arch efi boot buggery

To: ALL1 of 8
So I managed to screw up something and end up with confusingness in my boot options and they all don't work and just land me back in the BIOSUEFI config.

I was following the waffley Beginners' guide and I think the issue is that I missed mounting /mnt/boot the first time round, which caused the "bootctl install" step to fail, and when I redid that I should have also redone the fstab command but I didn't so even though the installation completed it wasn't there after reboot.

Oh... or, it might also be because I didn't read the line "When successful, create a boot entry as described in systemd-boot#Configuration (replacing $esp with /boot), or adapt the examples in /usr/share/systemd/bootctl/." and haven't done that bit either. Argh! I swear I used a better guide last time round. :/

Anyway, both those should be fixable just by re-booting from USB and running the relevant commands, yes?
Or is there any reason I might want to re-format the disk and start the whole install again?

Attachments:
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 2 of 8
Yeah, the beginner's guide has got worse lately.

But yeah, if you boot the usb (or any live Linux) and chroot into your install, you should be able to fix it. (Though starting again may well be quicker).
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 8
Also EFI can go fuck itself. They actually managed to make something, from a user POV, worse than BIOS.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 4 of 8
This.

Only ever had issues with EFI/SecureBoot/Whatever else it's called.

I remember all that coupled with an nvidia optimus setup led me to selling the system on ebay.
To: ANT_THOMAS 5 of 8
Same, it's a load of fucking bollocks.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 6 of 8
Even if it takes longer, I'd prefer to fix it, to help make sure I know what I'm doing.

Didn't get a chance to look at it today though - got fuck all of anything done thanks to constant interruptions and distractions. Not sure whether to count not thumping everyone as an achievement or a failure. X-S

To: ALL7 of 8
Well that was a lot more effort than it should have been, though I can't blame EFI - my initial mistake plus the lack of clear information/explanations in the wiki (and search engines being their usual shitness) were all bigger factors.

It was also not as much of an ordeal as getting MusicBee running through Wine! I flaming did it though! :D

EDITED: 17 Mar 2016 00:29 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 8
(cheer)