Seasons

To: graphitone 1 of 8
(So as not to detail Kos's quest...)

> I always thought that describing what happens in a season is a pretty poor naming convention. Also, why the one out of the four?

As much as I share your dislike for the term, you're talking bollocks...

fall (n.)
Sense of "autumn" (now only in U.S. but formerly common in England) is by 1660s, short for fall of the leaf (1540s).

Combined with...

winter (n.)
Old English winter (plural wintru), "the fourth and coldest season of the year, winter," from Proto-Germanic *wintruz "winter" (cognates: Old Frisian, Dutch winter, Old Saxon, Old High German wintar, German winter, Danish and Swedish vinter, Gothic wintrus, Old Norse vetr "winter"), probably literally "the wet season," from PIE *wend-, from root *wed- (1) "water, wet" (see water (n.1)).

and...

spring (n.1)
season following winter, the vernal season, c. 1400, earlier springing time (late 14c.), which replaced Lent, the Old English word. From spring (v.); also see spring (n.3). The notion is of the "spring of the year," when plants begin to rise (as in spring of the leaf, 1520s), from the noun in its old sense of "action or time of rising or springing into existence."

Oh hey, there they go talking about that leaf again.

But at least there's still one that's... oh, wait, what's that...

summer (n.1)
...blah blah blah... Sanskrit sama "season, half-year,"
That's the worst fucking one of the lot! Not even anything to do with the big burny hot thing in the sky?

Dead Plants.
Rainy Times.
New Plants.
The Other Bit.

>.<

EDITED: 9 May 2016 23:04 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 2 of 8
Of course I'm speaking bollocks. T'was merely an asinine thing.

Some good research there though, PB.

For your next project can you find out why, after wiping away the morning's toothpaste residue from around my lips it can reappear some time later on, requiring a re-wipe?
To: graphitone 3 of 8
Rabies.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 4 of 8
Arse biscuits. I suspected as much.
To: graphitone 5 of 8
My daughter got bitten by a rabid cat when she was wee.  You are in for a treat!  Maybe you should try wiping your mouth a little longer or face a menacing array of shots for a couple of weeks!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 6 of 8
 :-S

To: graphitone 7 of 8
Think I got you now.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 8
This proves nothing except the English language has evolved here, whilst they're still talking Middle English in the US of A.

Probablymaybeprapsnot.