Hands up if you're stupid...

To: ANT_THOMAS 31 of 110
Teapot sounds ace.

I have a cup that I keep meaning to bring to work. At the moment I have a very generic 'Searches UK' mug that I found in the kitchen here, after smashing my other one into the server room door in a fit of clumsiness.

It's got our town's clock tower on on side, and the moon on the other. I'll try and find a pic...
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)31 Jul 2015 21:57
To: ANT_THOMAS 32 of 110
You are a diamond, Antoine.

I daren't show that to Emily, she's a major Pooh fan and she'll want one. Or yours!
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 33 of 110
I'm kind of used to my 8.1 at this point. Think I'll stick with it a while. I prefer to give them some time. Time to work out at least the bulk of the inevitable bugs their new versions always seem to come equipped with when first released.
To: ANT_THOMAS 34 of 110
In three words, strong and milky.
To: graphitone 35 of 110
A horse? :?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 36 of 110
I'm happy with 7 for all my Video Editing and Gaming needs.

Probably won't get 10 unless/until I get a new machine, which will probably be a couple of years from now.

When people used to ask if I wanted a tea or a coffee I'd ask for coffee, black with no sugar. No way they could mess it up (too milky or too sweet) then.
And it would taste as foul no matter how much coffee was put in.
To: Voltane 37 of 110
For gaming, isn't dx12 meant to be A Good Thing?
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 38 of 110
Yeah, or some sort of ravenous stoat. I just imagined an animal on there.

Conceits aside, I bet I'm right about the handle.
To: Voltane 39 of 110
My wife always has black coffee, I am surprised at the amount of people who ask if she wants milk in her black coffee ...
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 40 of 110
Having tried out all the preview builds on a spare laptop here, I think I'll wait for MS to finish Windows 10 properly before I use it. The final RC was still very messy, certainly to the level that I highly doubted all the bugs and inconsistencies would be fixed before release (just not enough time left). Basically, my findings very much mirrored These.

Also, El Reg has had numerous articles up lately about bugs, crashes and other such issues, so I reckon I'll wait a bit until 10.1 comes along and Microsoft actually fix it. At the moment, I just can't help feeling that they'd committed so much to this release date that they found it preferable to release an unfinished product, rather than push the date back by a month or so...
To: Dave!! 41 of 110
Welcome to the world of software development. You never release a final product, even before The Internet, this never happened. Someone somewhere who has control of the purse strings will tell you enough is enough.

As it is, it was probably already pushed back several times already, considering it was supposed to be an updated to Windows 8 originally.

With The Internet being as ubiquitous as it is now, releasing software on shorter release cycles is definitely a good thing. And Microsoft have already said this is what they are doing now and there will be an SR1/10.1 for Windows 10 before end of this year.

To: Matt 42 of 110
I find it a mixed thing. For smaller apps, no big deal. But for something as key as an OS, it seems as if a lot of the care and consideration has been dropped recently. There's no need any more to carefully design something when you can just shove any old rubbish out the door and keep changing it and modifying it every 5 seconds.

This is one of the reasons I ditched Firefox as a browser. Their rapid release cycle meant that they were constantly removing features, shifting things around, breaking things and forcing me to have to keep tweaking my add-on list to fix things back again. I got sick of opening my browser and finding that it wasn't working properly any more and needed tweaking back into shape every couple of months.

With Windows 10 being basically released when it's clearly not properly finished, we're in this situation again. Sorry, but I prefer the old-school way of thinking where a team carefully designed something that's coherent and well designed (ie, Windows 7), rather than just rushing out a buggy, confusing and incomplete pile of shite and thinking "It's OK, we can just fix it later".

Not saying Windows 10 is shite mind you, and I also appreciate that post-release bugs and issues arise in all products, but Windows 10 definitely could have benefited from being finished properly before being released...
EDITED: 2 Aug 2015 15:16 by DAVE!!
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 Aug 2015 21:09
To: Voltane 43 of 110
quote: Voltane
I'd ask for coffee, black with no sugar. No way they could mess it up ... then.

In a word, Nescafé

To: koswix 44 of 110
Yeah, Direct X 12 is supposed to be good but I'm not sure any games take advantage of it yet.

And i'm not worried about running everything at max resolution so i'll stick at Win7.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 45 of 110
Nescafe is owned by Nestle so I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 Aug 2015 22:23
To: Voltane 46 of 110
I drink and eat Nestlé stuff, it doesn't bother me.

But Nescafé bothers me. Greatly.
To: Matt 47 of 110
Windows is in a weird position now, though. It's still overwhelmingly dominant on the PC, obviously, but it's in a strange kind of dead-end.

Outside of the PC it's irrelevant (ignoring WinCE embedded stuff which is more of an anomaly than anything else) and the narrative for the past few years has been that the desktop is dead/dying. Which is obviously bollocks but it's certainly true that mobile has been the growth area for the last few years and MS have spectacularly failed to do anything at all in that market.

So they're left with a woefully outdated* desktop OS and their choice is: play it safe and give that creaky old OS another new coat of paint or play it risky, try to shoehorn that OS onto mobile and hope for some penetration (YJ).

And they've kinda opted for... both. Which leaves them with a technically quite good but massively unpopular mobile OS and a technically dead but massively popular (though not hugely profitable) desktop OS. They can't afford to do an actual new Windows for a market no one is sure matters any more but they can't withdraw from a market they have like 90% share of. So... we get Windows 10, while they figure out what the fuck to do and/or hope that people suddenly start liking Windows on mobile.

And with the diminishing significance of the OS on the platform they still control (largely due to the rise of web-apps but the diversification of computing in general has played a big part too) they're slowly bleeding out in that market too as users opt for Macs, Chromebooks or just an Android/iOS tablet instead of a laptop.

It'll take a long long time for MS to lose their dominance on PC, obviously, but without new tech or genuine new features (so not Cortana) even fanboys are going to struggle to find reasons to stay after a while.

* Basically the NT4 kernel; weird, semi-64bit support (and mostly 32bit userland); outdated, feature-poor filesystem (which is poor on SSDs) - no snapshotting, no decent built-in (and trusted) encrytion, no decent (i.e. 'free') compression, no (real) on the fly-resizing, no pooling/cloning/subvolumes etc. etc.; Poor security model (even aside from NSA-backdoor concerns (which business in particular is increasingly concerned about)); No real sandboxing (nothing like chroots or BSD jails); terrible containerisation support; shitty VM tech and no in-kernel hypervisor.
To: graphitone 48 of 110
You're curious.

Which two fingers and how?

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 49 of 110
I suspect 90% of people would be similar, but it'd be index and middle finger wrapped around the handle, coming back into one's palm with the thumb placed on top to steady things.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 50 of 110
When I say 'attempted', what I actually mean is that I got home from work, turned my machine on expecting it to notify me to install. It didn't, so I didn't.

I'm happy to wait for the notification rather than faff about with an ISO or USB install.