Nuchal Translucency

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)22 May 2015 12:40
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 17 of 34
I'm really sorry to hear that JOE :(
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 18 of 34
Rubbish mate. I am sorry you have to make those sort of decisions, that must be awful. Me and my wife have had a few conversations about what we would do if that situation arose and we were both on the same wave length. I hope you two can talk it through and make a decision soon, don't leave it hanging, it won't help you are the baby.

To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 19 of 34
Sorry. Is it entirely hopeless then?

Quote: 
Wish I hadn't seen the scans.
That's a tough one for sure.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 20 of 34
Sorry to hear that :( 
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 21 of 34
:( big manly hugs, whatever you decide and whatever happens I honestly hope it's for the better.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 22 of 34
Sorry ((((Joe and family)))) x
To: fixrman 23 of 34
What's done is done...well, this time last week actually.

Long story short, the foetus had Downs. In some ways, the decision would have been easier had the foetus had Edward's or Patau syndrome as they essentially make the foetus unviable and the decision is made for you.

Downs is a much trickier decision. Essentially, I thought Downs was slight to severe mental disability along with the slight physical deformities that are signature to Downs. Turns out after reading (fucking loads) that all that is just the tip of the iceberg, and amongst many other reasons, we're older parents and didn't feel we had the right to sign up our perfectly healthy daughter to look after a disabled sibling after we pop our clogs.

I know other people might have different views on this stuff, and frankly, it's been a week I still have trouble with the decision we made even though I know it was the 'right' one for us and our family, but it still sucks and I can't get the 'heart beating on the scan' memories out of my head for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Shit, at 12 weeks they look fully fucking formed on the screen.

Anyway, I need to draw a line and venting does make me feel a bit better. What's done is done. Move on, move on.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 24 of 34
(hug)
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 25 of 34
....we're older parents and didn't feel we had the right to sign up our perfectly healthy daughter to look after a disabled sibling after we pop our clogs.

Vent away.

In my completely unqualified opinion this is more than enough of a reason.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 Jun 2015 16:33
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 26 of 34
Not that this makes things easier, but I agree with Ant. I think we would've made the same decision*.

Sorry all the same :(

* Fiona and I, not Ant and I.
EDITED: 3 Jun 2015 16:34 by MR_BASTARD
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 27 of 34
Horrible decision to have to make. :(
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 28 of 34
Sorry to hear about this - hugs!
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 29 of 34
I cannot begin to imagine having to make a decision as you did; there are too many variables.

I may have mentioned in this forum at one time or another that my daughter has epilepsy, medically intractable. She is on a lot of medication that has many effects on her as the epilepsy itself does. By all appearances she seems "normal" to everyone, but that changes quickly if they happen to view one of her seizures.

During school, the kids were not particularly kind to her, especially [some of] her "friends". There was one girl up our street who Sarah was friendly with, being her first friend when they moved to our neighbourhood. Dayna and Sarah played a lot together early on, but when Sarah was diagnosed with E at 11, things started to change as did the circle of friends. Dayna became "popular" and spent less time with Sarah, especially after Sarah began having the seizures. This was mostly due to other friend's influences.

Unfortunately, Dayna was discovered to have desmoplastic small round "blue cell" tumour cancer (DSRCT) at age 15, an unusual and agressive form of cancer that usually only affects boys (5-1). Sarah loved Dayna; I know this because she still sleeps with a plush moose toy that they bought together early on. She cherishes a few things that Dayna's mom gave her after Dayna died, a mere 8 months after diagnosis. Unfortunately because the other girls were mostly around, Sarah was not comfortable being with them, so Dayna missed out on support from a person who could have helped a lot.

I shudder to think of what Dayna's parents - or I - might have decided to do were we given a choice during pregnancy. I am not sure which heartache would be worse.

Blessings and peace to you.
EDITED: 5 Jun 2015 11:19 by FIXRMAN
To: fixrman 30 of 34
It doesn't bear thinking about really. Of course, you know had the testing process come up negative throughout and Downs (or something else) sneaked through, you would have still loved that child with all your heart despite decisions you might have made had you of known early on what to expect. It's thoughts like that that make the decision hard to reconcile.

There's no easy out with these situations, and of course you never know what's around the corner (as Dayna's poor parents had to endure). Everyone probably has stories like these (I have a cousin that died at 16 of an inoperable brain tumour that she'd lived with since pre-puberty), and maybe it's kind of a morbid solace you can take in that you're not the only one who's had to make these decisions, and other people know what you've gone through. I mean, the person we saw at Broomfield Hospital is essentially the 'bad news' midwife. That's her job...her full time job. That tells you something. It really is a miracle when they pop out healthy!

Thanks.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 31 of 34
 :'-( 
Still big manly hugs, seriously.. 
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 32 of 34
I sense the love for the child in any case.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 33 of 34
((((Jeez & Ms. Jeez)))) Emotionally harrowing decision to have to make.  I'd have made same decision as long as my partner was of the same opinion.
To: Queeg 500 (JESUSONEEZ) 34 of 34
Sorry you had such a hard decision to make.

OK, as you alluded to, I'm someone who might not have made the same decision, but I'm already in at the deep end, so have a different perspective, anyhow. Though, truth be known, if I got knocked up, now, I'd be in a right old panic and seriously doubting if we could introduce anyone else to our family without Consequences,so there would be a similar decision to make for different reasons. It's a case of doing what's best for the family you have.
EDITED: 11 Jun 2015 11:20 by YVE