point in the next few days I wish to progress past grief and bitterness to some kind of hope that somehow we can rescue a good future out of this but right now I am not optimistic so please do share any thoughts you have along those lines, I would truly welcome it.
To: milko 30 of 93
I genuinely don't understand the whole "grief and bitterness" aspect

I have been hoping for this day for over 20 years and I'm amazed it has finally come

​Do you really think our country is so shit we can't decide things for ourselves any more? are we so dumbed down that we have to be told what to do?

Why will "
education, healthcare, culture, travel be  adversely affected" ? we will have more money available for things like that.

​I see a bright new future ahead, we can make our own trade deals deal with the whole world, we can choose our own immigration policy, our fishing, farming, etc will be conducted more fairly. Hopefully our old friends in the Commonwealth won't hold too many grudges for the appalling way we treated them when we joined the EU.

What we had was a shit deal with a shit organisation (even they admit that) - the future may be uncertain but almost anything has to be better.
To: ALL31 of 93
A few things come to mind about this:

1. Although leave was instigated and led by racist and nationalist scum like Farage and UKIP, I don't believe it is accurate or fair to cast all people with concerns about EU immigration crowding out jobs, housing and benefits, as 'racist'. There's a lot of wealth in Britain, but it was the poorest who bore the brunt of the impact. Due to lack of education, and/or poor information sources, those who are unable to work out who and what is really to blame, but desperate to lash out at anything with a target painted on it for them.

2. There was never a referendum about joining the EU, correct? Nobody got asked.

3. I personally feel, without a shred of evidence, that the result could *also* be interpreted as a referendum on the failed and harmful policies of Cameron and Osborne and predecessor governments (Blair, Brown) and the ruling elites who have benefited handsomely from these same policies. Yeah, the ones who fronted the Remain campaign.  The cycle of general elections has long been a hopeless charade, with lots of people feeling their voices, opinions and votes are considered irrelevant. So this was their one chance to stick it to the man, a populist revolt unfortunately hijacked by sleazy demagogues like Boris.
To: JonCooper 32 of 93
"I genuinely don't understand the whole "grief and bitterness" aspect"

Seriously? You haven't been paying attention.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 33 of 93
To: JonCooper 34 of 93
Told what to do? Well in terms of things like environmental rules to clean up our beaches, probably yes, but otherwise no. The EU doesn't/didn't really do that though? 

Education - requires funding, not austerity
Healthcare - see above plus staffing
Culture - see above
Travel - free movement ring any bells? I hope end up in Schengen as part of the trade deal now. Plus the £ is now worth shit against a lot of it so can we even afford it now.

As far as more money - hahaha. 11 years worth of that mythic "£350m weekly payments" has been wiped off our economy today alone. I can't even get my head around figures that size. Where's the 'more money' coming from?

Cornwall, Wales, North East, farmers - massive beneficiaries of EU funding and that's all going now. You reckon the Tories will make that up? 

We could already choose our own immigration policy. We'll now have less say over EU ones (Norway and Switzerland for reference) and exactly the same say over non-EU. 

We had the best deal of any EU member, now we'll get a punitive one to make sure nobody else wants to exit. We gotta hope that we can make some deals with the Commonwealth, USA and China that somehow make up for it, and have pretty much no diplomats with experience of making such deals either.

I absolutely hate this vague 'somehow anything will be better' with apparently no specific clue how that will be.
To: ANT_THOMAS 35 of 93
That was another stay/leave referendum.
To: ANT_THOMAS 36 of 93
we were already in then

and TBH, I didn't like the Blair years, but I didn't like the Cameron years much either, I think it's time to step away for the two party system. 

I think I'd like some system where we are governed by the best people available, wherever they're from. Not the pushiest of a minority group most of us wouldn't want to be seen with.